What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Am I Close Enough for the Big Cut?

macrafic

Well Known Member
Not sure how close I need to be to make the big cut on my tipper canopy.

I made the initial cuts all around. Front sits within 1/8" of the canopy skin all across. Same with the rear. Canopy is within an inch of the rollbar. I still have 3/4" on both the front and rear to actually get to the curve portion, where the canopy turns from vertical to horizontal. That will bring the rest of the canopy down toward the rollbar. The canopy is in a correct position front to back. I have 3" to play with on the back side. My sides are 3/4" too long right now but will even be longer when the canopy comes down more.

Am I close enough to make the big cut, or should I first trim up to the canopy bend lines front and back and bring the canopy down some more?

What a milestone! Grinning!

Not sure how close I need to be to make the big cut on my tipper canopy.

I made the initial cuts all around. Front sits within 1/8" of the canopy skin all across. Same with the rear. Canopy is within an inch of the rollbar. I still have 3/4" on both the front and rear to actually get to the curve portion, where the canopy turns from vertical to horizontal. That will bring the rest of the canopy down toward the rollbar. The canopy is in a correct position front to back. I have 3" to play with on the back side. My sides are 3/4" too long right now but will even be longer when the canopy comes down more.

Am I close enough to make the big cut, or should I first trim up to the canopy bend lines front and back and bring the canopy down some more?

What a milestone! Grinning!

Is the back sitting on the bulkhead and roll bar brace? You might spend a little time all around to get it to sit down a little more. But you are definitely close.

The larger gap over the bar, then the more wedge gap will be created after the big cut sit drops down. Be sure to pull the sides in as it causes a pucker up in the front center of the canopy. This avoids trimming too much there. (Like I did - oops)

Rich,
Do the big cut now. Once you do the cut it will fit different. Then you can continue to trim. Make sure your shop is warm. The warmer the better. Joe

Back