What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Filter Adapter Gasket - question

BSwayze

Well Known Member
Hey Guys,

I'm finally ready to install the oil filter adapter on my engine, and I have a question about sealing the gasket. It's a standard, straight-through adapter, by the way.

I'm going through the instructions in this document: Lycoming Oil Filter Adapter Installation manual, SSP 885-2. My question has to do with using a gasket sealant on the gasket that goes between the oil filter adapter and the accessory case on the engine. Lycoming says "Use POB or an equivalent gasket sealant." What's that? What is this stuff? And where can I get it?

I have a tube of Permatex 2A "Form A Gasket Sealant", non-hardening pliable sealant. Will that work okay? How do you tell if it's equivalent to what Lycoming calls for?

While I'm at it, I'm also wondering about some basics... do you apply this stuff to one side of the gasket or both sides? And how much to use? I would think it should be applied sparingly, unlike the way we do Proseal, so globs of it don't end up breaking loose and circulating through your engine oil. Sound reasonable?

Any A & P types who can help a guy out a little bit? I've been confident working on cars my entire life, but I'm a newbie when it comes to aircraft engine basics.

Thanks so much! :)

Your Permatex "Form-A-Gasket" will work perfectly. Both sides of the gasket, very thin!

THANK YOU, Mel!! I'm so grateful for this resource, and for your prompt reply. That's what I was hoping to hear.

Build on! :)

Do you need a restrictor plate?

I did when I added the adapter to my old engine and I'm not sure when one is required.

Restrictor plate isn't necessary for 320,360 but is for the O-235 you had back then.
Good luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Do you need a restrictor plate?

I did when I added the adapter to my old engine and I'm not sure when one is required.

I was going to say, I don't even know what that is. I went back and looked in the Lycoming Installation manual, and I do see an extra plate for the O-235 engine shown in the drawings. Not sure why, but it's there. I'm glad I didn't miss anything.

Back