What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trim Tab Horns

TedsNumberOneSon

On Page 09-14, I am getting ready to rivet the spar and trim tab horns to the skin. Last nigth I was looking over some of the photos I took of N214VA at Sun and Fun and that horn was one of them I really zoomed in on.

I looks like those two pieces are practically one but that could be paint effect.

Question, would a little smear of proseal there make those two parts one and do I introduce some other risk in doing that, a loss of some degree of flexilbility that I need? I estimate to dab it on prior to clecoing together to rivet? Or does the proseal put my exterior paint system at risk?

On Page 09-14, I am getting ready to rivet the spar and trim tab horns to the skin. Last nigth I was looking over some of the photos I took of N214VA at Sun and Fun and that horn was one of them I really zoomed in on.

I looks like those two pieces are practically one but that could be paint effect.

Question, would a little smear of proseal there make those two parts one and do I introduce some other risk in doing that, a loss of some degree of flexilbility that I need? I estimate to dab it on prior to clecoing together to rivet? Or does the proseal put my exterior paint system at risk?

I don't see much benefit, but as long as you use only a very small amount it shouldn't cause a problem.
It should not be enough that it causes the parts to be separated more than they would be if there was no sealant there.

For what it's worth, I alodined my trim tab horns and they came out looking so nice I think I'm going to mask them off and not paint them.

Syrus

Excellent. I was able to get them to align pretty close together and they should look okay once painted. So last night I committed a noon error and made up my whole 3.5 oz proseal kit to put in the trim tab foam ribs. I reckon that tube is now shot. So I am looking at the kits on vans and there is a one oz what I should ordered for the trim tabs and s 3.5 oz like I just used and the quart. I know to hold off on the quarts for my tankms.

The question now is whether I need another 3.5 to do the elevator ribs or a 1.0 oz will do. Is like to order soon since that is my next page and I don't like losing momentum waiting.

Plenty of places to order sealnt other than Vans. Buy a pint or a quart and just mix small batches when you need it, you will need it troughout the build.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/ac236b2.php?clickkey=1913972

http://www.gracosupply.com/ambient

Interesting...

I have been using this one:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/prosealant.php?clickkey=16658

Probably similar if not the same. I have gone through just about ten of these in the last couple of weeks, looking back should have just ordered a couple of quarts from Vans :) At least for the tanks.

Not sure the difference, but Van's sells it for half the price of Spruce. $41 for the quart kit.

I wasn't sure what to buy at first so I got some 1 oz and 3 oz tubes for the elevator and trim tabs. After getting used to working with it I just bought a couple of quarts when I was ready to start the tanks and for the rest of the build.

I did not realize Vans had such a good price on the quart kit. I may have to make an order next week!

ProSeal - tubes & quarts

I have used all the sizes mentioned. The small 1 oz from Vans was perfect for the foam tabs - however, note that it has a very quick setup time (30 minutes). The tubes from Aircraft Spruce have the catalyst and mixer built into the tube - the disadvantage is that the entire container is catalyzed at once with a 2 hour setup, but it is easy to mix/activate and REALLY easy to dispense as you load it into a standard caulking gun and use a nozzle. I found these tubes ideal for working on the tanks (I used 6), with proper planning (see other threads on this topic). The quart size is the most economical and it's very easy to mix up just the right size of batch for the project at hand.

I've extracted the sealant and hardener from the tubes and put them into other containers (a sour cream tub and a medicine bottle) so that I could use them at a later date. Worked quite nicely and didn't make a mess.

Still subject to the shelf life, of course.

Dave

I have also put the already mixed sealer in the freezer if I have small amounts of sealer left over. Comes in handy for touch ups or filling any gaps.

Back