What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Superior XP408ac

Flyrod

Well Known Member
Anybody kicked the tires on this yet?
Do they have the new cranks/rods in stock?
Do they have a running engine yet?
I guess using the extra 1/2" in the cylinders does no harm?
I wonder where the cranks/rods are forged and machined?

I hope they bring an open or cut away case with the new crank and rods to sun N Fun.:)

I believe the engine is only about 50K. No urge to kick the tires at that price. :) Larry

OUCH!

I would say that will price them out of the market. Superior's prices have always been reasonable in the past. If true, this would be a major change in strategy.

Nothing wrong

with having a 600 BHP Cobra Mustang in the catalog for $70K ++. I'll still buy the 6cyl version and hope I win the lottery someday...:D.

Very happy with my Superior 180HP cold sump BTW...

Talked to one of the original engineers at the Reno Air Races last year. They had a display with an engine, crank, etc laying around.

They had done some Formula 1 engine work, so they had some good ideas. But, at that point there were a lot of questions that couldn't be answered. Prop harmonics come to mind. I don't understand the need for the dedicated oil line to the rocker covers. Sure it has to help, but I didn't think this was a weak point in the original Lycoming design.

Eh.. Not sure how I feel about it. I guess I'm a little bitter because NONE of the parts will fit my Superior XP-400 and the program has been put on the shelf, even though my airplane went 264 mph average race speed!

I hope it works, we all need something new.

Tom,

the upper end lubrication limitations were the reason Lycoming came out with the "Bravo" mod for the early 90s Mooney TLS. Valve guide life was limited at high power settings in the lower flight levels. My TLS/Bravo had the mod before I purchased it. A little extra plumbing, but I had no problems with it. I suspect the issue was cooling, not really lubrication, but I'm not surprised that Superior decided to head this potential problem off at the pass...

Anybody kicked the tires on this yet?
Do they have the new cranks/rods in stock?
Do they have a running engine yet?
I guess using the extra 1/2" in the cylinders does no harm?
I wonder where the cranks/rods are forged and machined?

I hope they bring an open or cut away case with the new crank and rods to sun N Fun.:)

I hear that yes, they have engines running, yes the crank and rods are forged and machined. Because the piston is so much shorter an extra 1/2" makes no difference. I have also heard that the Japanese tsunami did impact some of their parts suppliers which has affected parts availability, but that engines are now being delivered.

Pete

Back