VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-21-2018, 10:44 PM

My 7 slips just fine. It's not as dramatic as in the Citabria I took tailwheel lessons in, but it does work.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:02 AM

In a 9, FWIW, I find that slips work really well. Alternatively, simply lowering the airspeed on final about 5 kts to about 1.25-1.3 Vso rather than my 1.3-1.35 Vso normal approach speed also helps shed altitude real fast and is my preferred method if close to the ground.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2019
Old 02-22-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
What's it really matter? If you are slipping in the pattern, chances are good you are high and trying to lose some altitude. That is not a bad situation to be in, high on final, low on fuel, and a sputtering engine.
Well... I've seen situations with thermals and downdrafts where the slip took care of the thermal, but then I needed power because of. sinker...
2018 dues paid
Retired - "They used to pay me to be good, now I'm good for nothing."
Old 02-22-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Wischmeyer View Post
Well... I've seen situations with thermals and downdrafts where the slip took care of the thermal, but then I needed power because of. sinker...
You do have a point there Ed.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 02-22-2018, 09:11 AM

Default Slipping an RV

I have slipped my RV-6 for 23 yrs. with no adverse effects. Standard fuel pickups. Just watch it in base to final and don't get too slow. It will spin out in the opposite direction of the slip. Really a surprise.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:53 AM

Default Spin from Slips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrv6180 View Post
I have slipped my RV-6 for 23 yrs. with no adverse effects. Standard fuel pickups. Just watch it in base to final and don't get too slow. It will spin out in the opposite direction of the slip. Really a surprise.
This seems to be something that varies from pilot to pilot/plane to plane. I can pull my RV-8 into a stall while in a full-rudder slip (in either direction), and it does not have any tendency to spin. The key is that spin entry typically requires yaw motion such as a skidding turn or a "kick of the rudder" at the moment of stall. A steady slip does not do this. However, if you happen to stall at the moment you are kicking in the rudder for the slip, then you may enter a spin.

Skylor
RV-8
Old 02-22-2018, 10:20 AM

Seems counterintuitive but using full rudder deflection in a slip makes it more resistant to snapping out of a slipped stall than partial rudder. Full rudder yaw produces some elevator blanking and once you get to the point of full elevator, the rudder is blanked such that they combine to produce a very spin resistant condition.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
Itís really hard to slip an RV at cruise speeds. That big rudder is really hard to push out into the wind. I have pressed on it at cruise, never hard enough to endure a true slip.
I'd be careful about trying to put in full rudder (or any other flight control surface) at cruise speeds! Do that above Va and you are asking for structural damage/failure.

RV-7 slow build
Tail kit COMPLETE
Wing kit COMPLETE
Fuselage kit COMPLETE
Old 02-22-2018, 10:50 AM

Default Slipping with Flaps

I slip my RV-4 on almost all landings to the south a my home field. We have 60+ trees right at the north end of the runway to a 2700' grass strip. There are 40' trees about 300' from the south end. As soon as the trees disappear under the nose, I begin a moderate slip down to just before the flare. I end up using less than half the runway with this technique, but like the fact I have some excess distance in the event I'm not 100% on my game.

Sure, it doesn't slip anything like my J-3, but it still comes down quite well with full flap slips. And my experience is a stall from a slip will only result in the wings rolling towards level. If you continue to hold opposite rudder through and past the stall, it will indeed spin the other direction.

1994 RV-4 N4WJ (Purchased/Flying)
1946 J-3 Cub N7155H (Restored/Flying)
1946 Globe Swift N3368K (Purchased Restored/Flying SOLD)
1987 Starduster Too SA-300 (Purchased/Flying/SOLD)
1994 V6STOL (Built w/dad/SOLD)

US Army Retired (still working to pay for flying)

When my ship comes in, I'll probably be at the airport.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
What's it really matter? If you are slipping in the pattern, chances are good you are high and trying to lose some altitude. That is not a bad situation to be in, high on final, low on fuel, and a sputtering engine.

I slip almost every landing because i keep my patterns tight, and I have never had an engine so much as sputter.

Bill, I am really surprised you asked why does it really matter!

You make assumptions about where people slip their aircraft, where they are trying to get into, the ability of the pilot to deal with a sudden engine our, possibly followed by an engine coming back to life when not expected.

Look up landing at Stanton in the Uk on google. The one with the light aircraft not the gliders. I tried landing there the other day and had I had either scenario happen there would be one less RV 4 in the world.

Basically it an up hill strip 600 metres long easy in an RV. But you have to land uphill even with a tailwind, and there are high power lines on the approach. You will see them on the video. Now bear in mind the aircraft in the video has a stall of 26mph so was approaching at about 40, this made it easily doable.

I tried two approaches in my 4, the first following the approach in the vid, the second coming straight in over the power lines with about 10 knots on the tail.

You will have noticed that there is a hangar right at the end of the strip, so in a go round you are not only trying to out climb the hill but also clear the hangar!

So there I was down to 60 on approach slipping to loose height, if the engine had stopped I would have no choices I would have crashed. So, this is why people need to know not to slip with the lowest wing supplying fuel.

We are not all blessed with 2400 ft asphalt runways, 1100 ft on grass is often common in the Uk, with trees at each end! You really donít want the donkey stopping if it can easily be avoided by switching tanks if you know you are going to slip on short final.

Still love the EI commander!

Steve Arnold
England

In completion stage of Loehle P5151
Built and now Flying G.BVLR Vans RV4
Rebuilt G.BDBD Tailwind
Rebuilt G BVTN Kitfox
Built G CDCD RV9A with WAM120
Riveted wings on Glastar G.LEZZ Now (G. SKUA)