VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-01-2019, 08:48 PM

See if you can track down a (Mark) Landoll Harmonic Balancer which bolts to the flywheel. Adds considerable weight up front, smooths out engine vibrations, and gives the lightweight prop a little much neded inertia.
Worked great on my -6, I got about a 50 rpm static increase. Out of production as far as I know, but somebody might have one kicking around.
RV6 #20477 completed 1991 sold.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 200+ hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600 QUICK Panel.
KOXC Oxford, CT
1941 J3 Cub skis,floats.
2019 dues gladly paid.

Last edited by Jpm757 : 01-01-2019 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 01-04-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Designs View Post
G’day Peter, you can add weight up front or you can remove weight from the back.

A quick and relatively easy way to remove one pound from the back of your bird is to replace your steel tailwheel spring with a Sky Designs titanium tailwheel spring. Go to: https://www.skydesigns.aero/titanium-tailspring

BTW: You’ll want to keep your old steel tailspring as it can be used for self-defense in case of a zombie apocalypse. 😉
Thanks for the advice, that tailspring price is a bit "eye watering" though. It would cost me about Au$1000 to save 1lb.
I will bare that in mind for Zombie protection but I would have thought that I need to have a chainsaw attached somehow.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:47 PM

Thank you. I will try & provide more details.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpm757 View Post
See if you can track down a (Mark) Landoll Harmonic Balancer which bolts to the flywheel. Adds considerable weight up front, smooths out engine vibrations, and gives the lightweight prop a little much neded inertia.
Worked great on my -6, I got about a 50 rpm static increase. Out of production as far as I know, but somebody might have one kicking around.
If all you need is the weight, there was a 'steel ring' that he sold, as well. No 'balancing'; just what the name says: a steel ring that bolts to the ring gear.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:06 PM

Default Tail heavy

I would love to have a titanium tailspring as well. $$ is the issue for me as well.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:25 AM

After I built my -4 I had a aft C/G issue, what I changed was to move the battery to the upper firewall on top of the shelf, I installed a old heavy starter, Installed a 17lbs steel ring on the starter ring and last but not least I started to manufacturer lightweight tail wheels. All of this effort gave me a empty weight of 955# and the C/G was at 70.1". If your -4 is heavy check the wiring for unnecessary service loops, Heavy old avionic, Vacuum systems, Heavy upholstery and such.
VAF#408 RV4 N359DM Flying 1016 hrs 5/15/19
Builder Log
Old 01-05-2019, 12:39 PM

Default Decrease versus Increase

Yes, the titanium tailspring is a bit expen$ive but, consider the following:

1. The raw material cost alone is north of $200 – if a less expensive source for the correct alloy and heat-treat titanium bar could be found, that would allow us to lower the price.

2. Titanium is more challenging to machine than steel - I don't really know this firsthand but when I designed titanium parts for military airplanes, that was what folks always said.

3. Compared to other things that people buy for their airplanes, the tailspring is pretty cheap and, heck, the other stuff you buy adds weight whereas this (and Dayton's way-cool tailwheel) actually reduce weight.

4. Regarding zombie attacks, the ultimate defense tool may indeed be a chain saw but a re-purposed steel tailspring has the advantage of being easier to carry plus it won't run out of gas at the wrong moment.

BTW: I asked my lovely and charming webmaster about the "copyright 2023" thing and she said that the website builder she uses adds it automatically.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:49 PM

I came in at 995 with a O360 and constant speed hartzel. I have 37 lbs on the tail in level flight attitude. It is out forward empty and needs 212 lbs in the pilot seat to get in the envelope. That low ain't NEVER going to happen as long as I own it.

Bob burns
N82rb rv-4
Old 01-05-2019, 10:12 PM

I just want to thank everyone for their help & advice on my aft heavy issues. I have removed pretty much everything from the rear and have a light weight tail wheel, with the final weight coming in at 999 lbs.
I do have a question though, when people quote a weight, is that generally to be taken as fully equipped with rear seat, seat back, controls etc. Or is it quoted with that gear stripped out. Because I just can't see where all my extra weight is coming from.

Last edited by Peter Grylls : 01-07-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:34 PM

IIRC, it should be ready to fly, but 'empty'. No fuel, or at least no useable fuel, which is effectively the same thing in an RV.