What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Tail transplant

Yes, you can do that.

However, if you're flying an RV-4 with a wood prop, short gear legs, and an O-320... you're going to make it even more tail heavy due to the extra weight (counterbalance, etc.) of the RV-8 tail.

If you're flying an RV-4 with a metal prop, etc.... maybe.

The point is that you need to check your W&B before doing anything.

A complete RV-4 tail weighs about 45# w/o paint. I don't have the RV-8 tail weight. Anyone?

RV-8 tail on RV-4 ???

I'm building a highly modified Rocket and asked Ken Fowler if I should scrap my -4 tail for an -8 tail or F1 tail. His input was to stay with the -4 tail. Ken has the most experience (that I know of) with pushing the Rocket to the outer edges of its envelope and has encountered issues with the tail feathers. His experience was that the -4 tail with the thicker elevator skins (per Rocket) is the least prone to issues. I'd suggest thinking about staying with the -4 tail.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever transplanted an RV8 complete tail to an RV4?

Clarence

Use the search function. I broke the weight down by parts. It was 8 to 9 lbs difference in the wrong direction.

Still wondering if anyone has the true, as-built, weight of an RV-8 empennage?

Painted or not painted?

Vince,
I did that. "broke down by parts" means each component as in right elevator, left elevator, etc.

Will do a search when I get a moment.

Last edited:
Found it from 2014. I was building a -4 and -8 at the same time.

RV-8 tail
Rudder = 8.5 lbs
V-stab = 8.5 lbs
H-stab = 17.5 lbs
L elevator = 8.5 lbs
R elevator = 8.5 lbs
Total = 51.5 lbs

RV-4
Rudder = 4.5 lbs
V-stab = 7 lbs
H-stab = 19 lbs
L elevator = 4.5 lbs
R elevator = 4.5 lbs
Total = 39.5 lbs

Difference of 12 lbs. Part were not painted however, primed inside.

Axel,

Did your parts have the counterbalance weights installed?

My RV-4 tail, including the counterbalance weights, weighed 51 lb without paint.

Thanks!

Back