What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Here am I again! First engine start

Guilhermepilot

Well Known Member
https://youtu.be/836dK77R2lI

On second start after 10 minutes from first I experienced rough idle and BOTH slicks mags dropped 250 to 300 rpm at 1800 rpm, full power on my sterba was steady at 2380rpm smooth on engine. Everything is new, another issue was my G3X single screen went dead when cranking and soon after came alive,
Keep walking tomorrow to solve those skawks

Congratulations on the first engine start!!. For info it is not recomended to run the engine without the wings installed.

https://youtu.be/836dK77R2lI

Everything is new, another issue was my G3X single screen went dead when cranking and soon after came alive,
Keep walking tomorrow to solve those skawks

I hope my backup battery will prevent the low voltage dropout of the G3X.

Congrats on the start. Be sure to check the empennage. Apparently, damage has occurred from running the engine without the wings on! I don't have facts, but it is not done for that reason.

Motor runing

There is nothing like the first time when you start a motor in the fuselage and hear and feel the shake.. Very Cooooooool.... :)

Mag drop

It is not unusual to see some oil fowling on a fresh engine, the fact that it cleared when given full power is assurance that was the problem. I would not run it full power except to seen that it will give required thrust for flight.

Do not let the cht's get above 400 during your testing, and do not restart until things are cool enough to rest your hand on the cylinder.

Get a copy of ECI's cylinder break in procedures and follow them! I have never had a bad break in once I started using these methods.

Boyd Birchler
A&P/IA

First Start

Congratulations on the first engine start!!. For info it is not recomended to run the engine without the wings installed.

Congrads on your first start! The beast finally comes to life.

As a newbie who is still working on the fuselage of an RV7, I have a question.
Why is it not recommended to start without the wings attached? Aside from fact that the Vmu (minimum unstick speed) would be a really BIG number? ;)

Thanks,
Steve Wolfe

Shake

Steve, the wings are a great damper, absorbing the power pulses from the engine.

The vertical fin takes a pounding without the wings since there is a considerable reaction from the fuselage with no wings.

Best,

At one time there was a You Tube of an experimental that was started without the wings. not a pretty sight.
Tom

When cranking the aircraft dance like a lady
i agree that is bad, but today wings will be done ai will be
Able to deal with my fuel injection system

Back