What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTX 35R, best option for me?

It sounds like the best option from where I'm sitting and as you stated the 1090 will allow you fly on either side of the pond.

Since the 35R is only OUT I assume that you have an IN source to display on your G3X, yes?

Sounds like a beautiful panel. :D

I have no idea about what input/export fees are for you. But Trig is based in Europe, perhaps cheaper? A TT-22 can read the ?ADSB+? output from your GTN, works in the US as an ADSB-out device. While nice to have, ADSB-in is not required in the US.

What I am thinking about now is that a GTX 45R would provide Backup attitude to an Aera 660.

So one option is to skip the planned backup EFIS (G5) and put that money into a 45R instead of a 35R, Then I would have ADS-B In as well and weather when flying in the US. Problem with this thinking is that the G5 with the optional battery is a great stand alone backup, if I use the 45R/660 as backup then I need to provide a more fault tolerant electrical system...

Hello Control,

It is better than nothing, but we wouldn't consider the attitude sensors in any ADS-B receiver to be a substitute for a G5 in IMC. The G5 is the real deal.

We announced last week that the G5 is now approved as the backup instrument for G500 and G500 TXi systems in over 600 certified aircraft.

The G5 is also a backup for the autopilot system should your G3X Touch display(s) become unavailable.

With your GTN (or Aera 660) and G5, you can fly autopilot coupled to the flight plan anywhere in the world. Now that's a backup instrument!

yjRjv1u_kFHuCt_70B6nuk_nIFtZ9oo5y2CN9qZfnfoTZ-Zi3nM-P-C31GcJfrtYm8scuEtrua9poimB1OWFhZyDqe6WqqScz_5LF_8Ti_r55tr-S5ThUS8qiRig8UYsaAw5eZfelH2YVb2tyY4sH0Xg-gDoJcf39g7HghxOI__eb2AqwLb3WFNcYZs727yVlhZU5__QPt1BIrP-af1YlounGA7InBLmCzr5En_YC-Uz_bFc1ugyM8I9-GutOFb6RDJoYmKddpUS5y9yk1Wd4LT8y_k35rjbGvz_R8_fnqhJV-jrv0HE01C7Co2_ZZGR7xU-nMAmELmTgqi77BMyZp-_NQkahjnBoQXk5PJDWIZdVwovjhQ1gAhlYlKudO6p9CLOTCPwAODtY6ugOfdVXty5gN9UdPKqiqwt4aODFyaIIcafEN8IOqtqHXnojhfV7b-783E3P90eJNyAmQP1kF9zsBKNNlMsLiUSAlu2xzm7UGBr212_x66uKy8ZxJOfJ4_O7RmDeY5_OmVF7hIg14TSZpqdqLXqLnHlmUj_c1xwWaimlRoVZXvGFRHgv9NRfPDZB2zJBGA2Mtrkjfcj-O_N3GTR4wNQmmrXs3g=w446-h690-no

You might think about buying the GTX 35R and G5 now to complete your IFR installation, then when you get ready to come to the U.S., buy or borrow a GDL 39/39R/50/50R/52/52R ADS-B receiver to connect to your display(s) and receive ADS-B traffic and weather. Your Aera 660 will also communicate via hardwire or Bluetooth to any of those receivers just as it would a GTX 45R. Lots of great options.

Thanks,
Steve

I just ordered my 35R to go along with my gG3X and GDL39. Cheapest way I?ve seen to get fully adsb compliant. The 45r would be nice to get weather and traffic on the 650, but that screen is already cluttered enough

Extra Antenna though

Correct me if I'm wrong but timberwolfs solution is a good one (35R instead of 45R), but if you go that route it requires a gdl of some some sort later on down the road for IN as well as another hole punched into your craft for the additional antenna......?? Correct.
Maybe G3x expert could chime in.

Last edited:
Ed,

I was lucky and my plane had another blade antenna previously used for a DME. I was able to hook my GDL 39 into that. Use what ya got!

Yes, if I want ADS-B in and ADS-B weather then I need another toy ;)

But the GDL 50 or 52 does not require any additional antenna apart from the built in one, the 52R does...

Hello Control,

Good point. You can use Bluetooth to connect the GDL 50/52 on your glareshield to the GDU 4XX and Aera 660, or we offer a bare wire cable with dual serial ports and power connection that snaps into the side of the GDL 50/52 that you can use to wire into these displays.

The small plug on the bare wire cable could be tucked away ready to plug into the GDL when you bring that unit aboard the aircraft.

Thanks,
Steve

Back