What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Who has finished wings

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
Everyone has been awaiting the release of the empennage, but who is actually ready to start it? Or are some people waiting to start the empennage kit first? Or are most people just wanting to know the pricing?

I just started wings, so I imagine that I have a bit of time before I buy the next kit.

Not exactly finished Vlad, just finished as far as I can go til pre-close inspection by MDRA here in Canada. At over $500 per inspection, and same fee for more than one sub kit , I think I'll get all the plane ready for inspection and get it all done at once and only have to pay the fee once.

Finished Wings

Congrats Ron. Do you have a website showing your project? I am waiting on wings, so studying all I can. Thanks.

I finished my wings near the end of June. Ordered my tail kit on Sunday, the day before the start of Airventure - 10 weeks before the start of shipments. I don't think the Fuse kit will take as long. They were working out some control harmony issues on the elevator to make sure it handles as perfectly as the rest of the fleet..... well worth the wait. Look for PD to do a follow up flight report on the change.

Im about 70% done in 6 months of part time work. Left wing, BOTH fuel tanks and the left flap complete. Sounds like I need to get busy....ordered my next kit at Oshkosh!

How many hours to build the wings?

I spent a long time building (and flying!) my -4 and am considering a -14. On Monday, Ken told the that relative to my -4 wings, the -14 wings will practically fall out of the crate and assemble themselves....(my exaggeration). Can you guys who have really built the -14 wings (or nearly so) share with us the hours it took to do so? And what does "done" mean... flaps? ailerons? linkages? tips? primer?

Thanks,

This first time builder has about 280 hours to get to the 70% point from the previous post.

I understand the experienced Beta tester for Vans completed the wing kit in 300 hours (not including wing tips).

I spent a long time building (and flying!) my -4 and am considering a -14. On Monday, Ken told the that relative to my -4 wings, the -14 wings will practically fall out of the crate and assemble themselves....(my exaggeration). Can you guys who have really built the -14 wings (or nearly so) share with us the hours it took to do so? And what does "done" mean... flaps? ailerons? linkages? tips? primer?

Thanks,

I am a first time builder. I spent 430 hours to complete the wings kit, but I still need to do the wing tips. My youngest son also spent 200 hours with me. Most people I talk with don't seem to track the hours of their helpers. I primed everything and that adds A LOT OF TIME!
I used the primer Van's recommends, I lightly sanded the parts then used a Sherwin Williams cleaner then the Van's recommended wash primer. It looks great and is tough as nails, but did I mention it adds A LOT OF TIME! :)

I spent 347 hours building my wings (builders log) and they are complete including the wingtips. The landing lights and NAV/STRB lights aren't installed yet, but the lenses for both are done. I installed a Bob Archer NAV antenna inside my right wingtip. I didn't prime everything, but I primed some of the parts. That took me about 6 months of part time work. I have a full time job, but no kids at home anymore, and I'm building at home which helps a lot.

who has finished wings

Wings finished.
Tail kit is at the custom and I expect to receive it in a couple of days.
As I am a first time and slow builder I prefer to not track the building hours.
Georges

Back