What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where did you mount your fire extinguisher??

lancef53

Well Known Member
Just wondering where people have installed their fire extinguishers in a RV8, I am not sure where to put it?

Thanks in advance!!

Lance

Mine is right on the back of the front seat, mounted horizontally. And yes, I have practiced getting it from that location while strapped in the front seat! ;)

Paul

I mounted mine under the fwd ledge of the front seat pan and I also have practiced grabbing it while strapped in.

On the right side "mid cabin cover"

I think that's what those surfaces are called. On the left, the fuel selector valve is in the middle of the left mid cabin cover. On the right side mid cabin cover, I put a fire extinguisher.

Lance...

Quite a few people, as with Chad, have not fitted one - including us. In fact, in the UK, I would say ~50% of RVs only, maybe less, have them fitted?

I am not suggesting you do not, but it is "an option". There are issues with accessibility, when/how you will use it and not extinquish yourself as well, and enusring it is not a loose article hazard.

A search on the forum should reveal previous debates :eek:

Andy
RV-8 G-HILZ

Just wondering where people have installed their fire extinguishers in a RV8.....Lance
I mounted a fire extinguisher underneath the right sill. My reasoning was it is out of the way and easy to get to.

259khdt.jpg

Rick, I like the sill method. It looks like an easy place to get at. The cover opposite the fuel selector would also be good, but where would I put my charts?:) I will have to look into the spot behind the seat, and see how it is to remove. That makes sense, that is basically the same spot as we keep a fire ext. in our other planes.

I tried a search in the 8-8A forum for fire, and came up with nothing on mounting a portable, just debates on what to do after the fire starts.

Thanks for the replies, keep em coming.

Rick posted a picture in another link. After seeing it, that is where I put mine (not flying yet). That seems to be the best place to me. Easy to get to and out of the way. Dave

Lower left corner...

DSC_0006-1.jpg

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Check your Halon weight

I bought one of the Halon extinguishers from Aircraft Spruce at Sun-N-Fun and had it mounted on the right Pillar. It only lasted about two years or less. I pulled it off one day to work on something and noticed it felt very light. Checked it on a postal scale and found it was empty!:mad:

possibly stoopid question...

;) but has anyone rigged up a system to route the extinguisher into the engine?

near right gear tower

on the back of the baggage area bulkhead works really well. Out of the way yet reachable.

I mounted mine on the inboard face of the right gear tower. I had opened the area between the two access holes on the gear towers for ease of access and covered with a 0.063 plates (for strength). I mounted the extinguisher to the right cover and it is out of the way and very easily accessed by the pilot.

Halon Engine Fire Supression

Bought this system from Safecraft and mounted it in the fwd baggage area. A red T-handle with "FIRE" labeled on its face is mounted on the left gear tower toward the pilot. Pulling the T-handle opens the spring loaded valve and dumps the 13lbs of Halon through 2 120 degree nozzles I have mounted near the firewall covering all oil and fuel sources as well as the firewall itself.
141pgg2.jpg

Back