What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Step hole

Flyer68

Well Known Member
I am installing the step to the wing and it leaves a good size hole where it penetrates the fusulage. What have you been using to seal the hole after the step is installed?

You say "step to the wing", you are referring to the step that mounts to the fuselage that allows you to step up to the wing right?

I've put off doing this until the very end and I'm about at that point right now. I was considering using some proseal to fill the gap.

I also found that with the forward bottom skin installed, the step won't quite fit through the hole in the correct orientation. It looks like I may have to open up the hole a tiny bit. I was wondering if this is a common problem.

step hole

Yes, I am referring to the step to the wing. I also considered pro seal, but decided to explore other possibilities first. I am enlarging the holes to fit the step, slightly.

Buy some fairings

Yes, I am referring to the step to the wing. I also considered pro seal, but decided to explore other possibilities first. I am enlarging the holes to fit the step, slightly.

I'm surprised that the step doesn't fit in the hole without massaging the hole. As for plugging up the gaps, I just added some fairings. I wouldn't seal things up with Devil's Snot (proseal)--makes removal later for painting and such a pain.

Store-bought fairings:
http://www.knots2u.net/rv-12-step-fairing-set-of-2/

Be careful using silicone (as Van did) if you want to paint this area. His airplane is polished in this area so he can get away with it. Personally, I didn't do anything and it looks just fine but if I did want to do something, I'd go with Proseal.

Thanks guys, I think the silicone/proseal is the way to go. I'll have to think on that. Doesn't leaving the hole alone let it bring in cold air and isn't it noisy?

I'm surprised that the step doesn't fit in the hole without massaging the hole. As for plugging up the gaps, I just added some fairings. I wouldn't seal things up with Devil's Snot (proseal)--makes removal later for painting and such a pain.

Store-bought fairings:
http://www.knots2u.net/rv-12-step-fairing-set-of-2/

Thanks for the link. I was checking the final fit yesterday and it was the first time I noticed how poorly the top part of the exterior portion of step fits up against the fuselage. Prior to yesterday, I had only looked from inside the cabin.

Those fairing would certainly give a more finished look. However, since I'm going ELSA, I'll start with proseal and add the fairing before painting.

Thanks guys, I think the silicone/proseal is the way to go. I'll have to think on that. Doesn't leaving the hole alone let it bring in cold air and isn't it noisy?
Everything lets in cold air - there are a number of places where you will want to add some protection. I tend to keep anything I plug with easy to remove - letting air in during the summer months is a feature.

This area is covered with padding and carpet, so no. I get most of my cold air from around the canopy rails and the flap handle, although both are sealed.

Back