What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's Aileron Trim

bob888

Well Known Member
I have the standard Van's aileron trim setup with the bias springs and it is working well. However, when I move the controls in the quiet of the hangar I can hear a rubbing/scraping that is probably the spring(s) scraping against the pushrod out in the wing. Have others noticed this? Is it OK? If not, is there a fix?

I too have the Vans aileron trim in my right wing but it does not make noise. It might be that your torque tube is rotated too far and when you move the ailerons you're getting some rubbing with the springs. There will always be some rotational movement with the tube due to the rod ends. You might have to straighten it out a little.

Yeah, mine was rubbing. I finally noticed that one of the spring hooks was facing into the push rod at the servo and making contact with the tube. I turned it around and that fixed that issue, but I'm pretty certain I'm still touching out at where the spring connects to the push rod. At this location there isn't much movement between the spring and tube except for the stretching of the spring, so it isn't very noticeable.
I have a new access cover on order from Van's. I'm going to see if it will be possible to slightly move my servo aft. Maybe .063" will make a difference for me...

Back