What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SB 14-01-31 which side is up?

kjlpdx

Well Known Member
the doubler parts, HS-00001, have a hole which is slightly non-symmetric. the instructions don't mention which side is up. does the hole set above or below centerline of the part? here they lay nested showing how they are not symmetric.

I had the "which side is up" question too. I called Van's. The lower spar splice angle has one inch legs. The doubler has holes spaced 1/2 inch from one edge and 3/8 inch from the other edge (reference Figure 6). The 1/2 spaced holes go down which should put your holes near the center of the 1 inch leg of the lower splice angle. The upper angle has 3/4 inch legs so the side of the doubler with the holes spaced 3/8 inch from the edge goes up and should put your holes near the center of the 3/4 inch leg of the upper angle. One other easy way to tell is the that the edge of the doubler with the dished out relief at the bend line goes up. Hope this helps.

One more thing. The side that is down in your picture goes up (note dished out relief at the bend line).

One more thing. The side that is down in your picture goes up (note dished out relief at the bend line).

Correct.

The "dished" portion of the one edge is slightly visible on the top edge of the HS-00003-L in Fig. 7 on page 12.

It is much more obvious in Fig. 8, on page 14.

I see the 3/8 and 1/2" offsets now. makes sense. they should have made a note. [back when I was building we had hand-lettered plans, and apparently paper was very expensive, because lots of notes were crammed in the corners :) ]

Back