What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fltplan Go, free with Canadian Charts and CFS

The app crashed right after I upgraded my iPad to iOS8.0.2 yet still worked flawlessly on my Android smartphone. I sent FltPlanGo an e-mail and within 5 minutes got this reply:

Our apologies for the problem.

Apple's new "Swift" code framework for iOS8.0.2 has a bug in it. This bug only affects iOS8 (and not iOS7). When an app is uploaded to Apple for review, the developer's code is being incorrectly compiled (built) by Apple's system. This is a known bug with Apple. Apple says they will have this fixed with a new release in the next few days.

In the meantime, please use our FltPlan Legacy app until the issue is resolved. You can download it by going to the App Store and searching fltplan.

In the future, please do not upgrade to any new iOS until it's been out there for at least 1 month. Apple does not necessarily make their new releases backwards compatible. Every airline and every major flight department prohibits their pilots from upgrading to a new Apple iOS system for at least 2 months (and usually longer). In addition, Apple can take 10-14 days to review, approve, and release any developer's apps that get updated.

Thanks,
Kristin
[email protected]

I guess I will wait until Apple fixes the issue. My smart phone is an Android device so I have been using the app on it without any problems.

:cool:

New app now on iTunes.
Opens without crashing now. Trying to open A/FD (CFS) will crash it every time.

This is getting fun! FaultPlan Nogo

I just discovered the app and started using it on my Nexus 7 ... no issues so far, and all my favorite airports seem to be in the database including the CFS.

iflightplanner works fine with new ios

I havent had any issues using an older version of iplanner for the ipad with the IOS 8.0.X versions.
Fltplan Go, an excellent app (when worked), always had crashing and hanging issues for me, hence my moving over to the iflightplanner app the last few months.

I havent had any issues using an older version of iplanner for the ipad with the IOS 8.0.X versions.
Fltplan Go, an excellent app (when worked), always had crashing and hanging issues for me, hence my moving over to the iflightplanner app the last few months.

Our problem up in the attic is the lack of Canadian charts. That's why we have been trying Fltplan Go.

App is crashing again when opening A/FD. It worked for a few weeks, but won't now. iOS 8.02.

Sigh

Anything new to report regarding Fltplan Go and ipad? Is it working any better now? Looking to buy an Ipad but trying to avoid two annual subscriptions (US and Can) just to get Canadian charts.

Bevan

They just announced a bunch of upgrades for the iOS version, including approach and I think even taxi charts overlaid on the moving map, just like ForeFlight.

Here's the update: http://imageserver.fltplan.com/FltBrief/May2016/FltBrief_May2016_Issue1.html

If you've decided to get an iPad anyway, just do it. It costs nothing to try FltPlanGo, if you give it a whirl and decide you don't like it, you can always delete it and buy ForeFlight instead.

Last edited:
Thanks Rob,

My thinking almost exactly. Foreflight requires Ipad as it won't run on Android if I remember correctly. If something else works better and cheaper I'm interested. I'm not married to Apple products.

Bevan

what about the CFS?

The main reason I forked over the $150 for FF is the CFS subscription......which I use about as much as the paper version....ah, almost NEVER!

I have FPG on my Nexus7, but can't recall how FltplanGO handles the CFS....I have trouble finding it in ForeFlight,...but that's hardly surprising...can't find my toothbrush most mornings either!

I have FF VFR for Canada and FPG. I have use FPG for my flights to the USA and I am not planning to renew FF for Canada as FPG does a good job and their free service version is equivalent to FF Pro.

Michel

Bevan said:
My thinking almost exactly. Foreflight requires Ipad as it won't run on Android if I remember correctly. If something else works better and cheaper I'm interested. I'm not married to Apple products.
I'd highly recommend finding the last Nexus7 model (2013 edition) with 32GB storage (WiFi model is fine), used off of Craigslist. It will cost you about $150CDN. It'll run FltPlanGo brilliantly and let you decide whether it's good enough for your needs.

That's less cash than a one year, Canada-only subscription for ForeFlight, and if you decide you don't like it, you can sell the tablet again and recoup most of that.

FltPlanGo has most of the capability of ForeFlight now, but it isn't as user-friendly. I feel that for the cost (free) I can live with the UI, and as a plus I don't have to deal with Apple.

Last edited:
The main reason I forked over the $150 for FF is the CFS subscription......which I use about as much as the paper version....ah, almost NEVER!

I have FPG on my Nexus7, but can't recall how FltplanGO handles the CFS....I have trouble finding it in ForeFlight,...but that's hardly surprising...can't find my toothbrush most mornings either!
FltPlanGo has the full CFS as well, all for the same low price (free). You have to download it through the "downloads" screen, after that you can call up individual airport CFS pages from the airport info page in FPG.

Note that procedures are stored separately, and have to be downloaded as a "binder" on the Binders tab. This is much less intuitive than FF, if I recall, but has worked for me when needed.

Just used FPG tonight on my Nexus 6 phone. I have a first-gen Nexus 7 running FPG as well, but the phone is so handy because I always have it with me, so the N7 stays at home.

Using the CFS airport diagram on FPG was a piece of cake, and, unlike the paper CFS, one can ZOOM in and see the info one wants. Yeah, getting older really sucks when it comes to diminishing performance of the eyeballs... ;-)

I have had fltlan Go on the iPad 1 for almost 5 years now as an alternate to ForeFlight. Never really liked FPG then as it crashed and was somewhat difficult to use.

Bought the iPad mini 2 years ago and when my FF subscription expired during our annual inspection I delayed the renewal and tried FFG again. What a difference a couple of years make. Very stable and all the information I needed for VFR/IFR in both Canada and US. Had used the iPad 1 as a backup unit, but in the last few years Apple has orphaned this unit preventing iOS upgrades and app developers from providing updates. I have replaced the backup iPad 1 unit with a 2nd hand Nexus 7 2013 unit and am extremely pleased.

The user interface is not as slick as FF, however it has improved tremendously over the years and works just great. Technical support is also very quick, and all for $ 0.00. Oh, also works with Stratux wx and traffic, and available on both iOS and Android. What more could you ask for. Give it a try.

I have not gone back to FF and don't really miss it. The extra savings from using FPG go towards fuel (about $350 per year).

What was the question? Oh, CFS! I used to get the paper version delivered, and that cost $150 per year. Now I have it with me all the time and updated. When you go to airports on the app, you can open the CFS page for that airport just like FF, but you cannot browse. You can download sections of it into your binders section just like FF. I wish there was a better way to navigate the CFS, but so far it works. Airport Flight Directories are there as well for our USA flights.

Also, someone mentioned not using the CFS. If you travel to unfamiliar airports, you might want to know the ARCAL frequency (not always the unicom frequency) and the pattern used (altitude and direction). Both FF and FPG don't seem to provide the direction of pattern (circuit) in the airport summary.

"When you go to airports on the app, you can open the CFS page for that airport just like FF, but you cannot browse. You can download sections of it into your binders section just like FF."

Alfio - when you've got a minute to spare, would you mind expanding on this comment, please? I "think" you're indicating that we can't browse through the CFS pages as though it were a PDF or similar document - is this correct?

For me, a true low-tech user, the biggest complaint I have with respect to using the CFS pages is in not being able to quickly and easily access the forward and afterward material that's so handy and easy to find in the paper version.

Last night was an interesting flight as I was using the Garmin 396 as my primary navigation device and FPG on the Nexus 6 as my "information getting" tool. I'm now thinking I need to have at least this level of info available in the cockpit. Wow, are we spoiled by not having to lug around tons of paper!

I downloaded it recently and will give it a try. Thanks for recommendation Alfio. I do have all FF bells and whistles till December but it costs a lot of gas. If I can "write" my rather complex routes on Fltplan Go I keep it :D

Alfio - when you've got a minute to spare, would you mind expanding on this comment, please? I "think" you're indicating that we can't browse through the CFS pages as though it were a PDF or similar document - is this correct?

Not sure I understand your question, given that you are already using FPG. My issues is that, for instance, CYOW airport information ---> CFS. I only get the airport information for CYOW, while in the paper CFS I also have the VFR corridors, reporting points and other information available. If I could browse beyond what they provide under information for airports, that would really make my day. I have not found it in the CFS download items either. I had the same issue with FF... maybe it's my mindset that needs adjusting :cool:

I don't know where to get that information. There may be a way of doing this... I guess I should follow my own advice and contact support :)

If I can "write" my rather complex routes on Fltplan Go I keep it :D

My guess is it should work. On the iPad, you can also rubber-band your routes. Contact their support if you have questions, as they are very responsive. Interested to hear back how it works for you.

OK, now I understand what you're highlighting, Alfio. Yes, I haven't been able to find that "other" info, either. I don't have a current AIR5000 and Ottawa VTA chart to see how much VTA info is actually visible on the chart shown in FPG. Perhaps that's the only way we'll see the VFR corridor, reporting points etc. Still, there's no way that I know of to see the info just as it is presented in the CFS. Time for a question to the support folks at FPG!

OK, now I understand what you're highlighting, Alfio. Yes, I haven't been able to find that "other" info, either. I don't have a current AIR5000 and Ottawa VTA chart to see how much VTA info is actually visible on the chart shown in FPG. Perhaps that's the only way we'll see the VFR corridor, reporting points etc. Still, there's no way that I know of to see the info just as it is presented in the CFS. Time for a question to the support folks at FPG!

Goto DOWNLOADS|PROCEDURES|CANADA and choose the province. Now the additional CFS info is in your Binder. There is no search function so you must scroll manually through it to find the airport of interest.

I reported the 'bug' over a year ago but in typical FPG style, but they ignored me. They've come a long way with their app, but this is a really clunky way of retrieving critical info... It should be in the CFS airport information.

I "think" you're indicating that we can't browse through the CFS pages as though it were a PDF or similar document - is this correct?

For me, a true low-tech user, the biggest complaint I have with respect to using the CFS pages is in not being able to quickly and easily access the forward and afterward material that's so handy and easy to find in the paper version.
Yes, that is correct. The CFS comes in as individual PDF pages for each airport, and you can only access them by hitting the "CFS" button on the Airport Info page within FPG. The pages included are only the airport diagram and airport info, none of the procedures are accessible this way.

For the procedures, you have to go to Downloads -> Procedures -> Canada and select the provinces you want for download. Once you have them, you can go to Binders -> My Documents, hit the "Filter" button and say "Downloaded only" and then chose the Procedures PDF for the province you want. You'll have to scroll through to find the airport you want.

This is probably the worst UI gaffe in the entire program, if they could incorporate the procedures with each airport's pages, it would save a lot of effort in the cockpit. My understanding is that ForeFlight isn't a *lot* better in this regard though... I'll have to check the next time I see someone's iPad with FF installed.

[edit] Yes, what Vern said... That'll teach me to reply to a post without reading all the pages first... :p

Goto DOWNLOADS|PROCEDURES|CANADA and choose the province. Now the additional CFS info is in your Binder. There is no search function so you must scroll manually through it to find the airport of interest.

I reported the 'bug' over a year ago but in typical FPG style, but they ignored me. They've come a long way with their app, but this is a really clunky way of retrieving critical info... It should be in the CFS airport information.

We split the CFS up for you in the Airports section. Go to the Airports tab and tap Open AF/D (CFS in Canada) and you will only get the CFS for that airport. For "Procedures" you would tap on the Procedures button (still Airports tab) where you can download the charts for just one airport. It is the fasted way to get the information you need in one location. As far as other sections of the CFS, front and back matter, go to the Downloads section under Documents and scroll down until you find CFS Information (CAP Gen, VFR Terminal Procedures, etc.).

Hope this helps....email [email protected] if you need more information.

Last edited:
We split the CFS up for you in the Airports section. Go to the Airports tab and tap Open AF/D (CFS in Canada) and you will only get the CFS for that airport. For "Procedures" you would tap on the Procedures button (still Airports tab) where you can download the charts for just one airport. It is the fasted way to get the information you need in one location. As far as other sections of the CFS, front and back matter, go to the Downloads section under Documents and scroll down until you find CFS Information (CAP Gen, VFR Terminal Procedures, etc.).

As a "long time user" of FltPlanGo I am really glad to see you are now participating on this forum.
:cool:

Am also a fan of fltplan. Thanks for chiming in.

Ottawa Terminal Procedures. Found it under Binders, CFS ON VFR Terminal Procedures after downloading the separate procedures.

Would it be possible to index this information or allow for a search? Scrolling down to Ottawa is painfully slow on the Nexus 7. It is faster on the iPad Mini though.

As Vern mentioned earlier, this really should also be available in the Airports section as well. the paper CFS will have both VFR procedures and airport information in the same section. It would certainly give you another "leg up" on FF. :)

Last edited:

So far, I like everything about the CFS implementation EXCEPT how you've handled the procedures.

"Open CFS" brings up the CFS pages starting with the airport diagram. It skips the pages that are *before* this, that include procedures for operating at the airport. To find those, you have to switch away from the airport info, to the Binders tab, then you have to hit the "filter" button and select "downloaded only" to get all the stuff you don't use off the screen (why this isn't remembered is beyond me... EVERY time I come back to this tab I have to re-filter). Then you have to find the right Procedures document for your province, then you have to scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll to get to the airport you need.

Please, please, please, separate out the Procedures pages for airports as well, and either link to them with a "Procedures" button or include them in the same PDF that opens when you hit "Open CFS".

So on May 18, 2014 (2 years ago), I complained about FltPlan Go's handling of VFR terminal procedures both here and directly to FltPlan.com.

According to the most recent (May 16, 2016) press release from FltPlan.com: "FltPlan makes flight planning as simple and cost effective as possible while providing outstanding customer support 24/7/365".

Maybe we are not customers......

FWIW, I emailed FltPlanGo support about this issue again this week. After some back-and-forth to explain that I didn't want the introductory information from the CFS, but the per-airport procedures, the response was this:

FltPlanGo Support said:
At this time the best option is the following:

1. In the Binder tap on the document to open it
2. Use the button at the top that looks like a square made up of 4 boxes
3. In this mode you can find and Bookmark you page
4. Do this before you take off so once in the air you can go back to that view and quickly find your bookmark

This will give you an immediate way to speed up the process.
I?ll ask the programmers if there is a search feature they can build in.

I'd say that this is not "the best" option at all. It's "an" option, and maybe the only option right now. But it's about the worst way it could be implemented.

Further update... I sent them a couple of example airports to review (CYYJ and CYNJ):

FltPlanGo Support said:
Appreciate the detail and page numbers.
We will include the VFR Terminal Procedures in the Airport tab in the next update cycle, 5/26/16.

In the meantime, to access the VFR Procedures for these airports:
1. Go to the Downloads tab
2. Download CFS BC VFR Terminal Procedures
3. Once downloaded go to the Binder tab
4. Open the CFS BC VFR document
5. CYNJ is pages 22 - 23
6. CYYJ is pages 47 ? 50

As I mentioned above, after the update you will just go to the Airports tab and all the CFS information will be under the Open AF/D button.

So check back after the 5/26 update and see if anything new shows up.

Further update... I sent them a couple of example airports to review (CYYJ and CYNJ):

So check back after the 5/26 update and see if anything new shows up.

Wow, if they do this, I can use FltPlan Go in the cockpit. Fingers crossed.

Update - As of today, the CFS entries now include the procedures for the individual airports that have them (or at least for those I checked... CYNJ, CYYJ, CZBB... I'm sure there are others).

Thanks to FltPlanGo for putting that together!

FLTPlan Go made a lot of progress on supporting Canadian charts and CFS (flight guide) information.

By no means is it bug free, but it actually became useful when they included the published VFR procedures with the CFS information. I was making plans to upgrade my iPad when I learned that they have reversed this decision and no longer support this information.

So I still need to carry a printed CFS so that this critical information is always at hand.

It's a big problem for Canadians and those planning to fly into Canada. Sigh.

Back