What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lyco A1A Rebuild?

flyguy6a

Folks,

Who are some of the top rebuilders for 4 cyl Lycos, and what kind of price range can I expect for a pro "no frills" rebuild to SMOH=0 specs?

Some of these folks don't make it easy to get a quote. The engine is first run with 2100 hrs.

Thanks,

It may not need a rebuild

Do you know the engine's history...oil usage per 5 hours, 10 hours? Compressions? Many of these engines will push 3,000 hours if they're properly cared for and on experimentals, TBO hours are only a guideline.

Best,

Rebuild

Corona Cylinders - Corona Airport, CA

Talk to Ben (owner) - he does great work and can incorporate some mild performance mods in your rebuild (port / polish etc.)

I think some places are reluctant to give a quote because they don't know what they're going to find inside the engine. There are a lot of things that can significantly impact the cost of a rebuild, that you just won't know until you get it all taken apart.

You might talk to Central Cylinder Service here in Omaha, they seem to have a good reputation. I was there and met the guys a couple of weeks ago and was favorably impressed. I got the impression that not much gets out the door without the owner having a hand on it at least once or twice. I saw everything there from a 75 HP Continental to a Merlin and an Allison. Top notch work.

Never overhaul an engine because of hours! If it performs well and doesn't burn a lot of oil, FLY IT!

As said before, a properly cared for Lycoming will easily go to 3,000 hrs. without a problem. My O-320 had over 2800 hrs when I rebuilt it and every part that I removed, more than met servicable tolerances. The only reason I rebuilt it was to increase the HP.

Jack,

My first run 0-360 Lyc has 2600+ hours. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Save your money.

Bevan

Lyc Rebuild

Hi Jack,

IF you need to rebuild, there are many good shops--however, I would highly recommend America's Aircraft Engines!! Talk with Steve Fowler--owner.
Take a look at their web site testimonials at overhaul.com.

Cheers,

db

Overhaul

I have dealt with Mena Aircraft Engines in Arkansas 479-394-7688 on several engines over a 15 yr time span and have been happy with their work and the long term performance & reliability.

Don Broussard

RV 9. Rebuild in Progress

Back