What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The long ride home!

Jetguy

Well Known Member
After a great stay at OSH N1212K lifted off at 845amct to start the long trek home to North Texas. 14year old daughter in right seat for company.;) Moms headed to MKE to fly AA to DFW. Weather at the show was spectacular, although as we lifted off a big wad of showers off to the west. Attendance at the show seemed really good. Can't wait to see the numbers. Seemed like there was a recaord amount of planes in attendance to probably because of the good weather. Our first stop is SFY on the Mississippi for 91 mogas.:)

In case your wondering when flying low you can get an occasional cell connection for weather update and for the occasional post. So I'm coming to you live from the left seat.:D Sorry not a good enough connection for pics.:mad:

Flying onward!

Took off SFY at 1030amct and headed down the Mississippi. Flew circles around the American Pickers store in LeClair, saw their Van parked out front. Stayed over the river as long as we could. Then picked up a direct heading to LXT. Landed there at 120pmct. They have a courtesy car there so off to lunch we'll go.:) At LXT I'll fill my aux tank and go non stop to home base, 16X. ETA there 6pmct. Makes for a long day.:p Will sleep Good to night being off those hard dorm beds. Flying down from OSH reminds me of the vastness of the USA and the large amount of farming going on. I once read somewhere that the USA feeds 80% of the worlds starving people although we don't get credit for it. $ 3.40 per gal at LXT.:eek:

Landed 16x 615pmct, flying time 7.9 hrs. The last leg we went to 10300' to stay cool and avoid any head wind. Went to a,"What's new at Vans", forum Thursday. On the subject of the RV12 it continues to evolve with over 400 flying. I noted a few things, they have moved the the exhaust aft reducing oil temp by 11f, they are making a kit to split the aft bulkhead ready over the winter. No more tank removal or bending the aft bulkhead to view behind. No R&D on the option of having the 912IS yet, they are just to busy with other stuff. They are recommending that a digital level be used to make sure each blade is within .1 degree of each other. As also announced Dynon will offer a upgrade in the fall for Skyview to be 2020 compliant as well as Garmin G3X owners. So far for us original D180 guys it's NavWorx Exp or FreeFlight as the cheapest route. For now I'm waiting as thing are constantly evolving.

The Aux tank is in the mod sticky thread!;)

Back