What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fiberglass primer

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
hi all, i am done enough with the ''bodywork'' on my cowl that i would like to prime it to pick out imperfections, pinholes . is there a rattle cam primer preferred for glass that will not interfere with a finish coat later on, probably a 2 part finish?
thanks

You will probably get different opinions on this, but I would not use a rattle can primer for anything other than interior painting. With good, reasonably cheap epoxy primers and very cheap HVLP guns from HF, why not just do it right? The PPG Omni high build is probably cheaper than rattle can and while it is not the best, it will for sure beat any non epoxy primer from a can.

The one thing about rattle can primers is you can wipe them off with a bit of acetone or lacquer thinner so if you want to test a small part of the cowl, spray, check, then wipe off.

it is not my intention to use the rattle can primer as the primer coat for my finish coat.i want to put on some primer to see any flaws that hide in the multi color finish of gel, fiberglass and epoxy filler. i expect most of the rattle can primer will get sanded off. i am questioning whether or not i can use it like this and in the end will i have residuals that are a problem.

Plenty of automotive primers that will do the job

1 part and 2 part

Any build primer will work just spray inspect and sand.

WLS Primer

WLS primer is a "high-build" primer and you can squeegee it on to fill pinholes. It comes in either gray or white. The finish coat adheres well to WLS. I think you have to buy it directly from the company in Los Angeles.

Using it for a pinhole spotter, it should work great. People use drywall mud to fill pinholes so primer has to work at least as good at it! It will make the flaws show up much better with a contrasting color and final primer will seal anything you put on.

I am enjoying the glass work. It is so easy to think your surface is perfect until you spray a bit of primer. Then when you get the gloss on, it is even worse! Buy lots of sand paper and dust masks!

ok, got it, thanks.
long ago i made a permanent mount outside my shop and a hole thru the wall for my fresh air rebreather and i make myself use it even for any sanding. wear it for a few minutes even with hand sanding and when you take it off you can really smell the dust for a few seconds.

No matter how good your primer is, you will end up with pinholes anyway. I use this stuff to fill them:

391730.JPG

Auto paint stores carry the Evercoat and it costs around $30 (? may have gone up lately)

Last edited:
hi all, i am done enough with the ''bodywork'' on my cowl that i would like to prime it to pick out imperfections, pinholes . is there a rattle cam primer preferred for glass that will not interfere with a finish coat later on, probably a 2 part finish?
thanks

I talked to Grady and he said he uses Evercoat metal glaze 416 and applies it with a thin stainless steel squeegee. I tried it when doing the canopy glassing and it will fill the finest scratches and pinholes. Pass both directions for best pinhole filling. Easily sanded with 320. Nearly all of it comes off with the squeegee. That will leave a good base for primer.

Auto paint stores carry the Evercoat and it costs around $30 (? may have gone up lately)

To fix a few renegade pinholes found after spraying primer for a surface check? Sure, use almost anything...two-part polyester, drywall mud, lacquer putty, or whatever. Just be sure to sand off every speck on the surface, leaving only the filler inside the pinhole. Then shoot another coat of epoxy primer, followed by high build if you intend to block.

Bob....just shoot a good epoxy primer for your pinhole check. No worry.

I talked to Grady and he said he uses Evercoat metal glaze 416 and applies it with a thin stainless steel squeegee.
I use a single-edge razor blade. The working time on the Evercoat is only a matter of minutes so be quick!

Back