What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Error on Page 29-19

jswareiv

Well Known Member
Step 5 says to Machine Countersink the holes in the F-01405K Guides. See Figure 2.
Step 6 says to Dimple the holes in the F-01405K Guides. (Same Part)
Drawing says to do what's in #5. Actually you want to dimple F-01405K and CS F-01405H

I notified Van's and a change to the plans will be made. I don't think anyone mentioned it yet.

Resurrecting this old thread because there is still an error on this page in revision 1, which is dated 3/3/2015 (2 months after the post above).

The written instructions have been corrected from the post above and now say:

Step 5: Machine Countersink F-01405H shims
Step 6: Dimple F-01405K guides.

But the drawing has a label "MACHINE COUNTERSINK, TYP" which erroneously points to the F-01405K guides instead of to the F-01405H shims.

I honestly don't remember what I did when I came to this section but I have two questions:

1. Is the shim material thick enough to countersink? It would seem obvious if a part is too thin..

2. If you did mistakenly countersink rather than dimple a shim, would it matter? The shim is there to take up space and doesn't seem to have any significant structural function.

I honestly don't remember what I did when I came to this section but I have two questions:

1. Is the shim material thick enough to countersink? It would seem obvious if a part is too thin..

2. If you did mistakenly countersink rather than dimple a shim, would it matter? The shim is there to take up space and doesn't seem to have any significant structural function.

The shim is thick enough to countersink for the AD3 rivets that go there. I dimpled the guides and will countersink the shims. If you dimpled the shims (also possible, I think), then you could just countersink the crossbar that the guides and shims rivet on top of.

The shim is thick enough to countersink for the AD3 rivets that go there. I dimpled the guides and will countersink the shims. If you dimpled the shims (also possible, I think), then you could just countersink the crossbar that the guides and shims rivet on top of.

I looked at the wrong version of the plans!

Makes sense - I think I followed the written instructions so it wasn't an issue.

Back