What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview Wi-fi

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
I bought the Skyview Wi-fi chip from Dynon and wasn't really happy with its white exterior on my black panel. I put it in a heat shrink sleeve, but still wasn't happy with the form factor or look.

So I ordered these.

140m60x.jpg

They are a two-pack for $9.99 and they are black, and barely stick out from the front. Very much like the USB stick that Dynon recommends, but in this case, they do Wifi.

I confirmed today that they work fine. I am keeping my "official" Dynon Wi-fi (which is a different Edimax chip with a sticker over the label) in case I ever have issues, as I'm sure Dynon would not want to support a chip that they didn't test, and would suggest you do the same. And I don't feel guilty as I already paid the "Dynon tax".

No promises on if this will work in the future, but for me, it was a small price to pay for the test, and to get rid of the white chip sticking out.

Why did you not just stick it in the back of the EFIS where nobody can see it?

I have one in the back of the EFIS in my RV-10 and it works perfect, even in the back seats.

I have one in the back of the EFIS in my RV-10 and it works perfect, even in the back seats.

That's what we did on our three-screen Skyview system - leaves the panel plugs open for thumb drives.

I have 4 ports on the front panel since way before I put in the avionics. I assumed (incorrectly it seems) that the signal would not like to pass through the panel and avionics.

I guess now I have wifi, and the ability to swap other things in the future.

I agree, I have one in each Skyview in the back. It transfers the information from my iPad faster than I can blink.

Back