What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a pic of your FINISHED RV-9/9A!!!

Here's a shot of "Harvey"
7 weeks full time to paint. 4 days alone to put on the making tape.
Striping is duplicated on bottom.
Contrary to how it looks, that is a 3 blade MT prop driven by a IO-360 180hp Superior Lycoming.
Finished April 2008. Flew 47 hours, then painted it.
76 hours to date flying.

By USCANAM

By USCANAM

Last edited:
Great! Looks like Russian Far East from the air

Steve do you have a picture of your panel? I also use Vans precut for super simple day VFR instrumentation. I am trying to position my steam gages in more logical order. Could you post your panel here on VAF or kindly email me [email protected]

panel

Vlad,

http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img2434uq6.jpg

Since this pic was taken last summer, I replaced the panel mount compass with a Sirs mounted on the windshield brace. I moved the voltmeter to that hole. Then I added a manifold pressure gage to that spot above the throttle knob and left of the Garmin comm radio.
Bad move.
The MP gage picked up an RF signal and pegged out when I keyed the mic. After maybe 5 hours, it quit working altogether. Something to fix in the spring.
Recommendation: put the Hobb meter/oil pressure dummy light in the upper right hole, put the MP gage in the old Hobbs hole. Leave the voltmeter above the throttle knob.

Steve

BRAZILIAN RV9-A PU-VTM

I finished my RV9-A in last December, after 14 months of building. I aways wanted to build an airplane and since my first trip to Sun'n Fun, where I saw the RV line of aircrafts, I decided that I would build one of those. The year was 2000 and I take a ride in the blue factory demonstrator RV6A. But due to a divorce, a new marriage, a small kid, and a new business, I only ordered my kit in 2007. This is my first project. It runs a superior XPIO-320 and a wood propeller (from a domestic company). The panel is simple, with steam gauges, a radio, transponder and a Garmin 296. The first flight was on december, 15, 2008 and the plane performed very well. Now I've logged 20 hr on hobbs. So far so good! My next goal is to take my little bird to Sun'n Fun next year-2010. Thanks to everybody who answered the few questions I've posted in this forum. If any of you come to Brazil, don't hesitate to contact me!
rv9apuvtmvistalateral.th.jpg

Brasil is on my list to visit with my RV

My next goal is to take my little bird to Sun'n Fun next year-2010. Thanks to everybody who answered the few questions I've posted in this forum. If any of you come to Brazil, don't hesitate to contact me!

probably we can do some formation then.

Nice bird Andre

Bon dia Andre:

So Jose Manuel Garcia de Espanha, estou construindo um RV-8. En Junho vou a morar la no Rio, onde mora vo?e? Na foto parece o galp?o do Ceu no RJ.

Levarei o meu RV para la.

Saludos

Jose Manuel,
I live in Fortaleza-Ceara. It's Northeast from Brazil. If you need any kind of help here, just let me know.

Andre Nunes

First Flight. I love the smell of jet fuel in the morning.

After only 73 months in the making G-CETP, an RV-9A with a Wilksch WAM-120 diesel engine finally took to the skies from Wadswick International Airport and Farm Shop (near Bath UK). At the controls was our very own Top-Gun graduate Kerry Ashcroft who managed to spot the Missing bolt during his pre-flight inspection.

"She climbs like a homesick Taxi...."

DSC02208.jpg

Before

FirstFlight004.jpg

After

FirstFlight006.jpg

The Proud Parents

Well Done Dave! Nice to see some diesels get airborne.

Please post performance numbers, fuel burn, speed, climb ect.

Larry

Our flight time is now 1.5 hours. We're a little way off a definitive set of numbers yet, but when we have them we won't be keeping them a secret.

We're the 6th RV-9/9a flying with the WAM-120 engine (5 in the UK, one in the US). Initial impressions are good, 1100 ft/min climb rate, somewhere around 115-120 kt cruise. The others are getting a fuel burn just under 16 litres / 4 US Gallons per hr. Our empty weight is 1043lbs with a Flightline Interiors trim kit.

The videos are now on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ8bQz8GWz8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjIc1ohkiqI

Dave

Last edited:
We have some better numbers now.
We have a total of 9 hours.
TAS at 5900 ft at a "steady cruise power" (55% power) is 126 knots.
Climb rate is about 950 ft / minute at full power.
Average fuel burn so far is around 15 litres / hour (4 US gallons / hr).

Dave

Last edited:
Dave your set up generated tremendous amount of interest among my European buddies. Diesel is their only hope because is available almost everywhere considerably cheaper than gas ( not even talking LL).
How is customer support at WAM?

Wilksch do not seem to be interested in selling the engine!

Vlad,

I have been interested in one of those for a long time. Marc Wilksch himself convinced me. But after a few years of constatntly trying to buy one, I gave up due to a complete lack of interest, in selling me one of these engines, from Wilksch. I am now installing an ECi-Titan IOX-320 built by "Dachsel Flugmotoren GmbH" in Munich. I am now using the return lines to the tanks, that I installed a few years back, for the fuel injection.

Regards, Tonny.

N194CR Airworthiness Inspection Completed

Hope this works. First attempt at including an image.

N194CR, now inspected with a few odds and ends prior to first flight.
Power is Penn Yan/ECI Titan O-320, Catto Prop. Panel contains GRT EFIS Sport and EIS, TruTrak Digitrak w/altitude hold, SL-30, SL-40, GT-327 plus a few steam gauges for back up.

Hope first flight will take place in early April.

Carl Raichle
Lutz, FL

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/2443/n194crpriortoinspection.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently Wilksch are not actively marketing the engine to homebuilders. They're looking to tie up with airframe manufacturers so that they will have the volume of orders needed to be able to produce the engines at a sensible price.

As far as customer support goes I've found them excellent, but at the moment they're a bit like an "exclusive club" - if you can get in the service is excellent, but if not you're left outside in the cold.

Dave

First Flight N194CR

N194CR
Assembled over a seven year period and more than 2500 hours, RV-9A Kit # 90471 broke the surly bonds for the first time on 4-11-09 with Edward Knapp of Zephyrhills, FL at the controls.
N194CRTakeOff4-12.jpg

First flight of roughly 18 minutes was followed by a quick check under the cowl, every fastener and connection checked for security and leaks with no offenders found. I took the controls next and followed with another short flight. Speeds were right on the numbers as advertised. Running the engine hard for break-in, IAS in excess of 150 knots came as a welcome surprise – especially with no wheel fairings! The docile landing characteristics of the 9A have to be experienced to be appreciated. An aircraft that can cruise faster than high dollar machines and land like a trainer is a true joy and I can’t wait to get my time flown off to begin traveling around the southeast US. As of now I have a grand total of 1.5 hours on the airplane and looking for excuses to get to the airport.

N194CR is powered by a ECI Titan O-320 assembled by Penn Yan Aero. The service provided and patient answers to countless questions by this firm is tops. My experience with them was excellent and I would recommend them for any facet of A/C engine construction or repair.

Weight is 1076lbs empty. Interior is by Abby Erdmann of FlightLIne Interiors covering Oregon Aero seat cushions. Panel consists of Airspeed, Altimeter, Turn Coordinator and VSI surrounding a Grand Rapids Sport EFIS with GPS. Grand Rapids EIS handles the engine monitoring chores. Radio stack consists of Garmin SL-30, SL-40, GTX 327 and PS Engineering PM 4000 Audio Panel. Add to this a TruTrak DigiTrak wing leveler and Altrak altitude hold. All in all, this is going to be a terrific cross country traveler.
TheGrin.jpg

Thanks to my wonderful Becky for putting up with this semi obsession for so long and especially my good friends Art Skinner who was on the bucking bar side of the majority of the bazillion rivets in the airplane and Russ Lepre who was a constant source of help and support. Without their help, I'd still be working on it.

And Van’s! Great job on a wonderful kit.

Carl Raichle
Lutz, FL

Last edited:
Congratulations Carl! I knew your first flight would be without squawks as your workmanship is superb. If you need any help flying off those 40 hours, I'm here to help, heh, heh,heh.

Garry Stout

Congratulations,
The amazing flying Qualities of your "9" will take a bit it sink in. Flying as it should be, FUN! Lookin Good Carl.

Congratulations! From the pictures it looks like you did an excellent job on the plane. Enjoy flying your test flights.

Mike Schipper
N63MS - Flying
www.my9a.com

First Flight N194CR

Good job Carl. It's about time! You are going to love it. I lost your phone number would you send me a PM?

Eddy

Congratulations, Carl. I bet you're still smiling! Get through phase 1, then start providing us with trip reports.:D

Great job!

Good job Carl! I love the big smile! It's pretty cool seeing your 9 fly knowing I helped you and Art drill the longerons! I'll have to fly on up and check her out!

N291MT First Flight!

N291MT took to the skies above Anoka-Blaine today!

first_landing.jpg

Doug Weiler took it up for it's maiden voyage, with Tom Berge, Bernie Weiss, Pete Howell and I flying chase in Tom and Bernie's RV's and Peter Fruehling and family taking pictures from the ground.

Doug reports it flies straight, hands off, so clearly I canceled out all my building mistakes. Aside from a leak at one of the oil cooler fittings, all went very well.

Thanks to all the RV'ers in the Twin Cities area including those above, Alex Peterson, Gary Specketer, and also Bret Smith in GA (who'll be flying his -9A as soon as the rain stops).

Congratulations!

The close up of the canopy shows off the quality of your work. Best of luck!

Enjoy!

Carl Raichle
Lutz, FL
RV-9A N194CR

Last edited:
Thanks for the laughs

Pete and a big congratulations to you Mike! I about fell out of my chair, thanks for the pictures and especially your comments! The pic of Tom is priceless. When mine goes up I may have to do it when you're out of town.;)

Mark Erickson
RV9A #91317

Last edited:
first flight congratulations

Mike,
After all those years of work you now see the results. But wait, there is more, soon you will be the PIC. Trust me, it doesn't get much better than that. Again, congratulations to you and your whole family.

Bernie

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Mike, I bet you are very, very excited. Now to have some fun flying off your phase 1. I met you out at the airport the day you started your plane up for the first time. Pretty cool to see it in the air. Congratulations and have fun with your plane. Couldn't stop laughing at the commentary with the pics!

Last edited:
N194CR Painting nearly complete

Dropped the plane off at Hawk A/C Painting (VDF-Tampa, FL) prior to an extended business trip and had my first look. Nice....

Leftsideinshopsm.jpg

wheelpantsm.jpg

Hope to take a day off on Tuesday to assist with final assembly and fly back to my hanger at ZPH. 23 hours at this point and looking forward to finishing the 40 hours by the end of July.

More to follow

Carl Raichle
Lutz (Tampa) FL
RV-9A N194CR

Last edited:
23 hours at this point and looking forward to finishing the 40 hours by the end of July.

I do not believe I would be capable of interrupting Phase I for a paint job. I have no doubts whatsoever that my paint shop trip will take place in Phase II.

Neither did I

Timing was centered around a long business trip. Dropped it off on the day I left. Will be flying it a couple of days after I returned. Really only lost 2 available days of flying. No sweat....well maybe a little shaky but I'll live.

N194CR Back to Hanger & Assembled

Tidied up a few odds and ends with the reassembly and here's the work of Hawk Aircraft Painting at VDF in Tampa. Did it in the time and for the price he quoted and the work is awesome. Central Florida builders should include him when pricing painting.

Rightrearsmall.jpg

I have to admit the basic scheme was derived from a small photo I had seen and saved from this site. I trust the owner will accept this as high praise for an elegant design.

frontrightqtrsmall.jpg

Carl Raichle
RV-9A N194CR
Lutz, FL

Last edited:
Add One More Grin to the Log Book

This morning was a truly amazing day as I flew my RV-9A, N858JK for its first flight. The flight went extremely well, no squawks, and she flew straight and true, no trim required. My CHTs climbed to near 430 degrees on climb out but, by the end of about 20 minutes in a race track course at 3000 feet above the field, had settled down to around 330 degrees with excellent consistency across all four (ECI O-320, fixed pitch Sensenich wood prop). Oil temperature settled at 180 degrees, oil pressure was 80 psi.

I took off and climbed at 110 mph, flew the course at 150 mph (2400 RPM, no gear fairings) entered the pattern at 110 mph, abeam the touchdown point slowed to 90 mph, gave a four count on the flaps, slowed to 75 and held 75 mph and 1200 RPM all the way around base and final (deployed the rest of the flaps on base). The landing sight picture was exactly as I remember it in the 6A during my transition training but at 10 mph slower than in the 6A. The landing was a greaser!!!!

I attribute the total uneventfulness of the flight to 8.5 hours of superb transition training with Mike Seager in his 6A and a fair number of independent eyeballs looking over my work before first flight. Many thanks to Tom Tyndall (EAA flight advisor), Lanny Lambdin, Jeff Caplins, Jeff Frankart and Don Alexander for their help in the pounding of the rivets.

One question. Prior to my airworthiness inspection I performed a fuel flow test at the inlet to the carb with the boost pump on and measured about 25 gallons per hour. My DAR wanted to see at least 18 gallons per hour. The engine ran very well during first flight. What sort of fuel pressure readings should I be seeing with the boost pump (standard Vans electric) on and off?

Some Pictures
PreflightTO

PreflightTO

Landing

PostFlight

Ray

"Textbook Landing"

Thanks. Yup, I was pretty proud of the picture. It is exactly how Mike Seager taught me. He has been flying a 6A off a grass strip for literally hundreds of hours with no incidents. This landing technique is why.

Ray

I was hoping to wait until I got some air-to-air shots, but the weather and my time have not been coincident. So, almost exactly two years after starting, and 8 months after the first flight, 7965A finally got a coat of paint.

Obviously, visibility is a high priority!

Still trying to figure out what sort of tail art to include.

p1060408a.jpg

p1060410a.jpg

Mellow Yellow paint code

Greg what paint is that? Could you please share the code and brand of your Mellow Yellow paint? I like it very much.

Tinted

Greg, Nice looking plane... is it just me or is your canopy tinted? If so, what route did you take and what shade is it. Thanks!

Back