What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Windshield/canopy edge sealant

RV8Squaz

Well Known Member
Often times when an aircraft is painted, the painter will add a bead of sealant or some type of caulking around the edges of the plexi where it meets the fiberglass. If you had this done on your plane when it was painted, could you please tell me what type of sealant was used? Is it Proseal or some type of Permatex silicone? I know there has got to be a 3M product out there for this purpose.

Thank you!
Jerry
RV-8 N84JE

We used pro seal. Tape off both sides of the edge to be sealed and be careful. It will turn out great

Phelps

Our body shop uses seam sealer that is paintable and flexable it is fusor # 800 made by lords. That is what I plan to use.

Proseal

I have seen some professional paint on rv's that have this perfect kinda rectangular bead of proseal applied there. I just wonder how they can get it to look so "factory". I can run a bead but I doubt I could get it that perfect. Anyone know how to get such a good bead?

bird

I think painters are good at what they do and have a lot of practice laying tape lines. I have also been impressed by consruction workers and their skills with a caulking gun. I called a bunch of paint shops today and most use Proseal or a variant of Proseal. All but one stayed away from RTV silicone. Thank you for all your help!

Jerry
RV-8 N84JE

Back