What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Bulge/Cabin Vent?

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Like everyone else, the lower sides of my canopy bulge out a bit creating an air outflow at cruise. Dawned on me (after 4.5 years!) that with the cabin vents open I'm scooping a lot of high-pressure air into the cabin that doesn't have anyplace to go. I'm thinking of adding a couple of vents (reversed scoops) in either the baggage compartment or under the slanted rear part of the cabin side below the canopy rest. Anyone tried anything like this?

Wayne

Some people have put vents somewhere behind the pilot in what they thought would be a low pressure area. There were surprised that it turned out to be a high pressure area and air from the new vent was blowing on the back of their neck.

I have survived three summers in my RV-12 in Phoenix without any modifications. I don't think extra vents are worth it.

What about venting through the baggage bulkhead into the tail cone? That is then open at the tail end.

OK, so a vent needs to be

at or forward of the widest point of the fuselage. I haven't measured (something to try soon) but I think the canopy bulges more with the cabin scoops open than with them closed. If that's the case, the incoming cooling air is pressurizing the cabin and would go out of a properly located vent. I'll try measuring this soon.

A standard build RV-12 already has an adequate cabin venting path via the openings in the baggage bulkhead because of the corrugations.

If a builder chose to install an upholstered baggage bulkhead cover which blocks that path, then opening the fresh air vents or turning on cabin heat will pressurize the cockpit and have an effect on the seal of the canopy.

Back