What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kentucky to Seattle need ideas

ty1295

Well Known Member
Next year I am in the planning stages of making a flight from Kentucky to Seattle. I have lived here in Ky since 2000, but grew up in Seattle and in the past 16 years driven this route more than once.

Planning for ~3 days each way. I have some ideas, but would like to hear what others would plan, places to fly over to/from, etc.

Maybe Vlad would be a good one to help. :D

There are many ways. If you want to stay low, I'd go to Cheyenne, up through central Wyoming to Pocatello Idaho, through central Idaho to Boise, then angle up to pick up the Columbia river to Portland, then up the coast.

Which way have you driven? I'd say, choose a route that doesn't cover the same area you've gone before.

Ergo, if you've gone the I-40 route across the center/southwest, then go a northern route up through the Dakotas/Wyoming/Idaho.

If you've driven the north route, then go south across OK/NM/AZ, then fly up CA and OR.

If it were me, I'd chart all the air museums I haven't been to and stop/overnight at places that fit your route/endurance. Something like the SAC Museum in Omaha followed by the Warhawk Air Museum up near Boise.

Last edited:
I've driven the US fairly extensively. I-90 north route, I40, and down through Denver all more than once.

Nice thing about our hobby is "where we are going we don't need roads".

I like the Columbia river idea, St Helens is one of my ideas floating and that plays into that.

Reminds me of the last XC I went on prior to getting out of the Army in 1990.

We flew three Blackhawks from Savannah, GA > New Orleans > mid-Texas > Waco > March AFB > up the coast to the San Fran naval yard (since closed) > under the Golden Gate Bridge > over Alcatraz > up the coast to Seattle. Had dinner and a good Bourbon in the Space Needle.

Return route was over Mt St. Helen > Reno > (don't recall the rest but mostly direct).

Took about 2 weeks. I was a lowly crew chief so had lots of time to snap pictures.

I like the sound of that, although not sure how well they would like the under the bridge part of things.

Jeff, if you are around the Caldwell area, let me know. I keep a car at the airport if needed. Have fun on your trip. Check with DarinA . He just flew in from Seattle area on Sunday to show me his plane and cowl. He knows the route.

Billings (BIL) is just about on a direct (Great Circle) route from Lexington (LEX) to SEA. From there, you can follow major highways through the Rockies to Mullan Pass (MLP). After that the elevations drop off rapidly.

The southern Wyoming route works as well for avoiding hostile terrain.

Cheers, David
RV-6A KBTF

nice!!!

wow....how do I get the flaps on my -9a to reflex up like that?????

must be good for another 10 kts.?

..and yes, tres desolee!

The Lancair airfoil has a high pitching moment. Above 140 Kts, the plane wants to fly like a wheelbarrow if I don't reflex the flaps 7 degrees. Supposedly less drag, too...

I'm not a very religious person, but when I was over that trackless desert I was sure praying that my engine didn't quit on me. I was in contact with ATC the entire time, though, which was a great comfort. Also, somewhere between Denver and Salt Lake is where I learned to wear Depends on long flights :eek:

we fly to and from a couple of times each year...

We fly Seattle to Bowling Green and beyond a couple of times each year. There are lots of interesting views from the air along the way. Stoping for more than a brief turn is always a trade off on time though... if you stop to go to town, eat, and have a look around... poof there goes 2-3 hours. If we have the time it is nice but once into cross-country mode I prefer to be in the air ;)

There are lots of destination diversions along the way... en-route flyby musts are devils tower, the badlands, the big men at Rushmore.

We have done it in a day both directions... It is a bit long and takes three long legs but favorable winds going East and 2 hours of time zone change for extra daylight going West help.

The farther North that you cross the Rockies the terrain is lower and the crossing is not as wide. I plan for single leg either way. Leaving the Seattle area we typically plan the first stop at Johnson Co KBYG, in Buffalo WY. Coming home, we stop farther north and west to minimize the last leg and enjoy the hospitality of a small town and airport courtesy car for a meal... numerous options.

Last edited:
Back