What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Planning

dbuds2

Well Known Member
Like Christmas yesterday with first real arrival of Dynon electronics from Stein. I'd like some input about mounting various components on the back side of the main/center panel.

Here you can see the back side with the Dynon picture planner in the center (it would obviously face to the front when complete) with the EMS module, the back up battery, and a paper transponder. Barely visible is the Sharpie markings for the SL30 and intercom at the very bottom.

I'm thinking of putting in countersunk screws from the front, secure with a nut, then install each Dynon component on top of the first nut, and lock nut to hold it down. I'm covering my panel with vinyl that should hide the head of the flush screws.

So far, I only have the Skyview screen, radio and intercom on main/center panel. The side panels have back up AS/Alt, ELT, CO monitor, vent, and some switches.

img0381nw.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bud,

Do you not have room on the bulkhead behind the main panel? That is were I mounted mine there might be a better place but it worked for me. I mounted my dynon transponder In the rear baggage compartment so antenna coax run would be short. You can see pictures on my web site link below.

Similar Setup

Bud,

I also have the 10" Skyview planned. Here is what I decided to do with the EMS:

img0907wh.jpg

I'm not using the Dynon Transponder (only because I had already shelled out the $$ for a different one) but I would recommed mounting it in the back like Mike W suggested. You already have to run wire for the ADAHRS, so a couple extra for the transponder is no big deal.

I plan to mount the EFIS battery on the baggage bulkhead once I buy it.

Here's a couple other pics:

img0908u.jpg

img0909i.jpg

Lots of extra wire that will eventually go away. Good luck!

Two SkyView displays in an 8

I too am planning on using a SkyView system. I cannot decide if I want one 10 inch screen or two 7 inch screens for redundancy and possibly dedicating one for engine monitoring. I have no idea how reliable these systems are, and I am somewhat concerned that with one monitor, the plane will be completely out of service in the case of a display malfunction. Does anyone know if there is sufficient room to stack two 7 inch screens in the middle of the panel?

yup there is sufficient room for the two 7in screens as that is what i have planned. top will be setup as pfd, botttom mfd. check out xpanel 5000. great panel building software. if only i could figure out how to post a pic i would show what i have planned....:confused:

Like Christmas yesterday with first real arrival of Dynon electronics from Stein. I'd like some input about mounting various components on the back side of the main/center panel.

Here you can see the back side with the Dynon picture planner in the center (it would obviously face to the front when complete) with the EMS module, the back up battery, and a paper transponder. Barely visible is the Sharpie markings for the SL30 and intercom at the very bottom.

I'm thinking of putting in countersunk screws from the front, secure with a nut, then install each Dynon component on top of the first nut, and lock nut to hold it down. I'm covering my panel with vinyl that should hide the head of the flush screws.

So far, I only have the Skyview screen, radio and intercom on main/center panel. The side panels have back up AS/Alt, ELT, CO monitor, vent, and some switches.

img0381nw.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I don't think you'll have room to get the connector onto the plug on the EMS that way...

One thing to consider when laying it all out is the size of connectors AND the minimum bend radii on the wire bundles, AND that you have to be able to get in there and tighten the screws with a screwdriver (or use the knurled knob type and get your hand in there).

I had to add a 90 degree 15-pin D-SUB adapter to my EMS and ARINC modules for precisely this reason (didn't notice until *after* mounting them that the tip-up canopy would interfere with the wire bundle).

Back