VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-09-2018, 07:47 AM

Default RV4 Checkout....

Hey everyone, I'm new to the site and would like to say thanks for having me! I'm purchasing an RV4 in the next 2 weeks, I have a couple in mind, but I have not flown one. I do have a fair amount of recent tail wheel time, and owned a citabria previously. Is there anyone on here that can help me find an RV4 check out or transition training in the Tucson AZ area? I will be in AZ for the next 6 months for work. Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to meeting some of you and when I purchase my aircraft getting to become a more contributing member to the vans air force.

Nelson
Old 02-09-2018, 08:24 AM

It's highly unlikely that you'll find anybody who will give you training in an RV-4 as the visibility from the back is poor and there are no rudder pedal kits available for the -4. If your tailwheel skills are really good and you've flown any RV-series airplane, that may be as good as you can do.

What does your insurance company say?

When I bought my -4, my skills were really good and I flew it well with no transition training. Not bragging, but that was before all the transition training folks were in business.

Read up on flying the -4. It's great solo, but with somebody in the back seat, the same stick pull that gives 2 Gs solo will give you 5 Gs. Pay attention to the aerobatic CG limits -- many folks have won Darwin awards when they ignored them.

Ed
2018 dues paid
Retired - "They used to pay me to be good, now I'm good for nothing."
Old 02-09-2018, 08:59 AM

I've sat in a 4 but no actual flight time. One I'm looking at had rear pedals, the other does not. I have Citabria and cub time, flown handful of other aircraft and fly light twins commercially. I haven't fully bought the transition training idea yet. An rv is just another airplane and I don't think the transition is really necessary, but I would like to have someone ride along for a few trips around the pattern. As for my insurance they are fine with a cfi ride along for 2 hours. No transition or anything required. They don't really care if the cfi has any rv time as long as he/she has 150 hrs tw time. Glad to hear not everyone thinks rvs require 747 type training. Lol I've been told you actually don't have to dance on the rudder as much with the rv4 as you would a Citabria. Any truth to that?
Old 02-09-2018, 09:00 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 337_Driver View Post
Hey everyone, I'm new to the site and would like to say thanks for having me!

Nelson
Nelson, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 02-09-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I've been told you actually don't have to dance on the rudder as much with the rv4 as you would a Citabria. Any truth to that?
I'll vouch for that. Had 1 hour in a Citabria prior to flying my RV4 for the first time. The -4 lands and handles much easier on the ground...
Flying RV-4 since 1988
Flying Rans S-7S Courier
RV-8 build on hold
Old 02-09-2018, 10:03 AM

You can get rudder pedals for an RV4, mine has them. There won't be brakes back there though which would give most people some pause

I did my transition training in an RV7, and aside from sight picture it flew just like my RV4 (to my new-to-RV self). There is somebody in CA that does that. A day or so with him and you'd be all set. All my previous time was in a Citabria as well, and the RV4 is easier to fly on all counts
O320 - CS - IFR
Old 02-09-2018, 11:23 AM

Default Checkout in a RV-6 or RV-7

My insurance company wanted a sign off from a CFI in a RV-6. I went to Jan Bussell in Central Florida.
RV-8 N184RK (flying)
Flying an A320 to pay the bills
Exempt and gladly donating anyway - Current through Jan 2019
Old 02-09-2018, 11:46 AM

Yeah, they're all just another airplane. Sort of.

If you're a gifted pilot, fly with pressures on the stick, can adapt to a new airplane in the first three seconds, and your skills are current, no problem -- like Bob Hoover did when he rolled a Russian airplane on takeoff on his first flight. The rest of us, to some degree, benefit from getting at least a little bit of a feel for new handling characteristics.

You have a good variety in your flying background, but I didn't see anything with light control forces, like an AA-1 or gliders. Yes, if you're up to speed, you can explore the rest of the flight envelope yourself. I had to do that with the -9A because there was no training available in it. I had 500+ hours in other RVs, so I was able to teach myself.

If you ever make it to Savannah, I'll take you around the patch in the -9A. We might both learn something. :-)

Ed
2018 dues paid
Retired - "They used to pay me to be good, now I'm good for nothing."
Old 02-09-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I've been told you actually don't have to dance on the rudder as much with the rv4 as you would a Citabria. Any truth to that?
I don't relate to the comments that the RV is easier. IMO the Citabria is virtually the easiest most forgiving tailwheel airplane ever. You can land them with sinful slop that the airplane just shrugs and soaks up. You can practically take your feet off the rudder on rollout. Unless there is something wrong with it, any pedal pumping dancing on the rudders in a Citabria is just pointless hyperactivity on the part of the pilot. The RV is about as easy and stable as they come as well, just more responsive and with lighter rudder pressures on the ground compared to the Citabria. You should have no trouble with the RV if you are a current and basically competent tailwheel pilot. Your insurance requirements may be the biggest question mark for you. You will probably overshoot some power off approaches initially because the airplane is so clean with a low descent rate at 1.3Vso and doesn't slip well compared to the Citabria. Much more floaty on landing if you carry a few un-needed KTS.

My only caution to you about the RV which has bitten some pilots new to the design is that the RV has one of the lowest aspect ratio wings of anything out there. Quick and high drag build at high AOA. If you get into a situation where you're power off, too slow, with a high descent rate, and try to arrest it with elevator only (bad move in any airplane), you can slam through ground effect in a way that's less forgiving than some other airplanes. You can bend/break something even with those flexy spaghetti gear legs. Super straightforward airplanes.

Last edited by luddite42 : 02-09-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:41 PM

Not Arizona... but the experience is well worth a trip to Houston (south).

Bruce Bohannon is approved by Gallagher Insurance (and others) for RV -3,-4, and -8 transition training, he'll sign you off when you're ready, and he won't milk your pocketbook. Bruce uses an RV-8 (LODA) with rear seat rudder and brakes. Quality transition training is priceless, and Bruce will treat you right. Search the forums for "Bohannon" for testimonials.

Have fun with your new bird!
Students build the airplane." -Glen Salmon

Dedicated to the historical preservation of the RV-1 Aircraft
and organized for the purposes of promoting, supporting,
fostering, and engaging in aviation and aerospace education.

www.RV-1.org
www.EaglesNestProjects.org