What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Low Profile Wheel Chocks

MVPILOT

Well Known Member
I learned that the really nice aluminum wheel chocks I own aren't going to work with the wheel pants on my RV-12 because they are too tall. Any sources or suggestions for low profile wheel chocks besides the 1.5" poorly rated low profile wood chocks from Sporty's?

Buy some aluminum angle and build your own! It is an easy project and you will save some $$$.

3/4" PVC works great, costs pennies, and weighs practically nothing.
Use 3 pieces and 2 elbows for each chock.

A piece of one inch dia. poly rope wrapped around the tire in a U shape works great.
Easy to store Easy to make and weighs practically nothing.

Chief Aircraft has some nice aluminum wheel chocks in different sizes.
I keep them in the plane while traveling since most FBO's don't have anything that will work. Even different colors available.

I learned that the really nice aluminum wheel chocks I own aren't going to work with the wheel pants on my RV-12 because they are too tall. Any sources or suggestions for low profile wheel chocks besides the 1.5" poorly rated low profile wood chocks from Sporty's?

Why not grind them down?

Why not grind them down?

Grinding them down is good, however grind them such that one side of the angle is 1" and the other is 1.5", that way when you put them under the tires the right way, rolling pressure from the tires should eliminate the tendency for the chocks to slide away from the tire regardless of the surface. Or... you can purchase 2 feet of 1" X 1.5" X 1/8" 2024T3 aluminum angle from Spruce @ $7.65 per foot (part number 03-47400) and make your own set of 6" chocks that will work great... You can drill a small hole near one end of each chock and slip through brightly colored water resistant (thin) rope and you've got your two sets of chocks. I've been using my home-make chocks like this for 10 years and they work perfectly on the small RV tires. Inexpensive, small, and light (total weight = 0.7lbs)... and the plane doesn't move! :)

Good luck.

you can purchase 2 feet of 1" X 1.5" X 1/8" 2024T3 aluminum angle from Spruce @ $7.65 per foot (part number 03-47400) and make your own set of 6" chocks that will work great... You can drill a small hole near one end of each chock and slip through brightly colored water resistant (thin) rope and you've got your two sets of chocks.

No need for aircraft grade alum angle, stuff from the local hardware store is fine------------and much cheaper.

Chocks

1/16 x 1 1/2 angle from Lowes or Home Depot. Very small bungee cords from same source to hold them together. The small bungee cords can easily be shortened. Crimp the metal ends of the bungees in three places, leave one open to install and remove the chocks. Paint them yellow or orange. heavy duty zip lock plastic bag to carry them in.

Marshalling wand

I bought one of the bright orange triangular marshalling wands, cut it in half and have a lightweight pair with no denting corners.
Think the idea came from here...

Mel,
This is off topic but have followed your posts for a while and would like details on your 0-320 rebuild. Know you're at OSH, when you get an opportunity. I have a couple of mechanics who are very willing to oversee my work. Looking for info on which cylinders, pistons (9-1), connecting rod prep. Currently the engine has dual Lightspeed ignition, no vacumn system, lightweight starter, and rebuilt carb. Thanks for your consideration.

Mark Weber

Mel,
This is off topic but have followed your posts for a while and would like details on your 0-320 rebuild. Know you're at OSH, when you get an opportunity. I have a couple of mechanics who are very willing to oversee my work. Looking for info on which cylinders, pistons (9-1), connecting rod prep. Currently the engine has dual Lightspeed ignition, no vacumn system, lightweight starter, and rebuilt carb. Thanks for your consideration.
Mark Weber

Email sent.

Back