What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 21: Adding a 3rd seat floor hinge

magiccarpet

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi all
I have read numerous posts about seat positions for tall pilots in a RV-12.
I am rather short with 5'7" and considering to install a 3rd seat floor piano hinge in forward direction with about the same spacing of the two others.
I don't know if this is a good idea and if others have done the same.
Looking ahead in the plans seems that nothing will stand in the way when adding a third row, but I am not 100% sure.

2lu599y.jpg

Is it worth to add an additonal row or will I fit in nicely anyway with the two standard hinges.

Thank you for any experience sharing or pointing me to the right direction

I had the same problem, could not get full motion of the rudder pedals! I added an extra hinge part and was surprised it not only gave me proper rudder pedal movement, but was also a far more comfortable seating position! At some point you run into the stick in its rearward position will hit the seat. You can look back in my log to see how I did it.
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...TX&project=2429&category=0&log=200487&row=279

Last edited:
Than you

Thank you for your replies :D. Joe's invention is very much deluxe what I can see from here. But both responses confirmed me that I am going for another hinge row too. Probably just adding another one like Don did.

I did add one extra hinge during my build but I used a different method to finalize my seated position.

I am 5'9" and like to sit more upright. Ordered a thicker seat back cushion from Abby at Flightline Interiors while using the forward hinge position. I can't remember the total thickness now but will get that information if anyone needs it.

Plans built hinge position was too upright for me and anything forward of the second hinge was too tilted for me. I saw the mods to change the angle of the seat back as the hinge position was moved forward but the thicker cushion was a drop in solution.

I added a third hinge a couple years ago to allow a vertically challenged friend to fly my plane. Then had to come up with a way to tilt the seatback forward. Didn't help much. What REALLY solved the problem was the addition of clip-on pedal extensions.

Adjusstments

This design allows you to use a longer bolt and a spacer to move the peddles
forward

11_03_04.jpg

11_03_03.jpg

See more http://joesrv12.com/Builder Log/al_11_03.htm

The spacer will be L shaped to accommodate the three holes behind the
modified vans pedal

The spacer thickness will be determined when I finish the aircraft

I also have a design to change the angle of the seat back if needed

Joe Dallas

I added a third hinge a couple years ago to allow a vertically challenged friend to fly my plane. Then had to come up with a way to tilt the seatback forward. Didn't help much. What REALLY solved the problem was the addition of clip-on pedal extensions.

Last edited:
Back