What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics shelf behind the panel

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
Can anyone point me in the right direction for design ideas for an avionics shelf behind the main panel in an RV-8?

The panel is almost all Dynon Skyview, but several of the modules need to go behind the panel: ADSB, Com radio, backup batteries, VP-X, etc.

I'm not seeing anything in the plans, nor finding anything here on VAF.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

RV-8 Avionics shelf

Here are a few pics of how I did it. Although I used Garmin, the concepts may help.

Bend .063 on both ends, slight bend on flat end to fit perfectly on the forward support structure. Added bottom brace to make sure no movement/vibrations in ADAHARS

Build vertical support to allow some modules to be vertical because not enough room to lay flat.

Nutplates were added to allow the modules to be Removed easily

Mount xpdr on Z bracket so it can be slid in and out under avionics shelf. Make sure to leave enough room got connections on end of xpdr.

the radio stack will be on the left over top of the xpdr

Radio stack now installed

I really recommend you cut an access door in the baggage compartment to allow access

Pray all the smoke stays inside when you're done

Last edited:
Top of Map Box

I used the top of the map box as a shelf for mounting both Skyview backup batteries, the EMS and AIRINC 429 modules. A tip though, do not have your standby compass near batteries that are being charged. DAMHIKT.
Cheers
Nigel

Yep.

Bob, has it, as most of us just shop fab a flat shelf that goes from the bottom lip of the panel cover to the stiffener on the bulked at the rear of the front baggage. You can make it as you need to handle what you will put in there. We have a nice 10" G3X touch to the right of the radio stack, so we just pull that out in about two minutes and we can get to anything inside the panel. We also put a rear cove plate on that bulked between the baggage and the radio bay. With the EFIS and the cove plate off you can service most anything in that radio bay. It takes some time, but lay it out to your needs and leave a little room for new toys down the road as well and it will work out. Your on the right track here. Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Chuck,
You can look on my builders web site link at bottom. Go to avionics link on the right I have some pictures of the way I did it but I put the EMS module in the front baggage lower bay. Makes that bay kinda useless for baggage but you kinda run out of space and have to do what you have to. Hope this helps and I did do the door mod for access and glad I did only mod I didnt do and wish I had was the gear tower.

Back