What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Delaying tailcone attachment

madmaveric

Well Known Member
I'm going to have to delay attaching my tailcone until as late as possible (ideally till after engine and avionics) as otherwise I won't be able to do any engine work (or even have space to take delivery of the engine)
As I am now approaching the point in the plans where you attach the tailcone I wanted to ask those that left it until later what steps I can safely skip.

I'm thinking skipping the attachment and continuing from 23-05 with attaching the turtle decks (or should I also skip this as well?). (Section_25.pdf).

Spell check got me! TailCONE! But I had the original D180 version. There may be some nuance associated with Skyview or GTX touch that I did not encounter.

I didn't notice that until you pointed it out, I think the dyslexia got me on that one (it's always waiting in the wings if the spell checker doesn't get me :D)

I plan on starting again on the Turtle decks. I'm planning on the Dynon and the cabling will have to be left bundled in the baggage area until ready (together with any control cables)

Yep

Vans told me to wait until the airplane is ready to fly, then take a day or two to attach the tailcone. You'll have access to the fuel tank, wiring, control cables and so on.

Best,

I agree on the tailcone attachment delay

I'm actually in the process of doing my avionics and have all of my controls in place (with the exception of the cables to the tail, obviously) and plan to wait until after I have the avionics and engine install completed before I attach the tail and feathers.

Aside from the easier access, it also makes moving the fuselage around easier if needed to get around in an ever more crowded garage. I plan on attaching my tailcone and setting up the rudder and stabilator right before I fire up the engine for the first time. Then, putting the whole thing on a truck and heading the airport where I'll mount the wings and get ready for AW inspection.

At least that's the plan...

Luckily for me moving it around isn't a problem, as in I can't anyway :D Well forward and back wards the length of the tailcone and side to side about 2 foot is about all I can manage in my shed.

Ideally I'd like to do the same as rongawer although I may have to attach the tailcone at the airport (outside parking only for me) so I might look into adding the tailcone and moving it to the airport the same day, that will just mean fitting the wings (for the the first time) and attaching the tail feathers.

The alternative for me is to rent a garage/workshop at the end for a week to fit wings, tailcone and feathers.

I'm going to try an limit how much work will be needed at the airfield, being outside and no power I want to finish as much as I can before I get there. I'm also not sure what I'm allowed to do there (international customs airfield so lots of rules).

I just thought of another issue I will have. As I'm painting it myself I will need to paint before moving out.

I guess removing the engine at the end (so I can fit the tailcone and paint) would be the better way to go as the painting could take a while, not sure how much work is needed to remove/refit the engine but probably a better solution for the move.

Could you paint the fuselage in two sections, then attach the two pieces and go back and paint the rivets that hold the forward and aft sections together?

I have considered painting in two halves, and may have to if it comes to it.

I'm trying to avoid that if I can as the paint is metallic red base with clear coat, which would mean the rivets would look dark red/black if I tried to brush paint them (anyone who has tried touching up metallic with a brush will understand what I mean)

If I do end up doing it in sections I guess a spray can and a card and hole in it would work, I would just use the brush for the primer/clear coat.

I also considered using the vinyl wrap I have left over from the tail to put a stripe round the join (covering it up and adding some extra colour at the same time) but I will see if I need it when the time comes.

The ideal solution would be to win the lottery and move somewhere with a two car garage :D

I'm going to try an limit how much work will be needed at the airfield, being outside and no power I want to finish as much as I can before I get there. I'm also not sure what I'm allowed to do there (international customs airfield so lots of rules).

I guess you're going to be based at Hurn? If you call Moses Magrabi at Airtime, or Malcolm Craft at MCA Aviation, you might possibly be able to get some temporary hangarage whilst you finish things off. Both are private pilots as well as running light aircraft maintenance companies. Alternatively, have you thought about a temporary move to Hensdridge or Compton Abbas?

I guess you're going to be based at Hurn? If you call Moses Magrabi at Airtime, or Malcolm Craft at MCA Aviation, you might possibly be able to get some temporary hangarage whilst you finish things off. Both are private pilots as well as running light aircraft maintenance companies. Alternatively, have you thought about a temporary move to Henstridge or Compton Abbas?

I am planning to base at Hurn.

From what I understand the cost of hangarage is a bit expensive (and limited) so I'm trying to minimise/avoid it if possible. Although I did hear that Moses may have a spray booth that sees little use :D. At the moment I don't know how far I can get where I'm building it so I won't know what I will need until near the end of the build.
Thanks for the tips (I vaguely know Moses but no one else on the field for this kind of thing), one of the issues I have being new for flying is that I don't have the contacts round the airfields yet, so it is always good to identify people that might be of help down the line.

The last two kits will be going on a loan/mortgage so I'm trying to keep the costs down at the moment (the value of the pound is adding a lot of expense I hadn't budgeted for when I started), this means things like wheel pans etc will be left until a later time once the finances have regained after the build. The more I spend now means it will take longer to pay it off and get the extras :D

I had considered other fields but being 5 minutes drive from Hurn is hard to beat, but if it doesn't look like it is going to work for the final assembly/testing then I will be looking at other fields to finish it off. I already know of one RV12 now based at Henstridge.

Compton is my favourite airfield to date (not been to Henstridge yet) but it could be viable for final assembly/flight testing before basing back at Hurn.

Last edited:
I have also been thinking the build sequence and would be interested in hearing feedback on what I am proposing.

I am done with the fuselage kit except for:
- Attaching the tail cone
- Installing the rear window
- Have not riveted on the instrument panel base (i.e. the new rivet callout has been used)
- The rudder pedal assembly is put together but not installed yet

I have just finished painting the interior and am going to start on finish kit.

My proposed sequence for the Finish Kit is:
1. Delay section 30: Wing Attachment until the landing gear is installed in section 35 Landing Gear and Engine Mount
2. Install the rudder pedal assembly and instrument panel base
3. Install section 31B: Fuselage Wiring Harness
4. Install section 32: Flight Controls (i.e. will not be able to make the final connections to the rudder and stabilator until the tail cone is attached)
5. Install section 33: Miscellanea
6. Install section 34: Canopy Installation
7. Install section 35: Landing Gear & Engine Mount
8. I am not planning on installing the optional sectional 36: Gear Leg & Wheel Fairings
9. Install section 30: Wing Attachment
10. Install section 37: Fuel Tank
11. Attach the tail cone (i.e. the ADHRS stiffener has already been installed) and install the rear window
12. Install the rear tail cone fairing (i.e. stabilator is to be installed to ensure the proper clearance)
13. Delay section 38: Cowling until the engine has been hung to ensure that it is properly aligned to the propeller hub

Brett
Columbus, IN
Starting the Finish Kit

Brett,
I would hold off on installing the fuel tank until after the tail cone is mated. It will make it MUCH easier for you to install the fuel tank venting hardware. Below is a photo of the wiring installed in the tail cone and the space I left myself to install the ADHRS.

I actually installed the wiring and ADHRS in the tail cone prior to mating by canting the tail cone sideways (was in a hangar so had the room). The fuselage and tail cone were on benches (same height) with wheels. I also left the side skins off for a very long time and when they did go on, I left the forward portion unriveted so I could reach in from the sides to install the rudder pedals with no fuss at all.

My cowl was installed after the engine was installed and resulted in a nice fit.

DSC09376.JPG

I'm installed the adsb ant. in tail cone along with the vans support bracket while tail off. It's easier to install the flaperon act. to wings with the tail off. Have fun

I have installed my turtle deck skins (I was going to leave them off but wanted to paint them in place when I do the interior in the next couple of weeks), I will leave the tail attachment until after I have done the engine (will probably then have to remove and refit the engine at the field).
Now I just have to turn it on it's side and paint it before continuing.

I did some work on the seat backs today and it took a lot of looking and squinting to convince myself that Figure 1 and 3 on 26-03 is shown looking from the rear of the seat back.
The shape of the seat back makes them appears as shown from the front, which means the hinges don't look right in the drawing.
Just thought I'd mention this as anyone looking at this post will be around the same section and might have the same visual issues with image.

Thanks for the responses.

Good insight to install the tank and tank vent after the tail cone is attached. I?ll make that change.

I have been assuming that the rear window should be installed after the tail cone and turtle deck skins are attached (i.e. to get the surface that the rear window will attach to to its final shape). Make sense?

Also, I have had the goals of minimizing / preventing having to crawl into the tail cone and delay purchasing the avionics kit (i.e. I realize these goals are in conflict). Maybe, like the ADHRS stiffener bracket, it would be good to install any needed brackets now.

In addition to the Dynon ADHRS and ADHRS stiffening bracket, what gets installed in the tail cone?

Thanks.

Brett
Columbus, IN

Delayed response

Hi Brett, I had a few moments to surf through VAF and just realized that your questions were not answered. Here's my answers:

1. Yes, not only is it ok to delay installing the window, it's recommended by Van's to make rear access easier.
2. You also have the stabiliator trim to mount and connect, along with the pitot static ports and hoses.

Unless you're building E-AB and modifying from plans. I went with the original ADHRS location for my Garmin GSU25 (Van's drawings now have the Dynon magetometer installed there) and mounted my GMU22 out in my right wing. I also have my transponder and ELT mounted back there on a shelf I custom made (thank you Joe Dallas for the idea). I'm also installing an LED beacon at the top of the V-stab.

All the more reason to delay attaching the tailcone.

Back