What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New EFII System 32!

Bluelabel

Well Known Member
EFII just released the info on the new, fully re-engineerd system. All designed in house from scratch. The skunkworks at Cable airport has been busy!!

http://www.flyefii.com/system-32/

https://www.facebook.com/FlyEFII/

Robert had the components at Oshkosh and a few of us were lucky to see them. Welcome to the 21st century and say goodbye to 1990's ECU technology.

Here's what I know:
-There will be an upgrade path for people either with equipment in hand or in flying airplanes
-The new ECUs are backwards compatible with existing wire harness. If you want injector trim, a couple wires need to be added.
-The new ECUs also share the same bolt hole pattern, so swapping should be easy.

EFII will have a corporate booth at Reno in the sport plane tent.

Robert can chime in and answer questions I'm sure....

:eek:

Wow. Just... wow. Time to upgrade already. And I'm just trying to get past first engine start this coming week. Wow. Drool.

Nice to see the response to the SDS advances in the last couple of years. Competition is good for the consumer.

Couple of questions:

Does the system allow full adjustability, or is the "controler" an interface for one to just input the basic engine architecture and the system figures out the rest.

There were some concerns from the EFII camp when SDS came out with the individual mount injectors. It seems that has changed. What material are the EFII mount bases made from?

Last edited:
Light years ahead

Of any competition.
And yes, the controller gives full control as well as a very smooth AFR reading from something like the PLX O2 sensor.
I'm sure Robert can fill in any blanks.

Last edited:
features that catch my eye, and a few questions for Robert:

3D mapping! Great! This will be much similar to other standalone ECU's on the market for automotive types. I'm assuming that tuning will be accomplished with a laptop and the SD cards?

3 o2 sensor inputs? Any provisions for closed loop modes with variable AFR targeting?

Will there be AFR logging directly onto the 3d fuel map?

Looks pretty cool

Caleb

Maybe I missed it but how much is it going to cost? What does it weight? Any provisions for head mounted electronic injectors as opposed to the induction tube type? The controller looks cool.

rocker box covers

The EFII looks cool, but I really want to know where I can get some custom rocker box covers made - perhaps with RV on them or RV8 or 360 or IO360 :)

EFII System32

We thank all who have emailed and called asking about our new System32 engine management system.
http://www.flyefii.com/system-32/

This represents a 20 year leap forward in the available engine control technology for our segment.

There will be many questions about the details of the system. You can start with the information on the flyer linked above. We will post more information on our website as it becomes available.

We will start shipping ignition systems this Fall and full EFII systems in 2018 using the new components.

Many people are expressing an interest in upgrading from the old parts. This will certainly be available to all of our current customers.

If you have a specific question, please contact us directly at:
[email protected]

Come visit us and the new parts at the Reno Air Races next week. The EFII booth will be in the pits with the tented sport class teams.

Thanks,
Robert Paisley
EFII

Last edited:
features that catch my eye, and a few questions for Robert:

3D mapping! Great! This will be much similar to other standalone ECU's on the market for automotive types. I'm assuming that tuning will be accomplished with a laptop and the SD cards?

3 o2 sensor inputs? Any provisions for closed loop modes with variable AFR targeting?

Will there be AFR logging directly onto the 3d fuel map?

Looks pretty cool

Caleb

Since I know Robert is at Reno, I'll answer what I do know..

The port mount injectors are an option, yes. Robert has always maintained that the intake mount is preferred. The port mount does make it a lot easier in a retro fit situation.

I doubt there will ever be a closed loop situation with regards to AFR, you can ask Robert about his thoughts on that.

Yes, all engine info will be logged into the system and recorded...

If your at Reno, swing by Robert's booth to see the new stuff and ask as many questions as possible.

There were some cylinder heads on display with electronic injectors in the primer ports. He referred to this placement as the cold side if I remember correctly.

Huh?

Measured inflight air temperatures ballpark at OAT plus 15 to 20F for the top side.

Bottom side air temp is typically 120F to 220F measured at the cowl exit, depending on heat transfer efficiency. I've measured air temperature as high as 254F at the cylinder wrap exit inboard of the CHT probe on an angle valve head.

Hard to believe a primer port location is on the "cool side".

The display of the new EFII System 32 at Reno had what they refer to as "Port Mount Injector System" or "PMI". These electronic injectors (not Bosch) were fitted in the primer ports of cylinder heads on display.

An illustration can be seen by clicking this link http://www.flyefii.com/system-32/ and scrolling to the last page. Look for the picture of the cylinder head with EFII valve covers labled, "Port Mounted Injector System" (PMI) to see what I'm referring to.

They still offer the option to place the electronic injectors in the intake tubes.

I picked up a nifty sales brochure on the new EFII product but seem to have misplaced it.

Methinks I was wrong about that.......sorry Charlie.

No worries. I forgot what kind of injectors they said they use.

Great seeing you at Reno Mike! Looks like the Rookie Mark Fredrickson #31 "Tenacity" out of Cameron Park won his class. Congratulations! I know you put work in on that!

I have been running my SDS injectors in the primer port for the last 75 hours on my parallel valve 360. I can't compare to other positions, but it has worked so far.

I have been running my SDS injectors in the primer port for the last 75 hours on my parallel valve 360. I can't compare to other positions, but it has worked so far.

Got a picture?

Injectors in the lower cowl space obviously work. It's just interesting to hear the location called "the cool side".

Can anyone confirm the material that the EFIi injector bases are made from? I'm talking specifically about the part that threads into the head. From the pictures, it appears they are anodized aluminum. Also, can anyone confirm the PN of the injectors themselves? The site has a vague reference that they are "full sized".

Got a picture?

Injectors in the lower cowl space obviously work. It's just interesting to hear the location called "the cool side".

From: VAF Forums > RV Firewall Forward Section > Fuel Injection Systems > Caleb lesher SDS EFI RV-7A

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1154922

I used Ross's Throttle body, and didn't want a scoop, so this is what I came up with. I Used a metal piece of aluminum tube in the shape I wanted, then carved a foam block for a transition. It holds a K&N Filter in the left cowling baffling.

20160818_154630 by Caleb Lesher, on Flickr

20160818_162819 by Caleb Lesher, on Flickr

20160819_123750 by Caleb Lesher, on Flickr

20160819_133916 by Caleb Lesher, on Flickr

20160824_194520 by Caleb Lesher, on Flickr

20160824_194524 by Caleb Lesher, on Flickr

Does anyone have a price yet??

I was quoted a price of $6,195 for the whole system (hardware only, which would upgrade my O-290 to injected / single lever operation as well as dual electronic ignition). Don't know what installation would run, but assume it requires little things like tuning individual injectors. I also confirmed that the entire rig could be re-used on any 4-cylinder Lycoming, although the throttle body might have to be swapped out if diameter or mounting brackets are different. That means you could strip it off and use on another engine, re-mounting mags and carburetors to make the engine "certified" again if you wanted to swap.

From the pictures above I'm wondering how Caleb is going to deal with alternate air for snow, ice and rain conditions?

EFII

Hi Pete,
The EFII system is a complete engine management system providing electronic ignition and electronic fuel injection.
The GAMI products are related to mechanical fuel injection and a different ignition system.

For more information, please visit our website at www.flyefii.com.

Or contact us directly via email at:
[email protected]

Good luck with your project,
Robert Paisley
EFII

Back