What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Modifying mixture cable end

sblack

Well Known Member
I have an acs products vernier mixture cable with a male thread on the carb end. This is what both vans and spruce sell. Naturally it just doesn't quite fit for various reasons that I won't bore you with. All my problems would be solved if I could run a die down the threaded end for another 3/4" and lop off the last 3/4" to shorten it. But there is a stainless outer sleeve that the end of the threaded part would disappear into unless I shorten it too. Unfortunately it seems that the pushrod can't be removed from the outer sleeve so my only option is to put that stainless sleeve in my lathe and try to very carefully slice off 3/4" without knicking the rod inside. Has anyone here tried to do this? Or is there a way to remove the inner sleeve? Any advice appreciated.

I am sure there is a way to do it, but haven't done so on the vernier cable. Others that I have disassembled had balls and springs that fall out on disassembly, so if you experiment, do so over a container.

I have done similar cut off operations and used my cutoff tool or dremel. There is a lot of clearance between the pushrod and sleeve, so you should be able to easily see when you just go through the depth of SS. You should be able to file it down if you have a set of mini files. It only needs to be smooth, as it is covered with the rubber cap.

Last edited:
All my problems would be solved if I could run a die down the threaded end for another 3/4" and lop off the last 3/4" to shorten it.

There is no way I would trust my mixture to cut threads. The factory threads are rolled which provides much greater fatigue life (virtually unlimited in this application).

ACS will make you a custom cable. Expensive because it's worth it.

Last edited:
There is no way I would trust my mixture to cut threads. The factory threads are rolled which provides much greater fatigue life (virtually unlited in this application).

ACS will make you a custom cable. Expensive because it's worth it.

Would look into making another mount, or ordering the proper cable. Would not consider modifying the threads. YMMV

Back