What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

5th yr condition inspection

dick seiders

Well Known Member
Mine's due in Sept. Would appreciate if those who have already been there would highlight critical items obstacles such as fuel pump replacement, hoses, carbs work, and or anything else that may have turned up. Many thanks.
Dick Seiders 120093

Ok so no one wants to talk about this and that's ok. So would anyone help me with where to find hoses with firesleeve and/or without for the total hose renewal deal after 5 yrs of great flying? I suppose I could call Vans but thought I would get re acquainted with all ya'll. Thanks.
Dick Seiders 120093
ps need new fuel pump as well.

Hi Dick,

Is this on a SLSA or ELSA RV-12?

The hose replacement isn't hard. It's more time consuming over anything else. Should take one day if you have the tools and or some experience.
You'll need carb rubber sockets, carb socket "O" rings, carb diaphragms, 66mm carb balance tube hose, Possibly fuel hose depending on what hose you have installed. 17mm coolant hose, 1 x 90 degree 17mm coolant hose, oil hoses, 1" (25mm) coolant hose. A gallon of anti-freeze, some extra oil and the ability to do an oil purge.

Fire sleeve is reusable. You'll need some band clamps like Oetiker or Fuel injection clamps. You'll need some Band-It clamps for the fire sleeve. If you must use a worm drive clamp use a Wurth raised rib clamp and not the serrated worm drive clamp like you get at Ace Hardware.

Everything is straight forward. Take one thing off at a time and put it back like you found ait and you won't have any problems.

May not need to replace all hoses

If I read some of the previous thread comments and the revised maintenance manual correctly. only the Rotax-supplied hoses must be replaced at 5 years. Hoses supplied by Van's (I.e., any hose with a VA part number., mostly oil hoses) don't need replaced until 10 years. Could Scott weigh in?

Wayne

Thanks for the feedback all.
Response to ?:
ELSA
old style (original) pump
I will check out hose suppliers
dick seiders 120093

Well now that is good news! Thank you. Not only reducing expenses but an extra 5yrs on the oil hoses also means we don't have to purge the oil system which as I recall was a tiresome procedure.
(actual pause here to check manual)
I just looked at the Rotax manual and unfortunately it calls for a tank cleanout at 200 hrs. Still- not having to replace the oil hoses and firesleeve is a big plus.
dick seiders 120093

Dick,

At the ROTAX course the instructor said the 200 hour tank disassembly for cleaning isn't worth the trouble. In the end we all decide what we need to do and live with the consequences.

Rich

We have to give credit to Dave G for doing the excellent pictures for the 912 fuel line installation manual.

We utilized his blog as a good starting point for the 912 fuel line installation manual. That manual is located on our website under the RV-12 Fuel Line retrofit page.

Also, thanks to all of our beta testers whom we work with on many of our projects. Without you, we wouldn't be able to bring out the multitude of items for a variety of different aircraft that we do.

Steve

Back