What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque tube interior primer

HeliCooper

Well Known Member
Anyone have a product they want to sell me on? Looking for the best option to pour in these torque tubes and roll around.

Thanks,

Jim

Primer

I used the same primer as the rest of the interior. P60G2
Basically use anything you can pour in the tubes. Rattle can might be tough to spray out enough to pour in the tube and it might set up before coating really well but basically, whatever works.
Old film container caps fit the big tube really well.

I used self etching rattle can primer. The shorter elevator tube was easily covered end to end but the long tube took much more paint and rolling around to spread evenly.

My aileron tubes were already done when I bought the kit from the previous owner.

Torque tubes

I bought 1 gal each of etch and alodine from ACS. There is no HAZMAT shipping charge for less than 5 gallons.

I made two PVC pipe containers longer and wider than the torque tubes and simply dipped them in the PVC pipes to alodine both the interior and exterior for complete coverage. When your done just pour the chemicals back into the original containers and reuse.

Primer

I used Nason self etching primer. It is available at many auto parts stores. Should be able to get it by the quart or gallon.

I'm close to starting this step and will choosing something as well. Are the torque tubes steel or aluminum (been a while since I inventoried the kit)? I recall seeing steel powder coated parts that need interior coating. If steel, is alodining effective? I thought it was for aluminum only but never looked into it.

Alodine is for aluminium, not steel, and should be rinsed after application. Here is a good write up on the process.

http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/corrosion/alodine.htm

Torque tubes

I'm close to starting this step and will choosing something as well. Are the torque tubes steel or aluminum (been a while since I inventoried the kit)? I recall seeing steel powder coated parts that need interior coating. If steel, is alodining effective? I thought it was for aluminum only but never looked into it.
The tubes I alodined were aluminum. They are the large aileron and elevator torque tubes. There are some smaller powder coated steel tubes that you will need to prime with an appropriate primer.

Back