What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon New 2020 Compliant WAAS

Dynon does it again. At $590 and a plug and play. WOW.

Any word on when they are available?

Exactly what I expected from Dynon - well done.

This snippet in their press release gives a hint about the extra cost for certification...

What is the difference between the SV-GPS-250 and
the SV-GPS-2020?

Both are WAAS GPS receivers that update position at
4-5Hz. The SV-GPS-250?s design utilizes high volume
commercial GPS components that yield a lower price
point ($200). However, this design does not have
the documented design data and integrity checking
necessary to prove it meets the FAA?s 2020 performance
requirements. The SV-GPS-2020 has the design data
demonstrating that it meets the FAR performance
requirements

Could this open the window for GPS approaches without having a certified GPS such as a 430/650 or equivalent?

Could this open the window for GPS approaches without having a certified GPS such as a 430/650 or equivalent?

No. See the FAQ here: http://www.thenewskyview.com/sv-gps-2020

Does the SV-GPS-2020 turn my EFIS into IFR-capable navigator?
No. Although the SV-GPS-2020 is a WAAS GPS and is meets the performance requirements of 91.225 to be a 2020-compliant ADS-B position source, that fact alone does not make it suitable for IFR use. IFR-authorized GPS navigators are subject to additional performance requirements that cover the display, software, navigational databases, and more.

Not being a technical genius, I have to ask this question and please be nice if it shows my stupidity. If I were to install this to comply with the mandate but then decide in the future, I wanted ADSB-IN, would I be installing an entirely new OUT/IN system?

One thing is not clear to me: Does the SV-GPS-2020 is all what I need to get ADSB-out if I have got the Skyview ADSB-In option or are there more components (like software or firmware) not yet available that will be needed for 2020 compliance?

Not being a technical genius, I have to ask this question and please be nice if it shows my stupidity. If I were to install this to comply with the mandate but then decide in the future, I wanted ADSB-IN, would I be installing an entirely new OUT/IN system?

The new Dynon GPS goes paired with their (Dynon/Trig) 1090ES Transponder (hopefully you already have one of those) and that gives you ADSB-Out.

The Dynon ADSB-In box is a separate thing all together and uses UAT to get the incoming data stream of traffic and weather. The only real connection between the two is you get more traffic on your IN if you have a valid OUT. :)

There are so many things in flux right now, it's kind of an exciting time. Just as predicted more options would start to appear as we get closer to the deadline.

One thing is not clear to me: Does the SV-GPS-2020 is all what I need to get ADSB-out if I have got the Skyview ADSB-In option or are there more components (like software or firmware) not yet available that will be needed for 2020 compliance?

According to the Dynon info posted today all you need is this new SV-GPS-2020 and the Dynon/Trig 1090ES Transponder. oh ya, and a skyview to run it all.

So if like me you have a Skyview, Transponder, and Dynon's ADSB-In box all you need to do is replace your current Dynon GPS with this new one later in the fall when they start shipping. Same wires, same hookup, and we should be good to go! It's a nice solution for someone already committed to Dynon products.

According to the Dynon info posted today all you need is this new SV-GPS-2020 and the Dynon/Trig 1090ES Transponder. oh ya, and a skyview to run it all.

So if like me you have a Skyview, Transponder, and Dynon's ADSB-In box all you need to do is replace your current Dynon GPS with this new one later in the fall when they start shipping. Same wires, same hookup, and we should be good to go! It's a nice solution for someone already committed to Dynon products.

Thanks Andy. I have the Skyview and Dynon's GPS and mode S transponder but I have delayed ADSB-in installation waiting for this ADSB-out clarification. As I am not keen to ride the "bleeding edge", I plan to wait until the end of next year to install both ADSB-in and replace the GPS with the 2020 model. In the mean time and as I am quite happy with the TIS traffic provided through Skyview, I have another point that needs clarification: what will be the impact of the 2015 changes on TIS traffic if any? I understand that ADSB traffic is more thorough than TIS thanks to the involvement of ground stations and I would consider an earlier ADSB installation only if my TIS traffic data would be degraded after 2015.

The SV-GPS-2020 doesn't change anything about the way SkyView and ForeFlight communicate. It's a higher integrity GPS for ADS-B Out purposes. The features you ask about are certainly possible, and we're registering your interest. Make sure you let ForeFlight know what you'd like to see from them/us too!

Thank you Dynon!
Dynon tech support is the best . . . bar none.
Soon, I will be springing for additional SkyView products for my airplane.

Back