What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New 7? Portrait G3X Touch display and GMU 11 magnetometer from Garmin TeamX

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
GDU 470 Portrait 7” G3X Touch Display

We’re excited to announce the GDU 470 portrait G3X Touch display with the same great features as the 10.6” and 7” landscape G3X Touch displays, including advanced integration with Garmin G3X autopilot, transponders, radios, audio panels, and more. This frequently requested form factor now offers even more flexibility to design your ideal panel. Mix and match up to 4 G3X Touch displays in a single aircraft to suit your needs. The new display is expected to be available in Q2 of this year for $2,995 minimum advertised price (MAP) with an optional remote mount SXM module coming later this year.

X5570aeXBvBK0HxwXO-E96QFq5LIPw2L03lnbLbM3ahhaO94j-MbcjW8lkbjzWdg4oJpOuRwbFHAfI5Tzs-ksFc57vSAZEVj9M_N98Ft2rqRvi3o4kaN4wDAKtzxd_fHUmzSpuVPVyOc3cD-AgJgXWDayfNjb0yxZe2oawtisfj2sM2LU2sCIZKDPTSLHwHOihrtibIApqJQkCo7n_QI0QLwZyvV2F2Sb7qlhpYrow21c1aQGLDXOAiqQTyYRZWCvvJ3XsusDmF50hNL6UiV4YPBMmA85YRoKS6yIJeLzBw9zjPVBINRj759nBNHn0SUU2bUzLw0mzcXsUtcEpgAnIvy5a1rk-HKAWVuX8JCS600dDDjGA4IvpHzEju3USSU_dKyMUmyt-tE7VpgEceHlrajmWmFOrrtA9UVdfz9wC23ofvi5p4Mf8U_4_cISFhCIuhjUOi1-ULsxuRD0Ly7UDxrkwh3NJHUSdfIOTHKkW6vXs_GlQ6w1FfD3cSinxPQiPknsj31dM-CfndrNpRz8RYFVtCM3jBq9jw6c2WAubGUljqr6u_5jr46O90pKwREEcoYLurM98-LK8IUBKEdLgeDx5MTBSfgNSC4DlYmlZEhi73ln7u5sIyCpTaz2as38K_FOmtQ-pzD4ZTg4WlHvIt_EOp_uFTvbpLYGTS6-Q=w581-h382-no

In addition to offering more flexibility for new installations, the GDU 470 offers an easy upgrade path for first generation G3X customers. All displays in the G3X Touch family are fully pin compatible with the GDU 370 G3X displays and all of the installed remote mount and complimentary components can stay in the aircraft unchanged.

The GDU 470 outer dimensions are nearly identical to the GDU 370 dimensions. However, to help ease the transition from the GDU 370 to GDU 470 display, a steel drilling guide will also be available. Simply attach the drilling guide using the existing GDU 370 nutplate holes, drill new holes for the GDU 470 mounting screws and slightly enlarge the corners of the existing GDU 370 hole. Mount the GDU 470 and reuse the existing 50 pin d-sub connector. One of the less obvious benefits of upgrading to the new displays is you get 6 serial ports instead of the 3 on the GDU 37X series displays which gives you even more options to integrate complimentary hardware such as the GMC 307 autopilot controller. Please keep in mind that you cannot mix and match first generation G3X displays with G3X Touch displays.

GMU 11 Magnetometer

The new GMU 11 magnetometer is lighter weight and allows for more flexible installation than the previous generation magnetometer. It can be mounted in any of the four cardinal directions and is a CAN bus connected device capable of providing magnetic heading for original G3X, G3X Touch, and standalone G5 installations. Up to two GMU 11 magnetometers can be installed on the CAN bus for additional redundancy if desired. The GMU 11 will be sold for $275 MAP when purchased separately or as a supplemental magnetometer, but is also kitted with the core LRU kits (see next section for details). Additionally, the GMU 11 will be PMA’d and will enable our G5 electronic flight instrument to act as a DG/HSI replacement in 600+ models of certified aircraft. Read more about those updates in our press release here. Availability Q2 2017.

b4AkCVdbFKGBJ90QFJuJJz75IJQS5-eHtYIGul6O_aA8IDoQAoaxZkfgYmJnjyrZy63BaravDSgkghqepNeIQ_MANj8GRSrnh-69cZW6fW6mVsEu4JCNpffOkMwuJB3ZvF541H2B39ZSf2DNM6vqE71pCY9-5WbXALbtzwPxLSy3kAOmv0JwWgDsa1hCFdfzylshRN9CZILmXovY9gyYc9Mv6aclJamN_qXyS2aPhTqc8SbnffhDd5KI81AEkfU8HLJaFwvHakOGuTYbE1CTi47celNheL1U8seQhSXb6ruqZO2FON_EtQOCoEDPwemQpO7OzQrGT9Y9MLiWYNWfryA8um1n8BK25NqXVR4BCNlkLO8C-qMXA5Ez8Vy_bv2D_g43dhghuCrrcZV9qARENY1k8EqC4QYtC3iCvtgvCMWF5AAvvf070DgmiW5aluRVUUrxk23mNfPy0V0t4LIXYXaK8vJmsmJaiiDFokkRPgQI2fL8bjvA3u0Ulm7nQzBr3ZxT3oC1qAZcaC_xkGb-BETipyeBgFyWW7uVwRVWrONtCG-pbAEoGjHrzbbGf6_Uqfwh138Zm5wNFGqECTjfo6TSMS6cZ_sDWTS1g-t0zdWOCcga1clTZ-pjZ-zNw12ZVgKMQ4Yw82PNCkVkHfWiy6P7ZkgakHXdDOSnu82xQg=w341-h263-no

Simplified Pricing Structure

Finally, we are introducing a new more builder friendly pricing structure making it easier to buy components that match the stage of your build. Previously, displays were kitted with all the core system LRUs and we are excited to offer customers more flexibility with this a la carte approach.

The diagram below provides a quick overview of the new process. As an example, you can order your LRU kit and install the core remote mount pieces while you are working on the wings and fuselage. Then purchase your displays when you’re ready to build the panel. If you have a high-performance aircraft (exceeding 300 KIAS), be sure to purchase the high performance LRU kit.

CED4xL-TKAI7kXqLVA63oViYjr3dUaYT-dWDP_E3eHFuI-tFzCWtp0_nGq1bgspOMLADu9VqX6DEJ_X7EErsVHzzYJP5QGllfxnu2iIu4TQqBojJoowwnu07Lsny_GzbXzKJ0WbdqkJ9Mmn0QS1CYnz94PGiOmjjUvgo3jKtoJuhoTHQV2NQh1zqCiyp88-Yc2iOldCt_DiOzxmkcESsjs0iZUkUaujSvk8jWar7x3GpUSKMHIvBIzqwmi01In-oB1_wJZQqxR1Ftf4OJ_zUh_YwxENT4pozrHu7plN5ox2YQekdJbxyWIiwPWlhPWYJ7Ig7uOOXQJfVnZuujNPIInFvB4aie_j1-_qW-xVDl2g8XOrMYFHOuiVDSLvEOsc19W8oH2768uq8yovPkcmfsRcQOHvNicUku8wqe3_josgiOFSFBQge0_DCcfO0hiy5FyJJLZY6-mhyN1tdoOsA7XT-Tas8kJw0UjO-Gjl5vMIPtSO5jZGOJ0QXAHP-jVXC_65ltcyzmi6nwcLxXeGibGFTv8mbwSJV835gWjEzgTWKV3JuJJZYRlLMioXxdeUWkC1e6M4dg2q7Gh9PqUA5CMn3Mfm478LkidOB6iBSnonkzYyzSgldtXgc52EDwrctObNbFYITBx9pW6p6MZamdrb_LZJ30E1Vrj21sxTjvw=w786-h438-no

As usual, if you have any questions, feel free to contact us directly using the information in the signature line below. Or come see the new display at SNF! We’d love to talk to you in person.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:
Awesome

I wanted to install one of these last year but wanted magnetic heading.....yes, Garmin does it again.

I've been pushing for an upgrade path to 'touch' for the GDU370 for years as this form factor works really well in many of our RV's.

Local area folks will be able to see a pair of these in action in my own RV7 just as soon as I can get my hands on a pair!

Thanks for listening Garmin :D

PS: For bargain hunters, I suspect you will soon see a few GDU370's hit the classified section.

Last edited:
G3X touch display

Hello Garmin,
Could you post a picture of the back of the display? Thanks!

Any thought to making it in a "left" and "right" version so you could put two side by side and have the controls on the "outside" of the display area? Or could one be mounted upside down?

I have not wanted to change my portrait GDU370 panel as I really like the form of the portrait better than the newer touch. The big advantage of the touch for me is the processing speed. I see a possible upgrade in the future.

Hello Garmin,
Could you post a picture of the back of the display? Thanks!

Hi Jon,

Great question. Back and side view drawings with dimensions below. The full installation manual update is expected to post in the very near future and before we start shipping. These displays include the built in WAAS VFR GPS receiver, composite video input, cooling fan, wireless connectivity, etc. standard just like the 10.6" and 7" landscape displays.

jHaJuuRdCucbTusb1S_4M5IOE81gTOhe6DNQUx6k0bK0Fq0mOciB0fzRwqFqzeiRuy03txJSklzUeKFJmLk3kya5fXzuU8WI3kfgKbunzm-8X_jMtTB6BDzEtt39nL_eVFef6HwQF2jZO8HAaB8-azXezsrJOSQ6gV9rbY6IDyDh-F0qWfxk0JnKAUwz0rYef1FiM8WpSwxolYz4uuVz3G_6XjGJ2xTaAjswF6QFL9qLfkPbnNHtv9hdKtS3hNdzAXjtW6ivHQ5XY0889kJ9FDbJvbma83o064q6y-0Ra_WvlEffckLnA1HjyGvCcZSqXb4Ci5YfTeAH6LgjDJAkRs1JNq-0sw4-vVoO7QsK5UWBmAeEmi8hYpJJ0eqBZjTcYr0Yu4H3zRlI4U4qNcV5I7ZGO9rShTVoHz-N49YecI8bQ6-00PoC1igIZgw7lonG17T_rngy2FN-3oAAgSYv6RiV1ntA8Yl2qp9TLI0nrkz-rInlEDC8LYkNitS91x2NGRB0bkEGEKUI74kfbOduq6TBO-xzn2eU5_schD4LwRdI2vPOWP4S49zZz8292opaWfwD4z9mKdbqwn3OtyO85xcKP87Z8Rx_wyzz7RMm0Q13-l24iEC5my7b2knTrbRs0t91bf-ISQYPKz7TYgBbU8C_TphgSNGvNXURi0ruPQ=w559-h521-no

dN7AxQgpvR6CuLxzJ3IKr-zrH-mJEAoLZve-IbpzJWYsOOOQ9EUiS6dRey7GqUNbxpLiHjRAty6c6C_UTrhLE4aLxft8JD_Exn8zdsRqbNaGnJeNgO-8PDmTQ-jFJTP8KdF1scwInqkhCsT5GvdoUU4LEGFc3SzpM_QjWLXP1mq9Rweev1GJB_o3HEGmd3nqGf-P54R4q1hzLIqjUq3eVpbVKsUpQGcePCRPXM2amquVdu-vFqdVw4Yxow3xRWjgu9MPrSighGKgCkskzWTwouAxliV5mxE6WXfjA7S80bMmwh6kQlqRogt0Dd4hsfpkEdCsazpXxIxnp3c1qU5J5U2G4VcMLYJA9EHkEilsx4Y6SOjXFUxTxZy5ekNCbAV0YE6fNAflw1pOfnhlMOUViSlLkvII_KMo_xUHe1QQZnWv26Nf3IQrn5w2Yt_K89CZDvqsGZRcby3dFRVGg3aHyh1Tmz8g5mk6Vgibj_gySgq7usF3_HL0NR7tHEKcad9zmDznNTJ5GzSKyeGP-M9pMTOaZjIfN76RqiXNEiipC2QW_VpHIZBtFhst4x6eySGfcndoYulwgNt0iF04h_ejE4WiccYETkkW4ssWTTktwdOJOEWfLFYRciY8zW0krcSdts4zJ1URkdI44dJpGayf1ei2b4w3ZSPlyukK1yB7cg=w376-h658-no

wLNaVB6GQ_wsy9MuQWBMMiNAblbRWImucTYQbSB9NiyPKKzzZXcy4H7v2IJSMSIrOviUiMrmIPJaCYjGskZocjXrDn2GjBm-RvK4gj27uW20Gn7W10rMiVNqMW15oQS6ZpEmLmqAL5nrmhJ4KJbhJmqRK3ouXrjpRVzbinx_ACvXFkTltfyN12TYAjIpZD4gadLy9xc-98XyKHb-yA6IuB1o8-NISG0QeoT_i_WOnB2qGDauEOp3y8u0qgX-sAeWBySF15PJFFRJS7pQsNaejlSCvOv9Sth8zhkbXxfG8o_s7iIbMKTvIYdNImiHjE8mQlkW_CcKk8SoTAxxmCJAgCCmGYCv86CXwHyTrXE1mOarJuh_mzQXdEUZ6ZpEou0j46rojaArovQ2OuGdnONeq0gfjjylMoMy5uf1sZ-Gw40ay5Kfk1tPKUgHJWZhFXaWEHxSY2HIglQOwjkXRfb10KR_14KuBd1_C-fbCeirhMwJWleOSjXnJFnRncmIcTFfI3PUE6vN5CeyIZFq_i918FV1KId7Z1hNDyqINxIHzkds-veqa37ZITqYcUVoAqn9RAClAbfS7ou_7JOPvzNrscXSQ-mIDhPIsgS0eGeLRQbzgoQHzR7rkTSUZJR36kgS4Wtep6cnHQEqQGkyHsnrwW6k35g8nSw6ijGAUVUJZw=w721-h373-no

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:
Any thought to making it in a "left" and "right" version so you could put two side by side and have the controls on the "outside" of the display area? Or could one be mounted upside down?

Good morning Rob,

There is no plan for a left and right version for a number of reasons. One of them would be consistent user interface. Keeping in mind these displays are fully reversionary, if you have two GDU 470s and one goes away, keeping all the buttons and knobs in the same place is a good thing.

Thanks,
Brian

Does the GMU-11 have serial interface in addition the CAN bus.

With a GMU-22 on the aft deck (RV-7), where would the recommended position be for GMU-11 be ? (wingtip seems like a good location).

Does the GMU-11 have serial interface in addition the CAN bus.

With a GMU-22 on the aft deck (RV-7), where would the recommended position be for GMU-11 be ? (wingtip seems like a good location).

Hi nilberg,

The GMU 11 is a CAN bus connected device and does not have any serial connection. Power/ground and connect to the CAN bus if installing with G3X, G3X Touch or G5 based installation.

I'll refer you to the installation manual regarding detailed mounting guidance of the GMU 11 since we can't make any assumptions about what potential sources of interference may be in your aircraft. However, generally speaking, any location that has proven acceptable for the GMU 22 will also work for the GMU 11. The full updates to the installation manual will be available in the near future and we will post a link on VAF when it goes live.

Thanks,
Brian

Golly. Despite Garmin being a large global enterprise with aviation being a low percentage of their business, they haven't forgotten us, or their own history. Just about the time I start thinking avionics manufacturers could do better listening to their customers Garmin once again demonstrates they are. Brilliant grass-roots support through Team X. No wonder G3X aircraft consistently bring a premium on the used EAB/LSA aircraft marketplace.

Jim

Thank you for the GMU 11!

Any comments about CPU or GPU performance on the GDU 470 vs 460? If you installed both units side by side, would you notice a difference panning, zooming, or switching to charts?

G3Xperts,

What is the pixel count for the new GDU 470 offering?

Reference:

GDU 450/455 480 x 800 pixels

GDU 460/465 1280 x 768 pixels

Thanks,

Thank you for the GMU 11!

Any comments about CPU or GPU performance on the GDU 470 vs 460? If you installed both units side by side, would you notice a difference panning, zooming, or switching to charts?

Same processing power in all of the G3X Touch display models. So no perceivable difference in processing power. All three are super fast!

Thanks,
Brian

Exactly the solution I have been looking for to bring the G3X in our RV-3 up to the same level as the G3X Touch system we have in the RV-6. Can't wait to play with them!

Paul

Dear Brian

Can we use GDU370 and GDU 470 together?

Good morning,

We do not mix non-touch G3X displays (GDU 37X series) with the newer G3X Touch displays on the CAN bus. If you kept a GDU 37X series display in the panel, we would recommend installing as a standalone product. It could, for example, be kept as a standalone MFD. But we would not integrate them into a G3X Touch system.

Thanks,
Brian

Garmin Team X

Nice that you keep developing the G3X system. Sure wish you would remember us long-time Garmin proponents and come out with an ADSB solution for us G-900X users.... And when I see all of these capabilities added to the G3X, I have to wonder why you don't do an equal job of advancing the capabilities of the benchmark G-1000/900X. ;-(

~Marc

Nice that you keep developing the G3X system. Sure wish you would remember us long-time Garmin proponents and come out with an ADSB solution for us G-900X users.... And when I see all of these capabilities added to the G3X, I have to wonder why you don't do an equal job of advancing the capabilities of the benchmark G-1000/900X. ;-(

~Marc

Hi Marc,

Please reach out to your G900X dealer or send a note to the email contact below. We have multiple ADS-B solutions as of the latest software upgrade that support solutions to get you both ADS-B compliant, ADS-B In on your G900X displays and sent wireless to portable devices!

Thanks,
Brian

So I'm about to order my extensive G3X avionics system, and have already ordered and in process of installing a mount for the GMU 22 in my RV-10. Should I continue with the currently planned GMU 22, or switch to the GMU 11? Is there a price difference between them?

Thanks

So I'm about to order my extensive G3X avionics system, and have already ordered and in process of installing a mount for the GMU 22 in my RV-10. Should I continue with the currently planned GMU 22, or switch to the GMU 11? Is there a price difference between them?

Thanks

Dave,

There are a number of ways we can handle this depending on what equipment you have already ordered/installed/wired, your timing for the install, etc. But for anyone already down the road on an installation, there is nothing wrong with staying the course with the GMU 22. Its a great unit. If you want to send us your information via [email protected] we can help you more specifically.

Thanks,
Brian

LRU Installation and future updates

So I am moving out on my wings and and plan a Garmin G3x system.
If I buy the LRU package to install the magnometer in the wings, what is the chance the LRU sensors will be incompatable with the new G3x version in the future? I guess I am asking if the GMU 11 and the GSU 22 will need to be updated if I dont get flying in two years.

So I am moving out on my wings and and plan a Garmin G3x system.
If I buy the LRU package to install the magnometer in the wings, what is the chance the LRU sensors will be incompatable with the new G3x version in the future? I guess I am asking if the GMU 11 and the GSU 22 will need to be updated if I dont get flying in two years.

Great question. The team has worked very hard to keep the remote mount components of the G3X/G3X Touch systems compatible throughout development and our plan is to continue keeping that great compatibility. Even the very first G3X customers that purchased LRUs and displays when the system first came out in 2009 can replace their GDU 37X series displays and all the G3X Touch displays are compatible with their first generation remote mount components.

Nothing in life is a 100% guarantee, but if you finish your aircraft in the next few years, I would say 'slim to none' chance of compatibility issues. Supporting this type of approach was part of the motivation to move to the new price structure.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
Brian

If I'm reading this correctly, the new "builder friendly" pricing is actually a $500 price increase...

Old pricing: GDU460 w/temp probe, adahrs, mag = $5499

New pricing: GDU460 = $4495
Temp probe, adahrs, mag = $1500
Total= $5995

Is this correct?

g3xpert,

How will this affect your GTN-625 offer?

Thanks,

Jay

We will still offer the GTN 625 with purchase of a G3X/G3X Touch system. The promo was extended to the end of 2017. We will likely need to tie this with your LRU kit purchase. So please consider that as you make plans and let your dealer know you are interested in the GTN 625.

Thanks,
Brian

If I'm reading this correctly, the new "builder friendly" pricing is actually a $500 price increase...

New pricing: GDU460 = $4495
Total= $5995

Is this correct?

We actually had a typo on the GDU 460 price. The display prices have all be adjusted to get the total component cost as close as possible to the previous pricing. In this particular case, the price actually went down by ~$100:

New pricing: GDU460 = $3895
Total= $5395

Apologies for the confusion. Here is the corrected image as well for reference.

CED4xL-TKAI7kXqLVA63oViYjr3dUaYT-dWDP_E3eHFuI-tFzCWtp0_nGq1bgspOMLADu9VqX6DEJ_X7EErsVHzzYJP5QGllfxnu2iIu4TQqBojJoowwnu07Lsny_GzbXzKJ0WbdqkJ9Mmn0QS1CYnz94PGiOmjjUvgo3jKtoJuhoTHQV2NQh1zqCiyp88-Yc2iOldCt_DiOzxmkcESsjs0iZUkUaujSvk8jWar7x3GpUSKMHIvBIzqwmi01In-oB1_wJZQqxR1Ftf4OJ_zUh_YwxENT4pozrHu7plN5ox2YQekdJbxyWIiwPWlhPWYJ7Ig7uOOXQJfVnZuujNPIInFvB4aie_j1-_qW-xVDl2g8XOrMYFHOuiVDSLvEOsc19W8oH2768uq8yovPkcmfsRcQOHvNicUku8wqe3_josgiOFSFBQge0_DCcfO0hiy5FyJJLZY6-mhyN1tdoOsA7XT-Tas8kJw0UjO-Gjl5vMIPtSO5jZGOJ0QXAHP-jVXC_65ltcyzmi6nwcLxXeGibGFTv8mbwSJV835gWjEzgTWKV3JuJJZYRlLMioXxdeUWkC1e6M4dg2q7Gh9PqUA5CMn3Mfm478LkidOB6iBSnonkzYyzSgldtXgc52EDwrctObNbFYITBx9pW6p6MZamdrb_LZJ30E1Vrj21sxTjvw=w1169-h651-no

Thanks,
Brian

Very good news, as usual Garmin!

Two questions:

- What are the dimensions of the GMU 11?

- Is it suitable to install the GMU 11 into a carbon fiber wingtip?

Thanks,

NEW GARMIN GDU 460

Now if only Dynon will do the same with the Skyview SV-700 so that I can install two side x side in my RV-4..

IF not....

'' For bargain hunters, I suspect you will soon see a few GDU370's hit the classified section.''

WALT: What will be require on top of the displays to have a full Garmin system and roughly at what price ''excluding the displays',??:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Very good news, as usual Garmin!

Two questions:

- What are the dimensions of the GMU 11?

- Is it suitable to install the GMU 11 into a carbon fiber wingtip?

Thanks,

GMU 11 dimensions/weight:

2.74" W x 0.93" H x 3.49" D, 0.16 lbs

The wingtip may be an excellent place to install the GMU 11 as long as you are away from potential interference sources as spec'd in the installation manual. If you can't meet the spec, we will tell you to run an interference test to assure proper system performance.

Thanks,
Brian

Now it only Dynon will do the same with the Skyview SV-700 so that I can install two side x side in my RV-4..

IF not....

'' For bargain hunters, I suspect you will soon see a few GDU370's hit the classified section.''

WALT: What will be require on top of the displays to have a full Garmin system and roughly at what price ''excluding the displays',??:rolleyes:

Hey Thanks! Been wondering all day when there would be some silly Dynon question in a Garmin thread!!

The basic LRU kit for $1500 and and the screens is all that is required to get a basic system up an running. Add the other options like AP, Xpdr, engine instruments, etc. when/if funds allow.

Last edited:
VFR Sectionals

Is my hope and assumption correct........ that these new screens will now support VFR sectionals as a display option?

Thank you

Last edited:
G3X

Walt: Thank you for the info..

Jon'' ''some silly Dynon question''...Hey, if you don't like it, don't read it..:rolleyes:

Bruno

Is my hope and assumption correct........ that these new screens will now support VFR sectionals as a display option?

Thank you

Hello Bob,

Yes, all of the G3X Touch displays, including the new GDU 470, will display VFR sectionals.

Thanks,
Steve

G5 question

G3Expert
With the new GMU11 interfaced to the G5, which will close the loop on the calc will the G5 display wind direction and strength

Rob

Hi Brian,

A few questions ...

Currently building a RV14, just about to start my panel. I like the thought of perhaps going with a triple screen 470 setup instead a dual 10" 460 system.

-Are the connectors interchangable? I've already got the interconnect diagram from Stein. (thinking pin callouts)
- Can the AHDRS be mounted on the back of the 470 like the 460?
- Is a GPS antenna included? (for VFR GPS built in receiver)
- Is the screen resolution the same between the 460 & 470?

Thanks Jim

Hi Brian,

A few questions ...

Currently building a RV14, just about to start my panel. I like the thought of perhaps going with a triple screen 470 setup instead a dual 10" 460 system.

-Are the connectors interchangable? I've already got the interconnect diagram from Stein. (thinking pin callouts)
- Can the AHDRS be mounted on the back of the 470 like the 460?
- Is a GPS antenna included? (for VFR GPS built in receiver)
- Is the screen resolution the same between the 460 & 470?

Thanks Jim

Jim,

Feedback on the above:

1. Yes, the connectors for the displays are interchangeable.
  2. Yes, there are provisions on the back of the display to mount the GSU 25. Just remember that whether mounted to the display or remotely, it must be rigid to aircraft structure to perform properly.
  3. All displays include a VFR WAAS GPS receiver, the antenna is sold separately, various options for internal/external mounting. Full details in the install manual.
  4. Same pixel count as the 7" landscape display, 480 x 800.

Thanks,
Brian

Where is the engine strip?

Do you have a screen grab of what the 7 inch display looks like in a single screen system with engine monitoring? I have read the manuals cover to cover and searched the web but only seen example screens of the PFD with no engine strip. Engine strip seems to always show on the GDU 460 but not on the 450 or the 470 example shown above.

Do you have a screen grab of what the 7 inch display looks like in a single screen system with engine monitoring? I have read the manuals cover to cover and searched the web but only seen example screens of the PFD with no engine strip. Engine strip seems to always show on the GDU 460 but not on the 450 or the 470 example shown above.

Does this show what you are looking for? It is just a G3X not a G3X touch.

G3X1.jpg

Thanks Gary, I have seen that screen for the GDU 370, but never seen anything similar for the GDU 450 7" landscape screen, it's not covered in the manual. makes me wonder if it is possible. Also curious to see it on the new GDU 470, seems the touch screen functions take up a bit of screen real estate across the top so it may be a little too crowded.

GMU-11 redundancy for failed GMU-22

Brian, G3expert folks -

I've already made provisions for a GMU-22 in my RV-7. With a G3X Touch/G5 combination, it's the only non-redundant component in my primary flight display avionics. It's probably overkill to add a redundant magnetometer and I won't do it in the near future, but will that entire combination work with both the -11 and -22 on the bus?

With the GMU-11 being small and relatively inexpensive, it might be worth considering for someone who really needs that capability backed up.

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited:
Brian, G3expert folks -

I've already made provisions for a GMU-22 in my RV-7. With a G3X Touch/G5 combination, it's the only non-redundant component in my primary flight display avionics. It's probably overkill to add a redundant magnetometer and I won't do it in the near future, but will that entire combination work with both the -11 and -22 on the bus?

With the GMU-11 being small and relatively inexpensive, it might be worth considering for someone who really needs that capability backed up.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

You bet. You can install the GMU 22 now, then add a GMU 11 to the CAN bus later on if you want.

Thanks,
Brian

GARMIN WROTE : Yes, there are provisions on the back of the display to mount the GSU 25. Just remember that whether mounted to the display or remotely, it must be rigid to aircraft structure to perform properly.

Do you have a picture of this?

I have little room in my -8 and would benefit from mounting it that way. I assume "rigid" mounting would work since my GDU375 is mounted to the cockpit panel and it seems very rigid.

Might be a good upgrade to do both for me.

GARMIN WROTE : Yes, there are provisions on the back of the display to mount the GSU 25. Just remember that whether mounted to the display or remotely, it must be rigid to aircraft structure to perform properly.

Do you have a picture of this?

I have little room in my -8 and would benefit from mounting it that way. I assume "rigid" mounting would work since my GDU375 is mounted to the cockpit panel and it seems very rigid.

Might be a good upgrade to do both for me.

Hi Jack,

The Rev AB G3X installation manual is now available on our website here. You'll find more details on mounting the GSU and detailed drawings that show where the GSU optionally mounts on the back of the G3X Touch displays. Since the GSU drives your attitude display and is integral to autopilot performance if you have one installed, we always provide a word of caution since every installation may be different.

Thanks,
Brian

G3X GDU 470

Garmin G3Xpert-

Can we see more screen shots of the GDU 470? I am particularly interested in how the split screen pfd / mfd can be arranged.

I really liked how the GDU 370 split the screen 1/2 pfd and 1/2 map as one of the configurations.

I am looking to install into a Nanchang CJ6 ( M14P) so will not be using the EIS with the 9 cylinder engine.

I really appreciate Garmin providing a number of choices with the G3X system.

Thanks, Doug Zeissner

Back