What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery position

RyanB

Hi Everyone

I know this has been discussed in length, but I am specifically trying to find the best position for my setup. I have an O360 with a Hartzell CS prop on my RV4. May I ask those with the same setup as to where your battery is mounted?

We really hoping not to mount the battery on the baggage as this seems like a lot of effort:D

Thank you

Hi Everyone

I know this has been discussed in length, but I am specifically trying to find the best position for my setup. I have an O360 with a Hartzell CS prop on my RV4. May I ask those with the same setup as to where your battery is mounted?

We really hoping not to mount the battery on the baggage as this seems like a lot of effort:D

Thank you

it really varies with your build. I have O-360 with a hartzell C/S. I have the AGM battery installed in the standard position. the W&B came out at 995 lbs and the CG came out that it takes 212lbs in the pilot seat to put the CG on the forward limit. its a trade off, the forward CG degrades the handling a bit, but on the other hand, it allows me to carry a bigger person in the rear seat without going to the aft limit.
if i was only worried about handling solo i would move the battery farther rear. but since I really do not do much aerobatics, just a few rolls and spins every now and then, I prefer to have the ability to carry a bit more weight in the rear seat.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

it really varies with your build. I have O-360 with a hartzell C/S. I have the AGM battery installed in the standard position. the W&B came out at 995 lbs and the CG came out that it takes 212lbs in the pilot seat to put the CG on the forward limit. its a trade off, the forward CG degrades the handling a bit, but on the other hand, it allows me to carry a bigger person in the rear seat without going to the aft limit.
if i was only worried about handling solo i would move the battery farther rear. but since I really do not do much aerobatics, just a few rolls and spins every now and then, I prefer to have the ability to carry a bit more weight in the rear seat.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Bob,
I have a 983 pound plane with an IO-320 with Hartzel CS prop.
My battery is in the luggage compartment. It flies great, but with a >200 lb passenger, the tail drops on landing at very slow speed always causing a 3-point landing. It works for me. Plus no room up front forward of the firewall.
Daddyman

I have a IO360 with CS prop as well. My plane came in at 997 lbs. I have a lithium battery mounted adjacent to the forward stick. I have no problems with the battery in that location. I am planning on replacing the Hartzell with a Whirlwind prop. With the reduced weight (about 18 lbs.) on the nose I'm actually considering moving the battery to the engine side of the firewall.

Ted

Back