What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing fuse wire connectors

Guilhermepilot

Well Known Member
Hello, are there connectors to wires be disconected btw wing and fuse? When I atach my wings at the airport would be a lot easier just to plug my wires, not to mention if someday I need to remove my wings not have to cut those, anyone has pn or some direction where to find a right model, I see something on internet but not sure about. My wires are 16awg. Whelen led strobe whelen par 36 LDN lights

Thanks captains

Most builders elect not to use connectors at wing roots. Just another place for corrosion. I agree it would make it easier to remove wings but I did as most do and will not cut wires. If I were going to it would probably be some kind of cannon plug that could be mounted stationary to fuselage and use di electric grease to help combat corrosion. Have not looked for any but good web sites for electrical is mouser or digi key

I started with expensive waterproof connectors at the wing root, but relaized that there is absolutely no room between the wing and fuselage to ever get to those plugs if I had an electrical problem.

So I ended up cutting the plugs off and rewiring both wings with 24 inches of extra wire.
As I mounted my wings, I pulled the wires into the fuselage under the seat pan.

I bought some of those screw type junction strips, but decided I didn't need those either.
I made a service loop and used spade connectors on each wire with a piece of heat shrink over each connection.

Then I riveted a couple tie wrap holders to the side of the seat rib and tie wrapped the bundle to it.

I thought, how often am I going to remove the wings that I need a plug connector?

I did use connectors at my wing roots. I found it easier to terminate them at a known location while they were apart. I used 16 pin CPC connectors.

One distinct advantage is that when I put the wings on and plugged in the wires, I found that I had mis-wired two wires for the aileron trim servo. Tracing those wires became very easy since I had access to the pins at the connectors. I found where they should go, extracted the pins, and pushed them into the correct location.

I can't speak to any corrosion concerns in the long term, as I'm just started Phase 1.

wing wire connections

Here is how I solved the wing wiring connection issue. Similar deal for the other wing. The tie wraps will be replaced with lacing cord shortly.

I don't know the origin, but someone once said the only way his RV wings were coming off is a forced landing between two appropriately-spaced trees. After installing the wings on my RV9A, I know why it was said.

This is a long way of saying don't go to a lot of trouble planning for that day when you might have to remove the wings, especially from an A model. Wires will be the least of your frustrations.

Good Comments

I considered connectors but decided the wires could be easily pulled back through the conduit.

If you want a good connector, use the Deutsch sealed connectors. Go to your Caterpillar dealer and get them. They will withstand the worst pressure washing, salt ,grime, you have ever seen and still seal for decades. I can get a Deutsch reference if you really want it.

I used these Surface-Mount-Male-Faston on my RV-12.
Later, Van's Aircraft started selling floating connectors that allow removing and installing the wings while automatically disconnecting and connecting the terminals without touching them. See Vansaircraft parts "THE LIST" and search for
ES-00077 CONNECTOR FEMALE 8C $7.50
ES-00078 CONNECTOR MALE 8C $7.50
No matter what type of connector, apply grease to prevent corrosion.

Here is how I solved the wing wiring connection issue. Similar deal for the other wing. The tie wraps will be replaced with lacing cord shortly.

Bob - one thought came to mind when looking at the photo of your wing root wiring... Your transponder coax is bundled parallel to signal wires (OAT, perhaps trim and trim position sensing as well). It's generally a good idea to keep this kind of high power transmit coax away from signal wires, or if it's not possible to keep them separate, have the coax oriented perpendicular to the signal wires.

If there's a way to route the coax away from your signal wire bundle you might save yourself some future headaches.

wires

Mark,
I agree. This area is not finished yet. The Coax is for VHF #2 but the same principal applies. They will be separated. There is enough room to pull it forward away from the wiring bundle. Thanks for the input

I did use connectors at my wing roots. I found it easier to terminate them at a known location while they were apart. I used 16 pin CPC connectors.

If one doesn't have the luxury of installing the wings and then doing the wiring, a connector makes sense. In my case, I want to do everything I possibly can before moving to the airport, including system integration and testing, so that I maximize the work that's done at home and minimize work done at the airport some distance away. The idea is to bring it to the airport, bolt the wings on for good, hook up the fuel and wiring and flight controls, run the engine, and do the inspection--ideally being ready for flight within a couple weeks of arriving at the airport. Having a connector there helps make it possible to do that.

I don't know the origin, but someone once said the only way his RV wings were coming off is a forced landing between two appropriately-spaced trees. After installing the wings on my RV9A, I know why it was said.
... don't go to a lot of trouble planning for that day when you might have to remove the wings, especially from an A model. Wires will be the least of your frustrations.

Well said. I couldn't agree more. :D

If one doesn't have the luxury of installing the wings and then doing the wiring, a connector makes sense. In my case, I want to do everything I possibly can before moving to the airport, including system integration and testing, so that I maximize the work that's done at home and minimize work done at the airport some distance away. The idea is to bring it to the airport, bolt the wings on for good, hook up the fuel and wiring and flight controls, run the engine, and do the inspection--ideally being ready for flight within a couple weeks of arriving at the airport. Having a connector there helps make it possible to do that.

that is what I plan as well, just move to the airport and bolt the wings, that one of my reasons

I considered some type of quick disconnect plug at the wing root but now I'm glad I didn't.

1. I installed and tested everything (strobes, position lights, heated pitot, autopilot roll servo) before moving to the hanger by simply rolling the wings in their stand close to the fuselage and connecting wires with jumpers.
  2. After the wing bolts were installed, I realized the wings were NEVER coming off again under any normal circumstance.
  3. It only took about 2 hours to pull the wire through the wing conduit and connect to the various components. I left a service loop in case something needs to be replaced.

Back