What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming Gray

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
Anyone know if there is touch up paint for the stock Lycoming dark gray they use on their factory engines? There's a few places I'd like to touch up. Is there a known color code for this?

There appears to be multiple products claiming Lycoming Gray. I don't recall if I got mine from ACS or Skygeek, but the color was significantly different and darker than my new engine

I manage to scratch up the valve covers pretty good so I wanted to repainting them. Fortunately, since you only see the covers outside the baffling, it doesn't look bad.

Good to know as I was planning to spot touch up some areas. Sounds like it would be patchy at best if I got one of these.

I'll try to remember to look for the can tonight when I get home. At least that way, you'll know which product not to get (unless you like the darker color)

I did find a photo from last fall when I painted the covers. As you can see, the tint isn't even close.

FP13102012A0004E.jpg

I bought a can of Lycoming Gray from our local engine builder. $15 a large spray can is expensive, but it matched. Might consider that as an option if there is an engine builder in you area. If your engine was custom built for you, maybe your builder will sell you one. Dan

A quick google search on "lycoming gray engine paint" turned up lots of suppliers for spray cans. Much less than $15 a can!

I found my can, it's Tempo Lycoming Gray Engine enamel, sku#219 from Spruce. As you can see from above, it doesn't match.

Hummm... That's weird. I have the same can of lyc gray (#219) and the color is a good match except for the gloss level. Much lighter than your rocker covers. Not sure why the color would vary so much.

I don't like the high gloss because it looks like my engine is covered in oil.

Hummm... That's weird. I have the same can of lyc gray (#219) and the color is a good match except for the gloss level. Much lighter than your rocker covers. Not sure why the color would vary so much.

I don't like the high gloss because it looks like my engine is covered in oil.

That is even more concerning to me. That would imply a quality control problem or even worse, Tempo is sourcing from different manufacturers and isn't controlling the paint tint specification.

My baffling is white, so it doesn't look bad when everything is assembled. Although I wouldn't want to spray on the rest of the engine.

ACS does sell another brand of paint in Lycoming gray, but not in a spray can.

Local sources in Australia?

Hi All,

Does anyone know where to find a grey similar to the Lycoming grey in High Temperature paints in Australia? I normally use the VHT range of high temp paints, however they nor Wattyl or WhiteKnight appear to have anything near as dark as the Lycoming grey. I'd get it direct from Spruce, however given that they won't ship me a tube of Torqueseal unless it goes Hazmat, one can only assume this would be in the same category.
Cheers,
Tom.

It isn't a VHT, it is a good old fashioned enamel.

Get the colour matched at a decent paint shop in coach enamel and you will be fine. Check out what Randolph sell as Lycoming engine paint.

The rattle can paint I bought at Chief aircraft was a good but not perfect match to the ACS Randolph Lyc grey I originally painted with.
Tim Andres

Hi Mike. Randolph lists it as a high temp enamel, but I haven't been able to find the tech specs. I spoke with the paint guys here and they said their regular enamels were only good to around 200*f, whereas the high temp ones are 550*f or 650*f depending on the type. I just picked up a can of VHT 550*f enamel in Ford grey and I'll see how well that matches.
Tom.

New Ford Grey

FWIW the duplicolor engine enamel DE1611 New Ford Grey seems to be a good match for my lycoming that was repainted at OH.

Back