What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO 408

Has anyone installed this on their plane or have they gotten a recent quote? I was searching the forums and saw an old thread, there seemed to be a decent amount of noise about it. Anybody willing to share, I'm actually nervous to pick up the phone and ask for a quote.

408 Engine

The initial offering was to have a brand new engine built from the suppliers including the kits that I make. Unfortunately the price of the "complete" kit for this arrangement worked out rather high, as you have pointed out.
I am now offering the kits as an upgrade for those that already have an engine. The kit price is $21000, I have dealers in the USA and Europe. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. [email protected]

The initial offering was to have a brand new engine built from the suppliers including the kits that I make. Unfortunately the price of the "complete" kit for this arrangement worked out rather high, as you have pointed out.
I am now offering the kits as an upgrade for those that already have an engine. The kit price is $21000, I have dealers in the USA and Europe. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. [email protected]

Is there a certain engine configuration required for this kit. I assume its an IO360 but I was wondering if angle valve and the like were important?

kit

Do you have a listing of what the kit includes? Do it come with the fuel system, starter, mags?

Jesse

Do you have a listing of what the kit includes? Do it come with the fuel system, starter, mags?

Jesse

Please let me know what location you are in and I will forward your interests to one of my distributors. I do not sell directly, only through authorized engine build shops. Kind regards

Andrew

I've been corresponding with Aero Sport Power and their quoted price on this engine (new) is $49,000.

As far as I'm concerned, it is price and performance competitive with a Thunderbolt IO-540 but is 100 lbs lighter.

Andrew,

Are any of your kits in operation? If so, what type of service are they in (recreation, racing, ect) and what is the max hours achieved thus far?

408 kits

The new kits that have been sold have been built. The kits are not really aimed at a particular market. For the "racing" spec, we do have completely new heads that have been cast. These have been in service for sometime on a RedBull air race aircraft.
The 408 kit has been designed and tested to ASTM F2339-06 consensus standard as a minimum requirement to ensure airworthiness.

Kind regards

Andrew

I've been corresponding with Aero Sport Power and their quoted price on this engine (new) is $49,000.

As far as I'm concerned, it is price and performance competitive with a Thunderbolt IO-540 but is 100 lbs lighter.

So Aerosport is offering the 408-AC? Have they shipped any yet?

408 Kits

Yes, Aero Sport have recently bought two kits and AEP in the UK have purchased another (building in July)

Regards

Andrew

Back