What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Propeller care: Planishing vs filing? Pireps?

flyboy1963

Well Known Member
I've filed the leading edge of my Sensenich FP a dozen times, following the recommend procedure for dressing nicks...filing, then removing scratches with emery cloth. ( also refinished the back after finding some odd deep pits...)

now I have a Hartzell C/S, and it has a few nicks. Some of the brain trust suggest planishing with a smooth steel rod.
Is this an approved procedure? better than filing? ( preserves the profile and blade life perhaps).
I don't see it in any of the current crop of manuals by the manufacturers.

Short answer - NO, not acceptable.

Planishing may be ok for a lightly sand eroded surface, but if there is a divot, then no, the depth of that divot still remains and rubbing it with a steel rod will simply "smear" the surface material over it. The stress concentration will remain.

My experience is with steel. High strength steel fatigue strength can be plotted against surface finish. Rougher is lower. I had an injector tip (25ksi pressure) that was failing due to fatigue, but the surface finish was within spec. We found that the surface finish was altered during heat treat, and that the finish of the post machined part was the controlling factor. The peaks of the asperities were burned off but valleys remained.

I have no data on aluminum, but this experience would say not following the book is very risky.

Back