What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sort of Lost Over Here

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
10y0zs3.jpg[
I need some help, I am installing RV8a main landing gear fairings on my RV12. Somewhere I thought they were held together with a hinge on the open side, but not having any RV8 instructions I am not even sure. Does anyone have a log entry or a photo of the plans on the main landing gear fairings to share?

Last edited:
Check to see if VHB double stick tape will work. Much easier and better looking. Did it that way on 3 RV6'S.

The standard way to do it is with a piece of piano hinge Don. You mount the hinge forward of the trailing edge enough so that when you put the hinge pin in, it pulls the trailing edges together in a sharp, thin edge. When you see the drawing, you first think it's a lot of work, but the truth is, it takes about an hour and you're done.

Then again, they don't need to come off very often, and I have seen people tape them, glue them, use spray foam - none of which makes them easy to remove. But I've taken them off the Val, let's see.....uh.....never in 11 years of flying (that I can remember).

Like Paul said - it's similar to what's done with the nose gear leg fairing. btw, you can use a heat gun to warm the intersection fairings to help you shape them better to the fuse and wheel fairings.

Don, the RV-8 fairings I ordered for my RV-12 came with a set of hinges and fitting instructions. Are they sitting on a shelf somewhere?

No way, mine did not come with anything at all. I was not even sure at the time I had ordered the correct ones, there was some confusion with the descriptions. I have plenty of left over hinge stock though.
I would love to see the instructions though if you could take a photo of them maybe?

Don, the RV-8 fairings I ordered for my RV-12 came with a set of hinges and fitting instructions. Are they sitting on a shelf somewhere?

No way, mine did not come with anything at all. I was not even sure at the time I had ordered the correct ones, there was some confusion with the descriptions. I have plenty of left over hinge stock though.
I would love to see the instructions though if you could take a photo of them maybe?

Industrial Velcro ! 300+ hours and doing great for the RV12

Last edited:
Industrial Velcro ! 300+ hours and doing great for the RV12

I tried the Velcro first. Couldn't figure out how to get it to stick to the fiberglass. It came unstuck every time I took the fairings off (I fly locally with them off so I can preflight the wheels, brakes, etc. and put the on when I'm planning a longer trip). The hinges were a bit more trouble but go on & off easily.

No way, mine did not come with anything at all. I was not even sure at the time I had ordered the correct ones, there was some confusion with the descriptions.

Same with mine ...

Just a followup, a VAF member graciously emailed me the RV8 wheel fairings plans, and I am following them now. Thanks for all the help.
I think I will rivet hinges on them, but I was out flying in an RV9 yesterday, and noticed that the paint was tending to come off of the rivet heads, do you suppose this was just poor paint prep?

Don on my 8 I used the bigger hinge first and could not get the pin in and out so I had to go back and use the hinge that the plans called for it has a smaller pin and more flexible. My mistake didn't look at the plans close enough the first time. And on the rivets I countersank them a little deeper and filled them with some micro and epoxy and sanded down before I used the raw epoxy squeegeed on to entire surface.

The Fiberglas is quite thin and these rivets tend to start working if you don't "bed" the hinge in epoxy, proseal, or something. I have taken mine off once in 9 years, a couple years ago at 500 hours. I felt the need to inspect the gear leg every once in a while. They won't be coming off again for at least another 500 hours, maybe more....

Back