What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN650 + GTX330ES... Is ARINC required?

Toobuilder

Well Known Member
Just removed the 327 and installed the 330 to satisfy the ADS-B out requirement. Like the 327, I have serial IN (from the Dynon 180) to the 330 for altitude, as well as another channel IN/OUT between the 650 and 330. This all seems to function properly.

Reading the 330 and 650 manuals gives conflicting information regarding ARINC comms, however. On the one hand, the manual says the serial ports are all that's needed for the two Garmin products, yet there are references to ARINC configurations as well as block diagrams showing the 650-330 interconnects.

Long story short, I have tied the 330 channel 1 to the 650 channel 2 (in/out) as an exclusive comm line, but they don't talk. Further, the configuration options listed in the manuals do not match what my boxes are making available to me. I'm stumped.

If it helps, the 330 has not been upgraded to the ES config yet, and is at SW v 6.20 and the 650 is SW v 6.11.

Any help is appreciated.

GTX 330ES Configuration

Michael,

There is not an ARINC 429 connection required to interface the GTX 330ES with the GTN 650. A single serial data path will accomplish 3 things:

• Provide a compliant GPS position fix for ADS-B Out transmissions.
• Allow for remote control of the GTX 330ES through the GTN 650 display.
• Transmit TIS-A traffic data to the GTN 650.

The serial port configuration settings on the GTX 330ES are REMOTE + TIS for the output and REMOTE for the input.

The serial port on the GTN will be programmed to either GTX w/TIS+ #1 or Panel GTX w/TIS+ #1. Use the latter if you want to disable the ability to program the transponder through the GTN display. This does use up a bit of real estate on the GTN screen, but the ability is there if it is something you are interested in.

The transponder software will need to be updated to version 8.04 as there is a software incompatibility with your current version.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks
Justin

Last edited:
Thanks Justin. I guess I should have asked this question yesterday. I'll turn the ARINC ports off and press on.

I'm going to send the 330 back home to get the ES upgrade so the airplane won't fly with this configuration, but curious about the software version incompatibility. Right now I can configure and control the 330 from the 650 screen, so how does the incompatability manifest? It seems happy.

Many thanks

2020 Compliance

Michael,

Remote control of the GTX 330 was possible with the earlier software versions. Software 7.01 or higher is required for 2020 ADS-B 'Version 2.0' Compliance. The software update will be included when you send the transponder in to us for the Extended Squitter modification.

Thanks

Justin

Thanks Justin.

One more related question- is the 330ES also free from the ARINC requirement when using a 530W (instead of the 650)? If so, that makes another future installation simpler.

Thanks Justin.

One more related question- is the 330ES also free from the ARINC requirement when using a 530W (instead of the 650)? If so, that makes another future installation simpler.

The ARINC box is only needed to feed GPS data from the 650/530W to something like a G5, G3X, autopilot, etc.

GNS 530W Configuration

Thanks Justin.

In the case of a GNS 530W, TIS-A traffic is transmitted from the GTX 330 to the 530W via ARINC 429.

GPS Position data will be sent from the GNS unit to the transponder via RS232.

Thanks,

Justin

Back