What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

cool hangar mate

dhall_polo

Well Known Member
I don't think my dash-seven could have had a better hangar mate on the 4th of July. As cool as my little bird is, not all tail draggers are created equal.

web.jpg

Cool!
The mats under the wheels - what for? To protect that shiny sterile floor?

The practice of putting mats under the tires is to keep tire marks from forming on the floor. Not all taildraggers are created equal, neither are tires. The mold release compounds on some tires will leave black marks on floors like int he picture and do not come off. So carpet is put underneath them.

Beautiful pic. Two of the best airplanes in the world, side by side.

Look at the Teddy

That P-51 is the one in good company. Even the bear is oggling the -7! :)
That is one good lookin tipper -7.

Joe

Details?

Don,
Where is the P-51 from and what was the occassion that he came to stay in your hangar?
I would love have a Mustang come to stay with me for a while, but I would settle on just having my hangar that clean, and the gentleman cleaning the floor as pictured!

sizzlin liz

Sizzlin Liz is based on Jacksonville, FL. I was down there visiting my sister and her husband, David Marco, who is the owner/pilot of Sizzlin Liz. He usually brings it to sun-n-fun. It's meticulously restored and won Best in Show at Osh some years back. You have to feel sorry for him because an old airplane like that really needs to fly at least once a week.

I did take David up for a ride so he could appreciate the joy of flying on a bit smaller of a scale. He's a fan of the RV's.

Frank-
You are so right about the P-51 being half Brit. Until the Merlin was mated to her, she was just another so-so plane. The magic of the Merlin is what made her a fantastic all-round ship.

(We can still turn inside a Mustang with our RV's though...that should buy you at least another 30 seconds of life in a dog fight with a 'stang.)

What?.. cough!

But having OUR engine assembled in YOUR factory hardly makes it YOURS now does it..:)

Mind you..I'm really glad you did or most of Europe would be speaking either German or Russian right now!

Frank

Cool Plane - Cool People

Don, I met your brother-in-law and sister at a JAX fly in about a year ago. They made a stellar entrance with Liz! Really nice people and Dave really did seem interested in RVs. There were many planes and people on a crowded ramp and Dave was answering 100 questions (50 of them were mine) about Liz. He did walk across the ramp to take a look at GG and asked a few questions. We agreed to get together for flight so he could see what they are like. Unfortunately I had to return to work early, but Dollarhide and the gang at Haller NAS got him up in a RV.

But having OUR engine assembled in YOUR factory hardly makes it YOURS now does it..:)
Packard doesn't get near enough credit for the improvements they made to the Merlin in such areas as bearing materials & supercharger design. Maybe their biggest contribution was in redesigning the engine for mass production using unskilled labor (many women) instead of the slow master-craftsman hand-fitted method used by Rolls. American developed hydromatic props, Prestone coolant, & 100+ oct fuel were also crucial to the success of this engine. Packard Merlins powered all the P-51s plus thousands of Lancasters, Mosquitoes, & Spitfires. The Merlin was a very good basic design by Rolls, but its development into a real star peformer, available in the quantity needed, was very much a joint effort between Britain & America, as was the P-51 itself.

Last edited:
Back