What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel !!!!!

for RV7Guy

Have you check for clearance? Your radio stack look very close to the top of the panel and when your tip-up is closed there is a support structure that extends down about 2 inches into the next forward bulkhead.

Just curious.

Kent

Panel clearance

I'm going to put on the canopy next week. I don't think there should be any problems. The panel was layed out by www.experimentalair.com and it is all CAD designed with appropriate clearances built in for the flavor you are building.

I will be checking when I finish this email. I'll let you know.

Darwin N. Barrie

My Panel

Hi Ben,

Thanks for doing that. I know it is a pain to do and I thought I had it.

Darwin

Panel clearance

Hi Kent,

I checked (the beauty of having the hangar attached to the house) and everything will clear fine. The only area you have to be concerned with is the hinge point area. Otherwise, as long as you are below the panel you're fine.

Darwin

Here's mine!

Here's mine finally in the plane for good. It's been long and arduous, but it's turned out well in the end.

IMG_4611.jpg

IMG_4612.jpg

Here's the econo panel that will ultimately go in my 4. Nothing fancy, but all I need a day VFR hotrod.

ASI $128
ALT $205
VSI $199
G-meter $160
Compass $55
Icom Radio $724
Used Collins Xponder $500
Intercom $198
EIS $877
ADI $1080

TOTAL $4126
(less switches, wires, etc.)

panel4vv.jpg

Steve Zicree

Here ya go Darwin...
When your photo is hosted somewhere, you need to right click the actual photo and copy the address properties into the "Insert Image box" you click above. Then you are using the photos actual location and not the entire page link. ;)
panelbaggagetemplate0137zr.jpg

Last edited:
kcameron (KEV)

Txaviator, Did you find the name of the builder of the molded panel? I'm interested in trying something like that. I like the idea of the radios and other displays pointing more toward the PIC. Perhaps someone else knows where I can find a blank like that?
Kev

Sorry I missed your post/question last month! I just saw it. The panel I posted (taken at the Texas RV Fly-In) is listed to N16DD (RV-6), which is Richards Stevens, out of Montgomery, TX. I don't recognize the name as being a poster within this forum. I got his snail-mail address and plan on shooting a letter off to him. In the interim:

* Does anyone know how to contact Richard Stevens?
* Does anyone know who manufactures this panel (the basic panel layout itself)? Or is it perhaps a custom-built panel? Looking at it up close, in person, it appeared to be an injection-molded product? :confused:

nice7si.jpg

Last edited:
Another Glass Panel, No vacuum pump

Panel consists of:
TruTrak autopilot, 2002 Advanced Engine Monitor, Garmin Nav-Head, GRT EFIS,
Airspeed Indicator, Turn Coordinator, Garmin Audio Panel, Garmin 430, SL40, GTX 330 (love the TIS) and if all goes black, we rely on Control Vision's Anywhere Map, Anywhere Attitude, and Anywhere Weather for NEXRAD.
panel1rw.jpg

driver's side dashboard

I'm working out last minute adjustments with amp meter, volt meter-- static adjustments.

minipanelat503tg.jpg

future N410S panel

Hopefully I will get to "light it up" soon. Still waiting on the Pictorial Pilot. I have the plain DigiTrak but I upgraded.

img_7572.jpg

While I have not finished my panel am I posting the first Dynon D100 ?!?!

PA189220_JPG.jpg

PA209228_JPG.jpg

EDIT: I have had a few e-mails regarding the brace behind the instrument panel. I am currently modifying it for the D100. You can see more pictures and what I have done on my site - go to My RV7 Build Diary, progress is around 25-Oct-05).

Another comment has been about instruments - VFR. In the UK we don't have an Experimental category. We operate on 'Permits to Fly' these restrict us to Day VFR only. Some builders in the UK may have more kit, but it adds weight and IFR is not permitted.
I plan to position my CB's and switches in a row at the bottom of the panel from left to right, I have allowed sufficent space for them to continue under the transponder if necessary.
There are still items to be added - Glovebox, compass, switches/CB's, intercom etc.
I have a tip-up canopy, am planning to have the AF-2500 controller fitted to the top of the glovebox to allow better access.

Your welcome to mail, I am building - and keen to complete - so a reply may be slow. But I will reply to all (if you don't get a reply I have not received your mail).

Last edited:
My RV7A Panel (so far)

Hope to have it ready to fly around April :eek:

Sorry I had to take the link to my panel pic off, too many hits for my free storage provider :-(

My web site only allows so much bandwidth per month, and two day is all it took to go over.

Last edited:
Latest iteration of my panel

Here's a crummy photo showing the latest iteration of my RV-7 panel...
I added the Garmin 396 (custom mount) and swapped the 3 1/8" Pictorial Pilot for the smaller 2 1/4" version. This also shows the Roady2 XM.

panel-20051102-800x600.jpg

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D (661 hours)
http://www.rvproject.com

N715AB Panel

Here's a picture of my panel. I just added XM Weather to my dual GRT EFIS screens. The plane has about 90 hours on it since May.

Gary
n715abpanel3cj.opt.jpg

RV-7A Panel, N320NW

Here's 2 pic's of my panel. All Electric.

The PIC seat is the right side. I did it that way since I fly alot of Formation and Aerobatics, and I'm a right handed type of guy.

MB

My RV7A Panel

Just received the Panel from the Waterjet cutter.
Here are a couple shots..
With the EFIS displayed on the EMS10.
dsc003295ru.jpg

With the EMS10 in regular mode.
dsc003389ok.jpg

The Stack will be sporting a PMA6000, KMD150, Garmin SL30, SL40 and GTX327 Transponder.

Richard Glick
RV7A Working on Canopy and now Panel.
Slinger, WI

RV-7A with Aerosance FADEC, Superior XP-360 IO engine. Fixed pitch prop means single lever flying. 200 hours. An inexpensive glass panel. Provides lots of information.
P6292122vaf1.jpg

Panel (in progress)

GRT EFIS, Garmin 296, TT ADI2, Garmin SL-30, Garmin 327, GRT 4000.
Superior XP-360 Plus FP. Update 11/28 to show current reality. Old image still available.
N17hhActualPanel.jpg

Last edited:
If the panel doesn't have to be finished (or even started), I'll post my preliminary thinking:

IMG_4540.jpg

Switches will be along the bottom in the middle.

davepar nice cutouts

Davepar,
where did you get the exact size inst. cutouts? I will use almost same inst. in my 8. I need dynon 100 efis and engine monitor. air gizmo/196, dual icom200,audio panel,garmin 327
nice layout.
thanks,
jeff h

I put all of the images in http://www.dualrudder.com/instruments/.

I cut and pasted them from various sites and used IrfanView to set the dots per inch so that they'd print the correct size.

I'm not sure if IE will print them correctly. You might have to save to disk and use an imaging program to print.

Dave

lsu-rv said:
Davepar,
where did you get the exact size inst. cutouts? I will use almost same inst. in my 8. I need dynon 100 efis and engine monitor. air gizmo/196, dual icom200,audio panel,garmin 327
nice layout.
thanks,
jeff h

I used this method to get printouts:

1) Go to the vendor website/other sources to find images of the instruments you're looking for. Right click on the image and save it to your hard drive.
2) Once you have all the images you need, use a word processing program (such as MS word) to create a new document. You can usually click and drag the image files into the document and you'll see the instrument there.
3) In MS Word, double-click in the image. Click on the size tab and you'll see that you can set real-world dimensions to your image file.

This works really well and I've found the measurements to be extremely accurate with what I've printed on my office laser printer.

Some things to consider:
Make sure that the image doesn't have some sort of invisible border around it. You can see the border on the image when you select it (single-click) in MS Word. If there is a border, you'll need to bring the image into an image editing program so you can crop out the border. Also try to get the largest (highest resolution) image you can find.

Finally completed

panelbaggagetemplate0268sv.jpg

Finally completed minus final labeling. Details:

2 plys of 45 degree carbon fiber with 4 layers of fiberglass underneath. Attached to alum panel with 4-40 SS socket head screws with anodized shoulder washers from my RC stuff.

Dynon 10A, Trutrak T&B, Trutrak Digiflight II VSG, AF2500 engine monitor, EXP switch panel, LC40e lighting circuitry, Garmin 340 audio panel, Garmin 430, SL40 comm, Garmin 330S transponder, XM Roadie II radio, Approach Systems wiring hub.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ

martin, imagine if you will -- a time when that whole panel will be LCD-- plasma tv-- :) different quadrants for different features.

so that panel of yours is extremely futuristic.

Finally completed

Also forgot to mention the EL strip for lighting under the dash. Picture of panel messages up.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ

So long as we're going off the deep end...

mark manda said:
martin, imagine if you will -- a time when that whole panel will be LCD-- plasma tv-- :) different quadrants for different features.
so that panel of yours is extremely futuristic.

Why be limited to the space of an instrument panel? I want a helmet mounted HUD!

You would be talking about the F-35 (Joint Strike Fighter) cockpit! Flew the mock up at tailhook this year... it's amazing.

Image-EAE948ED053411D9.jpg

Thought I'd post an updated pic since the panel is almost done. In the empty space will be a Garmin 296 or 396 in the AirGizmos panel dock.

img_8359.jpg

The Best

Keith, Very nice panel!
If I had your money I'd do the same. ;) Heck, if I had any body's money I'd do the same.
Best side by side panel I've seen.
I am a little partial to GRT...

Roger
RV-9 Flying

After months of planning and hard work, most of the stuff has been fitted and wired up. Last night I have switched on the power to some instruments.

rvbou395.jpg

:p :p :p

Glass panel with two EFIS Sports

We are planning on a glass panel with 2 Efis Sports and one VM 1000C in it. As 'e-panel builder' I used SolidWorks, a 3D cad program. Eventually this will give us the files to lasercut the panel.

duosportvm1000cview1small4bv.jpg

duosportvm1000cview2small0ox.jpg

Suggestion for Rene

Nice looking, but I would recommend placing the two Sport EFIS vertical. This would allow you to move the round backup gages closer to the pilot.
If you had to go partial panel, being way over on the right would be a big handycap.

I have done something simular with my panel. You can see my post about it here:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=5255

Kent

Curious

For those using the BMA sport, isn't there some issue with using it as a nav head? I can't remember specifics, but if I remeber right, it won't work for anything but the SL-30 serial interface as it doesn't have the other inputs that the Lite does?

Thanks

Thanks for clearing that up... I'm actually going down the dual chelton route, but I had provisioned for a single BMA lite as a backup EFIS for a down the road upgrade. It can also function as a CDI for an approach certified GPS, a second upgrade that i've provisioned for. I knew there was a reason why I liked the Lite over the Sport, but couldn't remember why :)

Thanks for clearing that point up.

Alan

txaviator said:
Sorry I missed your post/question last month! I just saw it. The panel I posted (taken at the Texas RV Fly-In) is listed to N16DD (RV-6), which is Richards Stevens, out of Montgomery, TX. I don't recognize the name as being a poster within this forum. I got his snail-mail address and plan on shooting a letter off to him. In the interim:

* Does anyone know how to contact Richard Stevens?
* Does anyone know who manufactures this panel (the basic panel layout itself)? Or is it perhaps a custom-built panel? Looking at it up close, in person, it appeared to be an injection-molded product? :confused:

This looks like the customizable panel that Troy Grover of Grov-Air sells. I've seen a couple examples of Troy's panel in RVs being built at the Grov-Air shop and they look great.

N66AP panel

n66appanel3tr.jpg

OK, so it is a 6A panel and I'm contaminating the 7/7A forum. I finished this plane about 4.5 years ago, just before the big "glass" revolution. I have been very happy with the layout. A couple things I considered important in the panel layout were to group the switches logically (no long rows of switches), and to physically arrange things for a smooth checklist execution (my hands move along a set path without jumping around). For example, the fuel boost pump is next to the mixture, the flaps can be toggled with the hand that is on the throttle, etc..

Back