What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Custom Push-Pull Cable Source?

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Hi All,

Sometime in the near future, we're going to be needing throttle, mixture and prop cables for the RV-3 project. By the very nature of the kit, it would be a surprise if a "stock" cable length will fit, so I am thinking I'll have to order to length. These will be quadrant cables of course, no knobs on the ends.

Has anyone used a good source recently to have FWF control cables made? Anyone got the latest on what they like? This might be an interesting thread...I'm sure there's more than one opinion out there....:rolleyes:

ACS products will not sell anything directly. You have to go thru AC$ to get custom cables made. I have gotten custom cables made thru AC$ so its not a problem, and I've modified and replaced solid-wire cables myself.

dito on aircraftspruce.
got a nice custom vernier mixture cable from them. (thin and greyish sleeve)
great quality and workmanship, however with a price tag of 150$+ extremely expensive. different throw length at the threaded end than the van's cables (had to get a special extension to make them matching with brackets designed for van's cables, also from spruce).
they should also supply quadrant cables with threads on each end.

used custom length push/pull cables with threads for throttle and prop ordered through van's. (the thick green ones), much cheaper but not for aviation use etc... ;-) also seen reports with them getting adversely affected / binding quickly by firewall forward heat / proximity to exhaust.
we put firesleeve around where it's relatively close to the pipes and after only 40hours no complaints so far.

most annoying is that the cables' outside diameters are nowhere documented and you will need different size firewall passthroughs depending on which you use. guilty myself as i did not write them down for future reference.
also, the passthroughs will have to be just tight enough to clamp yet not too tight to avoid deforming the cables.

rgds, bernie

Perfection Equipment: OKC

We have a great source for cables here in OKC: Perfection Equipment

They're an Aeroquip and Cablecraft dealer, so can make up the exact same cables as Vans does but to your exact specs. They've made many cables for my go cart project...

Paul,
Tuthill.com has a web site. I have looked over the web site but have not ordered anything from them but they do have aircraft push pull cables. I think another poster has used them but you would probably need to do some research. I would like to have another source myself as much trouble as people have with the blue green vans cables. If you come up with something good let us know I will need some shortly myself.

Thanks for all the inputs. As I recall, when the VAF community was researching cables a couple of years ago due to short lifetimes on some installations, we discovered that Van's cables were, in fact, Tuthill cables. I was mostly asking for good "retail" sources, and it looks like most go to ACS - good to know.

Paul

Cables

Hi Paul,
Have a look at Control Cables Inc. in California, they can custom make any length. I've used them for some race car stuff and been very happy with the product and service. www.controlcables.com

Jon Adams
New Hudson, MI (Y47)
RV-8 Fuselage

McFarlane

+1 for McFarlane. I was very happy with their thoroughness in the ordering process to ensure I got exactly what I needed. The finished product was excellent quality and fit perfectly. Their online order sheet has detailed installation dimensions.

M

Back