What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Failed Canopy Gas Struts

There is no carbon fiber up there, only fiberglass. The attach bolt is actually going thru the aluminum canopy frame, but since it is to be left loose and only going thru support on one side, it is not an ideal attachment.
[u
I think any engineer would want both metal rod ends and a through bolt at the top end. The current design is simply going to fail at some point due to the plastic rod ends breaking out at the top end when the canopy is allowed to open without restraint or in a wind/prop blast that is going to happen sometime in the life of the bird. Even with a metal rod end at the top there will someday be a failure of the screw through the carbon fiber on only one side up there. Van's airplanes are such masterly designed airplanes it's hard to understand how the canopy strut design was allowed in the plan.
EBB

OK Don,
I like your idea of using struts with more dampening. It would take longer to open and close, but with less risk of canopy damage.

I prop my canopy open during ground operations with a 1 X 2 block lying on the canopy rail. Even in PHX it provides enough ventilation in summer, but doesn't offer much sail area if the wind gusts.

I have been considering a mod using a 1/8" cable to stop the canopy opening just short of putting stress on the gas strut rod ends. Coupled with that excellent idea using the tubes around the gas strut to prevent sudden closure that should protect me from any incidents.

I won't be doing any work on it until the heat passes here in PHX. Fall would be a good time to try this.

BTW I also leave the upper gas strut attach screws backed out a little to let the rod end move without stressing it. After 350 hrs the only incident I've had was the wind slamming the canopy shut.

canopies, canopies, canopies, in the glider world the rule of thumb is to always keep them closed and latched! very expensive. if it is that hot out they will put a canopy cover on. so that is my advice. close it, latch it, and cover it up if it is too hot out.
_DSC6038%20copy.jpg

Good advice, Ed, but we still gotta get in and out of the beasts with the wind blowing!😁

But you can be concious of the wind, direction, and intensity. It's pretty easy to get in the habit of treating the canopy as a fragile piece of an airplane. Making sure that it is resting on the stops at either end of its travel before removing your hand from the frame or handle, holding the canopy while taxiing if there is any concern about wind blowing it open are not hard habits to get into. Canopies are not like car doors. It is unreasonable to expect them to gracefully tolerate the high shock forces of being slammed open or slammed shut. Off soapbox.

All true, but it is difficult to unload with one hand while holding on to the canopy with the other in a stiff wind.

Back