What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slick Mag Installation Manual

UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - can anyone point me toa link where I can download the installation / operationss manual for a Slick Mag?

I've searched here and on on the Web without any luck.

Thanks,
Jason

Thanks for the links, but unfortunately I'm not seeing what I am looking for.....

Last night I removed the cover on the mag and installed the ignitiion wiring. There are three screws that hold the wiring harness onto the mag.

The screws are countersunk screws, w/o any lock washers, etc.

Does anyone know if there is a recommended torque value for these screws, and should I use locktite, or some similiar to prevent them from backing out?

Thanks,
Jason

I don't recall a torque value... there are no lock washers, a small drop of blue loctite and lock'em down will work just fine.

Thanks for the links, but unfortunately I'm not seeing what I am looking for.....

Last night I removed the cover on the mag and installed the ignitiion wiring. There are three screws that hold the wiring harness onto the mag.

The screws are countersunk screws, w/o any lock washers, etc.

Does anyone know if there is a recommended torque value for these screws, and should I use locktite, or some similiar to prevent them from backing out?

Thanks,
Jason

Jason are you talking about the 3 screws that hold the cap on with torx screws?(some have been replaced with flat heads). No locktite. Just snug them up. It would be measured in a low number of inLbs.

Not sure what you meant by 'the ignition wiring'. Perhaps you meant the plug wires coming outta the cap and heading to the plugs?

Not sure what you meant by 'the ignition wiring'. Perhaps you meant the plug wires coming outta the cap and heading to the plugs?

Yup - thats what I meant.... sorry for the poor discription.

Thanks again for your answers,
Jason

I guess you could look up a #8 screw for torque... this is exactly the kind of application blue loctite was designed for. :)

I've been doing maintenance on airplanes with Slicks for close to 30 years, and have never had one of those screws back out - just snugging them up with a small screwdriver. Lots of times, there is so little clearance between the firewall and the back of the mag, there is only room for a torx bit and a little wrench, so I'd be careful about loctite - even the blue stuff might make it really hard to get them off, since you can't always get good "pressure" on them to keep the driver or bit seated. It was always a bear on the Yankee I owned - way too little clearance.

Like I said - I've never had one come loose just snugged up - don't over think it!

YMMV

Paul

I've been doing maintenance on airplanes with Slicks for close to 30 years, and have never had one of those screws back out -

Sorry Paul, but I've found half a dozen loose ones & several missing. Although it could be someone didn't tighten them to begin with.

Why would anybody be scared of a small drop of Blue loctite? It's made to break loose with minimal reverse pressure. And with a torx head screw it's not even an issue. It's not like your going to be bringing out a blasting heat torch to get the screw loose. Anyway, to each their own, I've never lost a screw either, but also have seen many screws missing.

Last edited:
Sorry Paul, but I've found half a dozen loose ones & several missing. Although it could be someone didn't tighten them to begin with.

Fair enough - I generally follow the manufacturer's instructions in the maintenance manuals, and don't recall Slick calling for loctitie, but I can always be wrong. I'm not an A&P (but the ones I have worked with have never used loctite for these screws).

Fair enough - I generally follow the manufacturer's instructions in the maintenance manuals, and don't recall Slick calling for loctitie, but I can always be wrong. I'm not an A&P (but the ones I have worked with have never used loctite for these screws).

I would not recommend loctite either and I personally have never found one of these cover screws loose. To the contrary, I have encountered some very tight screws with worn heads that took some extra work to get out.

The relatively simple task or removing a mag can quickly become a nightmare if these screws cannot be removed.

The answer to your original question is 24 inch-pounds and no loctite.

It's on page 38 of this PDF file, which should be good enough documentation...:)

http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/legaleagleXL/SlickMagOverhaulManual.pdf

Page 38 gives a torque value for the top of the mag housing. I can't find anything on page 38 regarding the ignition lead retainer cap screws torque. Also, what page did you find your reference do not use a thread locking compound? I could not find that info either. :)

Page 38 gives a torque value for the top of the mag housing. I can't find anything on page 38 regarding the ignition lead retainer cap screws torque. Also, what page did you find your reference do not use a thread locking compound? I could not find that info either. :)

Wrong pic.... I'm claiming jet lag....:)

This old Slick service letter and the Aerosport O-540 manual both give 18-20 in-lbs for the torque for Slick mag harness caps, and no mention in either about locking compound...

http://www.aeronca.com/manuals/Slick/Slick_SL2-94_01-Mar-1995.pdf Page 3

Another one here - page 7 - it is for the 4300 series Slick mags...

http://www.aeronca.com/manuals/Slick/Slick_SL1-93_01-Jul-1993.pdf

http://www.aerosportpower.com/docs/540seriesopsmansec5maintenance.pdf page 8

Last edited:
Bit of a thread revival....hopefully helps someone out.

Page 55 of Champion/Slick Overhaul Manual, bottom of Table Two, 4300 Service Parts List states: Harness Cap Screws M1553, quantity 3, are used to attach wiring harness to all magneto models.

Then page 62, Table Seven Service Limits, Service Torque Specification lists M-1553 Harness Cap Screws: 18-28 in-lbs.

Bottom same page under Consumables, lists Loctite 242 "For Bearing Cap Hold-Down Screws and Distributor Block Screws" which does not include the Harness Cap Screws. Pretty much just documenting what was already said above. Hope this helps someone.

Ordering these screws is another story. I can only find them sold in bulk.

Here's link: http://www.grummanpilotsassociation.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/SlickMagOverhaulManual.pdf

Back