What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Initial rudder pedal installation?

rmartingt

Well Known Member
Following the build manual, it calls for test-fitting and drilling the rudder pedal assemblies while the fuselage is still upside-down. Then, removing them and storing for later.

Is there any reason this can't be done later, just after it's right side up? I would think that fitting the pedals would be something best done when you can sit in the seat and check the distance. I don't want to be trying to guess where they should go and then just have to redo it later on...

I re-drilled mine when well past the QB stage. It's not difficult with an angle drill. The long holes in the block act as a guide. It's a good idea to clamp the block to the longeron for the first hole.

I would also suggest adding a set of hole 1" for and aft of your chosen location. It gets more difficult once everything is closed up and you may find that your initially selected location is not optimum once you start flying. That was the case for me.

Larry

Bob----thats how I did mine. Being short legged :eek: I knew I'd have to move them AFT, but didnt know how much. Thank goodness Raymo was building his, and once I sat in his with his Abby's seats, I figured I had it about right.

Tom

I'm curious why the instructions call for fitting the pedals at this stage...seems so much easier when canoe is right side up. I've got long legs, so pedals were mounted within 3/4" of being all the way back.

Drilling

It's much easier to lay out the holes and drill several sets then test fit them to get the weldments moving freely. The holes will allow you to position them later. I had mine in and out more times than I counted to get them swinging free. Plus when you get to brakes they go in and out more times. Much easier now. I set the first holes at the forward location then several holes aft to allow adjustment.
But, I'm not flying so what do I know.

Back