What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting on the Rear side skins and Rollbar problems

dave4754

Well Known Member
I purchased a Q built fuse and went building away. When i got to the Rear side skin on my RV 7 and began riveting it on i proceeded to the forward most portion below the rollbar attachment point. If I continued it would not have allowed the rear screws to be put in on the rollbar as the side skin would not bend out of the way.

To my surprise the Qbuild people did not rivet the reinforcing angle underneath the rollbar and to my further surprise I was not able to just rivet it on as the side skin rivets would not have room.

My fix for this will be to attach the angle iron attachment to the rollbar with the rear screws attached, which in turn hold the fuse/ rollbar angle in place and lower all into place after the rear skin has been riveted on.

Sorry no pics and at work here miles from the build no part numbers, but hey if anyone following this has other suggestions please let me know.

Has anyone run into this?

Dave

Short answer - yes. You will have to do the riveting for the side skin and then reinstall the roll bar. An alternative is to relieve the under angle (F-705G) so that cherry max pull rivets have enough room to be installed. Much more room is needed than you might think - do the homework before pursuing this path.

I had the roll bar and brace installed before I found out this issue. I had to remove the under angle (F-705G), rivet the skin and re-rivet the under angle in place. It was about a three day job. Get good at using a double offset rivet set before you start.

Since my roll bar was installed/fitted, only the vertical (& interior horizontal) attachment bolts were removed and access to the side screw is not necessary. That is not difficult. See DWG 40

Last edited:
Thanks BillL

Thanks Bill

As mentioned phoned Vans and they were not help on this.

I did however, the same as you suggested. I took the rollbar off, and began riveting the 705 G L& R AFTER! the rear side skins were riveted on.

As you mentioned, you MUST allow for a pocket in the side of the 705G in order for the shop head of the side skin rivets to find room. This was essential and to my account I could not find this in the 10 year old version of manual.

The unit (Rollbar and angle iron attachments ) were reinstalled and all is well again. Building on as they say!

Thanks for your reply.

Back